Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Charlee, what a fun find! Are they edged in a bias strip, or is that stitching? It looks very uniform throughout the blocks.
It's a very closely spaced, deep blanket stitch, all done by hand.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 PM

i thought i saw some post where a 319w was being sought. here is the listing for one. i really like the look of this machine; it looks like it is ready for business. no price is listed in the post though.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/3108305966.html

here is an industrial singer for a really good price of $75. this is about the cheapest i have seen the industrial singers in my area. look at all of the throat/harp/arch/air space available for quilting.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/3063506236.html

Last edited by Havplenty; 06-29-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 PM

I tell you right now,, shut off that compute and go get that 31, forget you ever saw this 319w it's home machine...

I just got a 16-188 which is the big brother to a 31, They have the same body.... I paid $100 it came in a treadle stand, the top is falling apart,,,, it's monster.

at 75 $ you can't go wrong...consew copied these. parts will interchange.

that one is in a modren table , I'm sure a updated motor...

Do you understand the speed these run ? most do not. These run at one speed only, which is full speed.

hit the pedal and it will GO.. the only way to get a full range of speeds is to buy and install a servo motor ..then they work like a home machine,, servo's sell from 150 to 250..

go get it, you could reslle it for 3 x's that much

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 06-29-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:05 PM

notsureif lemme say i consider myself a vintage machine hobbyist rather than a vintage machine enthusiast. so i am not one who collects, resales, tinkers, repairs, dismantles, refurbishes, restores or resuscitates these vintage beauties, i just like to sew with them. i would have no room for something as big as the 31. but one of these days i surely would like to play with one. i bet it is amazing.

Last edited by Havplenty; 06-29-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:02 PM

I have a chance of getting a Singer 66. No attatchments nor manuel. It is a centinnel model and was made in 1951.
The spool pin is missing. I do not know what the condition is. The owner was $100 for it. I can not go see it for about 8 weeks. If he still has it I will go then. I all ready have three 66's that are Red Eyes and really do not need another one. Kathie
Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Well, the $20 didn't stay in my possession long. At sale #1, I passed up a beautiful portable (I use that term loosely) Dressmaker with all cams and the instruction book. This one was cream with a turquoise faceplate, but for $50 it stayed there. My Universal fills that niche well. I passed on a plain Singer 66 from the late 20s in a normal looking cabinet - not a treadle. Just plain with straight legs - is it a #40? for a whopping $25. I did like the way both sides of the cabinet folded out. Machine looked good, just needs a bath. The handwheel turned okay. On the ground was a pretty White Rotary in a burled oak case - one the first portables White made. Again, I use that term loosely. I'm not sure how I'm going to get in the house. I didn't inspect it closely - just gave the seller the $20 and let her husband put in my car. It's been in a basement and the hinges are a little rusty, but overall it doesn't seem too bad. 1890s patent dates are engraved on the needleplate. The electrics look very old and scary. It was Aunt Genevieve's and she was a dressmaker by trade. that's all I know. Two machines in a week. This is not good. The bobbins are big and flat, I think. I did check to see if the bobbin case was there, but forgot to worry about needle size. It had a box of attachments with it, but at the last minute the seller wondered if they belonged with this machine. I'm not a good fibber so I had to tell her they were short shank and the White needs back clamping.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Irishrose, if it's a Family Rotary, it should use standard 15x1 needles. I've had success with the rotary bobbins from Sew Classic (they just don't have the thread hole the old ones do).

I guess crazy is in the eye of the beholder...or something like that. I was looking at some photos for an upcoming property/contents auction. I turned the laptop towards my mother and asked, "Is it nuts that I know there's a Singer in this auction, and that I know it's probably a 66, 15, 201, or even a 301 just from looking at this picture?" She didn't even have to bat an eye lash to tell me "Yes."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345529[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails auctionmachine.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Irishrose, if it's a Family Rotary, it should use standard 15x1 needles. I've had success with the rotary bobbins from Sew Classic (they just don't have the thread hole the old ones do).

I guess crazy is in the eye of the beholder...or something like that. I was looking at some photos for an upcoming property/contents auction. I turned the laptop towards my mother and asked, "Is it nuts that I know there's a Singer in this auction, and that I know it's probably a 66, 15, 201, or even a 301 just from looking at this picture?" She didn't even have to bat an eye lash to tell me "Yes."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345529[/ATTACH]
nice leg!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
These are the quilt blocks I picked up the other day...they cost me 1.50... Anyone have an idea of date for these fabrics?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345352[/ATTACH]
Wow Charlee it is sad that those blocks ended up for sale to anyone! Someone's, mother, sister, aunt, whomever spent a lot of her time hand embroidering those blocks. It is a shame that kids, offspring, neices or nephews, didn't appreciate what it takes to make something like those blocks!

Nancy
Old 06-29-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Update: the seller refunded me $20 instead of the smaller amount I asked for. That means I paid $89 total for a long bed 301, a packed box of attachments and a repairable case. I can handle that.
Wow, Judy I'd give you $89 right now for a long bed 301! But, I think I'll hold out for a two tone - white and mocha! One of the gals in our Wednesday night Strip Club has a white and mocha 301 that is soooo cute!

Nancy