Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Ok to those of you who have been following my plug dilemma with my Pfaff 260! DH rewired the original knee control back on the original plug with a longer cord so I can use it as a foot pedal! It works perfect! I don't need the 'whole' plug in! Now I just have to go to Sew Classic and get the cord that Miriam originally said I should get for just the left side of the plug!

Nancy
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Jon, I really don't have major plans on that 16-188, but have always wanted a walking foot and was close to buying something used but much newer turns out this a 1922,, in the photo it looks bad , but for this type machine it's very clean...

I picked up the 128 in a parking lot ,, then off to get the 16, which was 40 out of the city and an old dairy farm.. ofcousre it was in the barn,, which was full of OMG you would have wet your pants on what they had in there ,,,

want a old framall cub ,, how about a cider press,, maybe a grain mill, or the two 1940's alum canoes in the rafts...????????

well the barn owner was her landlord,, he say " you know I think these still an old sewing machine in here ??? he walks off and comes back saying yep it's back there bout would be hard to get at.... I ask if he wants to sell it .. he hmmm's, then say the I don't kno what is worth,, I told him th eprices I have paid ,, and was honest 15 $ to 100$

after all I just gave her a 100 for that 16 ... so I just ask him .. would you take 20$ sight unseen..he already said it's falling apart.. sold 20 bucks haven't even seen it no machine head ...

we go to get it out and there is a machine,,, yes it was rat holed, he said it's been in here for over 40 yrs... the drawer where full of goodies...

so we loaded all my new junk up and was looking at them ,, when I got the 128 I didn't even look at it,, 30 bucks so what the hay ... didn't even think about it being a 128, all I was after was those decals. in looking I reliazed then it a 3/4 size machine... LOLOL..... annnnnd this 128 has the most unusal motor on it,, it is singer ,, but is case iron bodie with a idler pulley.

so back to the city and hit ye ol MS shop,, this shop has been there since the 50's. the owner now has had it for 37 yrs,, he should know, he looks at this motor ,, and nope never seen a singer motor like this.. LOL...

the 20 $ machine is a 66 redeye nasty they get, the only thing wrong with the decals is the pin pricks on the arm...cabinet is close to 90 % unglued , but we found every piece of the wood scroll work ..

every machine's serail number starts with a G,, not so sure that a Good sign.. I mean 3 G's in one day ..

at least I'm not sending my money in a bar ... so here they sit

so I went after 2 and came home with 3...
Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 PM

this is the motor ,, the foot pedal is the type that looks like it's standing on it's side,, but is made of cast irom not sheet metal

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 06-27-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 PM

Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Miriam, Thanks for the info. One day, I will order from there just not right now. I have 3 or 4 bobbins now so just wind other color thread onto one sometimes if I need a different color. If it was a good practice way back when why not for today also?
Because it's not great for the tension of the bobbin thread and can cause poor stitching.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Ok to those of you who have been following my plug dilemma with my Pfaff 260! DH rewired the original knee control back on the original plug with a longer cord so I can use it as a foot pedal! It works perfect! I don't need the 'whole' plug in! Now I just have to go to Sew Classic and get the cord that Miriam originally said I should get for just the left side of the plug!

Nancy
Good! I thought of you today when I saw a new CL listing for a 260. They believe it's 'value' is between $400-$600 but are only asking $400:< LOL. They must be one of those "just because it's listed on ebay for that amount, means it's worth it" person. I didn't think you wanted to spend $400 on a plug:>
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 PM

I thought this was interesting looking!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87994579...sewing-machine
Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 PM

now I know what to do with all my machines.. I'll take them outside,, glue rocks all over them,,,,,

called them " pet sewing machines " ...I can make them look like bugs, cats so on.. or is that sew on..
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Dear ladys, I have to tell this...

In buying these machines,, the men I know think it ok to cool ,, The women think I'm nuts. I'm in a very small town with one store ,, which is also the local newpaper , gossip center, of course they know about all these machines but had never seen any..

Today was a real thrill getting the 3 machines, unpon returning to my town,
I stop at that store before going home,, having this La vencedora I went ahead and carried that one in to show them the why's of doing this.

In going back out two ladys stopped me to look at that machine,,

each talking of there days with the old singers,

, walking over to my car ,, I see this old ladys waiting in a car , she is smiling,, the window rolls down and " I learned to sew on one just like that , with this huge grin on her face,

I held it up to where she could look it over really good and touch the machine,, as I started back to my car ,

I hear this huge " Thank you " from her

now they cost me 150 for the 3 another 50 to go get them so my total was 200 on 3. after the smiles on there faces and her thank you ,, that money was some of the best I have ever spent

. now I sit with a warm heart and a smile.. knowing these old things bring back memories for others..

something money can't buy ...

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 06-27-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Miriam, Thanks for the info. One day, I will order from there just not right now. I have 3 or 4 bobbins now so just wind other color thread onto one sometimes if I need a different color. If it was a good practice way back when why not for today also?
it wasn't good practice then and it isn't now. sorry. the problem with overwinding is that it can cause tremendouse, machine damaging snarls in the bobbin case/hook area. imho, not worth it to save ten cents worth of thread. Laura