Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes Miriam, that is a bobbin winder in the top. Yes, I've sewed with it and it wasn't a problem to thread. Just wanted a manual to find out about the knob that's around the reverse button. I was trying to find where the stitch length is. It's not the push button and turn knob next to it. So it has to be that knob, but it's stuck. Or someone tightened it too much, OR it might just be stationary. Who know? This machine is called a Universal De Lux.
Claudia
Ok you said the knob is stuck. You are going to have to use some Triflow and it is very tricky to get these unstuck. Turn the machine upside down and look inside as you try to move the knob - can you see where it is at? Also look at the stuff that does move and then look for what is NOT moving. You have to play detective. You can drop a drop of Triflow onto what ever you see that should move but doesn't - is this vague??? it is a hunt for sure... After you oil, gently turn the knob and punch the button. It may not move yet - keep trying for a few minutes. Then turn the machine over and move it some more - maybe Triflow - keep trying to move the button/knob. Then turn the machine end up and try again - try end down - in other words turn that machine all directions to get the Triflow into the one tiny place that is stuck. It is the oil you can't see that is stuck. You can also try heat but be careful not to melt any plastic parts. You also don't want to get your cords too hot. I have set a machine in the car long enough to get warm and that helped. I have had a couple machines that the knob turns on the shaft but the shaft is still stuck so be careful.

Last edited by miriam; 06-27-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Got the thread unstuck from the 66 and tried sewing again. Sewed 2 - 4 stitches and it won't move again. I am truly frustrated by this machine but will work on it again this evening if I have time. Lots of light helped me to see the 1st thread so am hoping I can find out what the issue is besides the carbon based unit sitting in front of the machine.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 AM

I just had a guy offer me over $3,000 for a $50 machine. Wanted me to deposit the check and send him the balance in a western union money order. Needless to say that didn't happen. I wasn't born last nite! Like someone said there are some sleazy characters out there.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer View Post
I just had a guy offer me over $3,000 for a $50 machine. Wanted me to deposit the check and send him the balance in a western union money order. Needless to say that didn't happen. I wasn't born last nite! Like someone said there are some sleazy characters out there.
What a deal!! LOL. Sad the greedy people let their brains fly out the window, and fall for this stuff.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM

Yeah, the police said it was one of the newer scams using CL. Just don't cash it, he says.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer View Post
Yeah, the police said it was one of the newer scams using CL. Just don't cash it, he says.
It's been going on for a long time, it's not new. I wouldn't have even considered accepting a mailed check to begin with. I have a friend that had a yard sale a few years ago and accepted a check from someone in person and it was a scam. Stolen checks and a closed account. Accepting a check from a faceless, stranger is even more of a risk. Nope!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Okay, I picked up the Necchi Supernova, that my sister, with help from Monica, got for me. It is Super heavy!! It is dirty with the usually dust, grime, etc. If you look past that, It looks to be in very nice condition, a very unique base that it sits on, which adds to the weight. She also picked up a manual, a Necchi accessory box, Necchi bobbins, an extra Necchi bobbin case. There are two foot controls; will have to see which one works.
If it was not for you Monica, I would not have this machine, once again Thank you!
WOW, I have this very same super-nova in a cabinet.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by notsureif View Post
geez I'm doing a parking lot meet up tomorrow morning ...then off to pick up another ol junker..

so by mid afternoon these will be sitting in my front room... unless there just to dirty..

It's been 30 yrs waiting to get thie 16 -188

The la V whatever it is comes in a Dome top case, but it's the one with ribbed end and the trick decal

Congrats on the 16-188, Are you using it for leatherwork?

Jon
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Chris,
You might have to take the bobbin case out and see if there is another thread caught underneath it.
There are lots of places to oil on the bottom of a 66, forgot a few of those myself. I was using mine last night it was very noisy, so I got the manual out and figured out where to oil on the bottom. Its much quieter now and sewing beautifully.
I got a purple onion award in the process of removing the belt from the treadle wheel, no belt shifter on this set of irons. I forgot that I have to undo the belt to take it off. I have a lovely bruise on the bottom thumb joint.
Sharon W.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting View Post
WOW, I have this very same super-nova in a cabinet.
Would love to see a picture of it, especially the cabinet.