Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Would any of you help educate a consignor about the true value of their sewing machine? I ask because I've asked to help him/her realistically price their Jan 18, 1927, model 66 treadle machine. NO special decals, just the scroll one. Allegedly it works, but seller wants me to work with it and see if it does sew as in just because someone says it sews doesn't make that actually true.

Would you help this seller??
It would completely depend on the relationship that I have or hope to have with the seller. For a friend? Sure. Some one who gets a lot of machines and might steer me to a good one? Maybe. Someone who I don't know? Maybe, but I wouldn't get too into it in time or effort. Laura
Old 06-13-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
Miriam is right, about not harsh stuff on the older Japanned machines, but on the painted ones, I use a mild solution of dawn and water. Here is a result of that.[ATTACH=CONFIG]341847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]341851[/ATTACH]
Yummy! Looks like a cream puff! Laura
Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM

That yellow machine is so cute!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
It would completely depend on the relationship that I have or hope to have with the seller. For a friend? Sure. Some one who gets a lot of machines and might steer me to a good one? Maybe. Someone who I don't know? Maybe, but I wouldn't get too into it in time or effort. Laura
Laura, Thanks for the input. I am not sure if I'm interested in the machine or if the seller has access to additional machines. It may depend upon the seller's personality also. Chris
Old 06-13-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Laura, Thanks for the input. I am not sure if I'm interested in the machine or if the seller has access to additional machines. It may depend upon the seller's personality also. Chris
Hey Chris, if the seller is willing to actually listen to your advice and take it, versus running on pure emotion, then you can probably help them. But if the emotion is ruling, then you probably can't help them, even if you're willing. You can't make a horse drink the water you lead them to!! LOL
Old 06-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Hey Chris, if the seller is willing to actually listen to your advice and take it, versus running on pure emotion, then you can probably help them. But if the emotion is ruling, then you probably can't help them, even if you're willing. You can't make a horse drink the water you lead them to!! LOL
Janice, that is so true. I think possibly the seller equated heavy old sewing machine equalling gold level prices. I will see on Friday what happens. If the seller doesn't show, then I'll know that emotion not common sense was ruling the thinking about this machine.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Miriam is right, about not harsh stuff on the older Japanned machines, but on the painted ones, I use a mild solution of dawn and water. Here is a result of that.[ATTACH=CONFIG]341847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]341851[/ATTACH]
Oooh! Melinda I love the color of your sewing machine. She sure cleaned up nicely. Now I want a yellow sewing machine.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Oooh! Melinda I love the color of your sewing machine. She sure cleaned up nicely. Now I want a yellow sewing machine.
Thank yall much for the yellow machine compliments. She is a pretty little thing, and I still appreciate Miriam selling it to me out of her big stash of 65, and packing it so well for me. I really appreciate that she could let go of it, because I have searched high and low for one, since someone here on the board posted a pic last year, of a girls night in, fixing sewing machines, and one of their friends was working on a yellow one with a hammer as I recall. I had to have one. It is in my dining room sitting on top of another machine in a cabinet, and gets a loving pat every time I pass by it. (Pretty sure my sanity hearing will not go well, lol.)
Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Miriam is right, about not harsh stuff on the older Japanned machines, but on the painted ones, I use a mild solution of dawn and water. Here is a result of that.
wow that is one purdy yellow machine and it did clean up nicely. great purchase.

melinda what did you use on the metal parts to clean off the rust and tarnish?

mary

Last edited by Havplenty; 06-13-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

That purty little yeller machine didn't have rust and tarnish - it had grime and grunge (cleans with Awesome or Mean Green or Dawn) I spotted it just as soon as I walked into the third building the machines were stashed in. I thought Melinda was going to be very happy about that yellow machine. Anyway that was the pic I took when I got it home - that before shot... I sent it to Melinda... a diamond in the rough? It is surprisingly light weight - well, sort of. It turns real sweet too. Some machines just turn better than others. That one is really nice. Someone had done a motorectomy on it too. I kept getting delayed shipping it to Melinda - I did not have my act together at all. When my sister was here we cleaned up a few machines - very distracting.... The motor was found on a pink and gray machine. It didn't register until I went to bed that night - duh - that YELLOW motor on that pink and gray machine must go to the yellow machine. I shipped it the next day - it just needed to wait for the motor... I'm glad you like that one too Melinda - it was one of my favorites of the hoard.

I found one in the stash of machines I think I'm going to keep around. It is a real sweet running blue 15. I was playing around with it - that thing was stuck like glue. The whole bottom was covered in grease - thick grease - gobs of grease - who knows why??? The tension spring was messed up. Anyway, after I got it cleaned up it turns as sweet as that little yellow machine - Melinda will vouch for the yellow... Then I plugged it in - that thing goes!!!!!!!!! I love it. Then I found another one almost identical and it spits out bobbin cases. Just pukes them out. GGGRRRR.

Chrome cleaner polishes up pretty nice.

I went to my shop this afternoon to see if I had a cord that might work on the Pfaff and my DD showed up with the 5 GKs. Nothing like 4 of them loose in my shop. I forgot about the cord. EEEEEKKKKKKK. Miss M wanted to sew. So she helped me sort out a couple problems & clean up a recently acquired Singer 99. She insisted on using the screwdriver when we took out the throat place. She also used the goo gone on the places where the duct tape was. We got all but the tension ready to test drive it and my Mom and Dad showed up so we had to quit. We did an impromptu cookout and birthday party for my youngest son and my oldest GD, Miss G. After everybody left I finished the clean up and I figured out the tension - the spring was in wrong - she could have learned to do that too maybe. Another sweet little machine. Miss M wants so bad to learn to sew. Her momma says she has to get all the spoons CLEAN when she does the dishes first... eye roll... She sure did a good job brushing out lint and oiling - we had to pull a thread out of the shuttle area too. This kid has the patience to do some repairs!!! I'm thinking starting out getting to know the machine isn't a bad idea. All that because the other 99s bobbin winder wasn't working - the rubber doesn't meet the road for some reason.

Last edited by miriam; 06-13-2012 at 06:44 PM.