Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Why would someone who claims they restore cars use 3 in 1 oil to oil a sewing machine? The guy that I purchased this machine from told me he was into fixing up vintage cars, but didn't know much on vintage sewing machines. Eeks, just to clean the underneath side of this machine I have had to use Goop to cut through the 3in1 junk.

Folks, Please only use sewing oil to oil a sewing machine.
3-in-1 oil should be banned - it is so gross... the stuff sets up like glue and is hard to get off without a solvent - if you use solvent be careful of the painted parts.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
3-in-1 oil should be banned - it is so gross... the stuff sets up like glue and is hard to get off without a solvent - if you use solvent be careful of the painted parts.
I have spent all day cleaning this gross stuff off the machine. Machine is cleaned up, now I have to find a place to put treadle to test her. She did come with motor, but no cording. I had a difficult time removing the hand wheel. It was to cloudy and cold today to just set the machine out in the sun for some time, so I had to get out a heat gun to warm up the built up gunk.
Some of you may be interested to see what some of the guts look like on this Singer 224; so, here is a photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]343774[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4382.jpg  
Old 06-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Was looking on CL, even though I say I won't. And I found this, if anyone in the SF Bay Area is interested.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/gms/3092058340.html
Scroll down almost all the way to the end. Miriam, I thought of you. When I saw the pictures
Now when I see a machine, my thoughts are Wow, and then, do I want to clean it. A lot of time and elbow grease, or should I say Sewing machine oil.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Was looking on CL, even though I say I won't. And I found this, if anyone in the SF Bay Area is interested.
Scroll down almost all the way to the end. Miriam, I thought of you. When I saw the pictures
Now when I see a machine, my thoughts are Wow, and then, do I want to clean it. A lot of time and elbow grease, or should I say Sewing machine oil.
Too bad it is such a long drive.... I would like the refrigerator and the yellow cart and all those machines!!!!! WOW!!!! Almost as many as my shop.... and Cathy says there aren't any hoarder's finds in California.... There is one in the second row second from the left has a bed up. White on top and kind of green looking maybe - I wonder what that is? Joe would be in agony - no motors on the black machines...

Last edited by miriam; 06-21-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Unfortunately, it looks like most of those are parted out machines. I see missing parts evident everywhere and unless you're looking for a specific part machine... I won't be making the drive, that's for sure. But, if I lived in that area it would be worth the time.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Oh dear, I always get sadden when I see estate sales like this.
There are about 3 Necchi Supernovas in that grouping.

That second clown picture is way to scary.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Unfortunately, it looks like most of those are parted out machines. I see missing parts evident everywhere and unless you're looking for a specific part machine... I won't be making the drive, that's for sure. But, if I lived in that area it would be worth the time.
If you live in that area go offer a price for all those parts machines... You never know what you are going to find on those deals. Some of the ones you think are junk are good and some you think are good are junk and some times it is a fine line. I figure it is a good way to learn a lot. You don't want to give a lot for a machine with no foot control, motor or cord and parts missing. Looks like not tables but a few cases. I got tables out my ears and not enough cases. Nobody in Indianapolis has any basements so they like cases... they can hide them in a closet - probably won't sew much that way though.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM

Hey y'all I need to know...what would you pay for a working and excellent quality Singer fiddlebase treadle in cabinet? I was at a sewing market today and the owner of a local shop and I got to talking about machines and he told me he had one just sitting in storage because he needed the store space and asked if I wanted to buy it. He said 300 and I'm asking him for photos, but is that outrageous if it's in as good condition as he says? I know they're pretty rare
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM

I payed $75 for my 1889, they did have it in there living room ?? the iron's are power coated, But the head you could not really see the decals, or what was left of them, there the white and reds roses, with some blue flower ,, very thing that should have been silver was rust..

so it was a 100% rustoration,, ANNND I did not get the coffin top... at 75 no top I kick myself for buying it ...at the same time not sorry I did because she lives again.. and is as pretty as ever in my eye's

any fiddle bed I ever see addveristed that hi is the inlaid stlye, most are price a bit above or the same as most readles, say Hi of 125. every one of the 300 machines are listed month after month ..

I really liek the one I have,, mainly because once It goes, it's very easy to slow down and pick speed back up. But It take a bit more push to start from a dead stop, because the handwhhels are more bigger / heavier along with the flywheel being heavier..
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM

I would SOOOO buy that green cabinet with all the drawers. It would be great for fat quarters (after I cleaned it up, of course!!!)