Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by notsureif View Post
Dear ladys, I have to tell this...

In buying these machines,, the men I know think it ok to cool ,, The women think I'm nuts. I'm in a very small town with one store ,, which is also the local newpaper , gossip center, of course they know about all these machines but had never seen any..

Today was a real thrill getting the 3 machines, unpon returning to my town,
I stop at that store before going home,, having this La vencedora I went ahead and carried that one in to show them the why's of doing this.

In going back out two ladys stopped me to look at that machine,,

each talking of there days with the old singers,

, walking over to my car ,, I see this old ladys waiting in a car , she is smiling,, the window rolls down and " I learned to sew on one just like that , with this huge grin on her face,

I held it up to where she could look it over really good and touch the machine,, as I started back to my car ,

I hear this huge " Thank you " from her

now they cost me 150 for the 3 another 50 to go get them so my total was 200 on 3. after the smiles on there faces and her thank you ,, that money was some of the best I have ever spent

. now I sit with a warm heart and a smile.. knowing these old things bring back memories for others..

something money can't buy ...
That is a sweet story. thank you for sharing laura
Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
I thought this was interesting looking!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87994579...sewing-machine
Well, at least it kept someone busy and off the streets for a while...
Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
it wasn't good practice then and it isn't now. sorry. the problem with overwinding is that it can cause tremendouse, machine damaging snarls in the bobbin case/hook area. imho, not worth it to save ten cents worth of thread. Laura
bobbins are pretty cheap anyway.
I've noticed there is a difference between the bobbins I buy from sew-classic and the one I've been able to find locally. I'm not sure it matters. The ones from sew-classic have 8 holes in each side and the ones I bought at Hancock have only 6 holes in each side.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 AM

Dear ladys, I have to tell this...

In buying these machines,, the men I know think it ok to cool ,, The women think I'm nuts. I'm in a very small town with one store ,, which is also the local newpaper , gossip center, of course they know about all these machines but had never seen any..

Today was a real thrill getting the 3 machines, unpon returning to my town,
I stop at that store before going home,, having this La vencedora I went ahead and carried that one in to show them the why's of doing this.

In going back out two ladys stopped me to look at that machine,,

each talking of there days with the old singers,

, walking over to my car ,, I see this old ladys waiting in a car , she is smiling,, the window rolls down and " I learned to sew on one just like that , with this huge grin on her face,

I held it up to where she could look it over really good and touch the machine,, as I started back to my car ,

I hear this huge " Thank you " from her

now they cost me 150 for the 3 another 50 to go get them so my total was 200 on 3. after the smiles on there faces and her thank you ,, that money was some of the best I have ever spent

. now I sit with a warm heart and a smile.. knowing these old things bring back memories for others..

something money can't buy ...
Yep, I love to take a new old machine with me to a Girls Night Out, just to see the wonder and smiles as some people 'remember' and others just look at them with awe!

Thank you for sharing your story!

Nancy
Old 06-28-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Good! I thought of you today when I saw a new CL listing for a 260. They believe it's 'value' is between $400-$600 but are only asking $400:< LOL. They must be one of those "just because it's listed on ebay for that amount, means it's worth it" person. I didn't think you wanted to spend $400 on a plug:>

Why not - a plug for $400! Geeze, I don't think so! Candace, I just ordered the cord Miriam first said I needed. I have been 'sharing' the cord from my dark pink Sterling with the Pfaff, but one of my granddaughters is making a rag quilt with the Sterling. She needs her cord back! I am in love with my 260! Geeze, that machine is so quiet - so smooth, but I haven't had a chance yet to figure out all 'Miriams' stitches! I am doing the same thing Charlee and Monica are doing - trying to get some unfinished projects done! I had to put everything on hold while I was doing Glenn's quilt! Now, I want to get caught up!

Nancy
Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Miriam, I paid $200 for Rebeckah and would like to find another but for less money although if it had attachments asnd more than 2 bobbins, I would be willling to pay more. I love Rebeckah but she came with one presser foot, 2 bobbins and lots of grime. None of those things scare me but it is a PITA to find attachments for her. One day, I dream of finding a manual and yes I have the PDF version saved to both computers. Hope this answers the question. Like the long bed version and not picky re color.
Chris
FYI: I finally found a zipper foot for her so I can do zippers. I still lack lots of skill there but don't need another machine now for zippers.
I have two mocha 301 machines. Each came with their original cabinets, scads of attachments, manuals etc. plus one has the original little bench with storage in the seat. One was $100 and the other $70. Got them through craigslist but did have to wait for them to show up. I love them. I had a chance to buy a black one for $100 but at the time didn't want to travel the hour+ plus drive. Be patient and one will show up. Just have your $100 ready!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Miriam, Thanks for the info. One day, I will order from there just not right now. I have 3 or 4 bobbins now so just wind other color thread onto one sometimes if I need a different color. If it was a good practice way back when why not for today also?
Chris,
There's another reason adding thread on top of thread in a bobbin is a bad idea. RUST. The MW we just got had one bobbin in it. Wound with real purty shiny blue thread. Under that about 8 different colors and types of thread. Under that, the bobbin had rusted. Thread can absorb moisture. Bobbins are cheep, but why waste them?

Joe
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 AM

geez I'm doing a parking lot meet up tomorrow morning ...then off to pick up another ol junker..

so by mid afternoon these will be sitting in my front room... unless there just to dirty..

It's been 30 yrs waiting to get thie 16 -188

The la V whatever it is comes in a Dome top case, but it's the one with ribbed end and the trick decal

Notsureif, geeze I have been looking up your new 16-188 and WOW what a machine you found!~ I don't remember another 16-188 on this board, but that is one amazing machine! It has upper and lower feed! The upper feed and lower feed can be used separately so you can feed the upper or lower feed faster or slower depending on what you are sewing. That machine will sew medium weight leather! It drops its feed dogs and it has a 'high lift' on the pressure foot! Geeze, it also has about 10 1/2 inches under the arm - I would say 10 1/2"s of 'harp' space - but some people on here get really upset if you say 'harp' space! I don't remember another machine with an adjustable walking foot! I am going to have to go measure my 31's to see if they are the same size as your 19" bed! Congratulations! What an interesting machine!

Also, how hard is it going to be to get the 16x1 needles? Never mind - not hard at all as that is the needle my 31's take - It is obvious I haven't played with those machines yet!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-28-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 AM

Okay, I'm looking at another machine and would like your opinion. I don't know anything about these free westinghouse machines but does it look like it has everything to you? It looks like a smaller machine. Do any of you have one of these?

http://northernwi.craigslist.org/for/3086074858.html
Old 06-28-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Chris,
There's another reason adding thread on top of thread in a bobbin is a bad idea. RUST. The MW we just got had one bobbin in it. Wound with real purty shiny blue thread. Under that about 8 different colors and types of thread. Under that, the bobbin had rusted. Thread can absorb moisture. Bobbins are cheep, but why waste them?

Joe
Chris and Joe, almost every vintage machine I have had more than one color thread wound on its bobbin. I just remove all the old thread and start with new thread! I think the reason people use to wind multiple colors is just to be frugal. When a spool was almost out of thread, they'd wind it on the bobbin so nothing was wasted. People couldn't afford to waste anything especially during the Depression! I agree with everyone else here - it is probably not a good practice - but if you are using up the thread I really doubt it 'hurts' anything. The machine doesn't know or care how many colors are on its bobbins as long as the bobbin is not over full - which applies even with one color! I think most people here are against the practice because as Joe said, we unwind those multiple layers - they are stuck together and rusted - not fun!

Nancy