Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Just started a new thread of my Jones Handcrank:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5335793

Cathy or Pat can tell you which needle is used. Pat loves to collect these types of vintage beauties. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your collection!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Laura, I thought you were remodeling a downstairs garage to fit all your machines. How many machines do you own? From what I read on your postings, it sounds like you have less than 20 machines. Surely, there is room for them in that new space. You should post the before and after pictures of your remodel...heehee...The Laura's Sewing Cave. I enjoy seeing how folks redo a space to make into their very own special "cave".
True enough. Some of them, I'm not bonded with, though. Like the Necchi. I just don't like sewing on it. It has cosmetic issues, so it won't sell for much. I suppose I could re-paint the top cover, that doesn't match the rest of the machine. I suppose I could re-paint the cabinet, that I can't get completely stripped. But, I just don't care. So, the one's I don't care about i think should go. I have about 20 machines right now, maybe 25. Some of them are just lingering around waiting for my class with Ray White, because I want to learn to fix what ails them. Laura
Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Laura, sorry you've been feeling blue. Been there done that and it's not fun. I would recommend that you wait to sell any of your machines until you're feeling better. I know when I went through my personal issues none of my hobbies or past loved items were appealing to me. It would have been very easy to let go of my things and I'm glad I didn't. When the clouds lifted finally, and I was me again, I would have been very regretful.
Candace- thank you for that thought. I probably should wait a bit and see how things shake out. I am in an impulsive frame of mind, just now. Laura
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 AM

I bought a Pfaff 362 yesterday. It's in almost pristine condition. Tested it while I was there just to make sure it 'worked'. And it was doing a zig zag and picking up the bobbin thread. I thought, great!! Brought it home and it needs servicing. That's all it will do. Won't do a straight stitch without a slight zig zag and the zig zag stays tiny, the stitch width doesn't change it and no embroidery stitches. Bummer. I have the service manual for the 360 so will try to repair it myself. I Triflowed the heck out of it, used the hair dryer treatment, but I don't believe anything is stuck, it seems there is something not right inside:< This machine is so nice that if I can't fix it myself, I'm actually going to go to a professional with it:> All the parts and misc. I received with the machine are worth what I paid, but I'm still disappointed. But, I can see why the machine looks like new inside and out! Someone probably put it up because it didn't work and there it sat for 50 years. Anway, here are some pics. The seller gave me her grandmothers sewing box(made in Poland) and in it were some neat Pfaff items and a ton of thread. Her grandmother was the original owner.
Attached Thumbnails img_7855.jpg   img_7856.jpg   img_7854.jpg   img_7850.jpg   img_7852.jpg  

img_7851.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM

I bought a Pfaff 362 yesterday. It's in almost pristine condition. Tested it while I was there just to make sure it 'worked'. And it was doing a zig zag and picking up the bobbin thread. I thought, great!! Brought it home and it needs servicing. That's all it will do. Won't do a straight stitch without a slight zig zag and the zig zag stays tiny, the stitch width doesn't change it and no embroidery stitches. Bummer. I have the service manual for the 360 so will try to repair it myself. I Triflowed the heck out of it, used the hair dryer treatment, but I don't believe anything is stuck, it seems there is something not right inside:< This machine is so nice that if I can't fix it myself, I'm actually going to go to a professional with it:> All the parts and misc. I received with the machine are worth what I paid, but I'm still disappointed. But, I can see why the machine looks like new inside and out! Someone probably put it up because it didn't work and there it sat for 50 years. Anway, here are some pics. The seller gave me her grandmothers sewing box(made in Poland) and in it were some neat Pfaff items and a ton of thread. Her grandmother was the original owner.

Sorry to hear about the Pfaff problems. It is cool looking machine but the sewing box is gorgeous. What a treasure! Wow.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Here's a pic of Mrs. Franklin:

At first I read that it was made by Domestic. That is what I wrote in my log book. I'd like to be sure.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Joe,
According to this website your Franklin was made by Domestic.
go to: www.kelsew.info/Domestic/domesticmodelsnolinks.html
I hope it will show up as a link. Go to the 5th machine picture from the BOTTOM of the page and it shows your machine.
Hope this clears it up, Judy
Old 07-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Sorry to hear about the Pfaff problems. It is cool looking machine but the sewing box is gorgeous. What a treasure! Wow.
I'm hopeful I will be able to fix it with the guidance of the vintage Pfaff folks. If I can get this machine working properly I will never part with it. Nancy and I have been discussing how wonderful this series of Pfaffs are. It sews so smooth and the 362 is supposedly one of the finest machines made by Pfaff. I will figure it out!!! Or pay someone to if I fail. Hehehe.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
True enough. Some of them, I'm not bonded with, though. Like the Necchi. I just don't like sewing on it. It has cosmetic issues, so it won't sell for much. I suppose I could re-paint the top cover, that doesn't match the rest of the machine. I suppose I could re-paint the cabinet, that I can't get completely stripped. But, I just don't care. So, the one's I don't care about i think should go. I have about 20 machines right now, maybe 25. Some of them are just lingering around waiting for my class with Ray White, because I want to learn to fix what ails them. Laura
Is that Necchi a pink colored one? I think Anamaria's sister is looking for a pink Necchi.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Candace, when you find out what's going on with the Pfaff, let me know. You just described the Pfaff's 46's problem. If I can get that one to sew straight, I won't have to transport one of mine for mission sewiing. 'Mine' is a simpler model and probably newer, but it sews a tiny ZZ for a SS.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 AM

I'm hopeful I will be able to fix it with the guidance of the vintage Pfaff folks. If I can get this machine working properly I will never part with it. Nancy and I have been discussing how wonderful this series of Pfaffs are. It sews so smooth and the 362 is supposedly one of the finest machines made by Pfaff. I will figure it out!!! Or pay someone to if I fail. Hehehe.
Candace, I did not know that Pfaff 360 series are such a good machine. Why? What do they do best?

There is a 360 available but I do not like their price. I much prefer what you got for $50 plus the cool sewing box.

http://kpr.craigslist.org/art/3063174228.html