Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Billy has posted several tutorials on the Quilting Board which may answer many of your questions about cleaning your sewing machine. They are located the Tutorial link. (Go to Home then click on the Tutorial link).

Karen,

Here is the link to Part 1:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45816-1.htm

Part 2:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm

Part 3:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46696-1.htm

It may seem a little intimidating at first but if you have any questions feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

The best advice offered to me was to take pictures as you disassemble your machine. The first machine I cleaned, I had a little challenge remembering which screw went in which hole. When I cleaned the 2nd machine, I decided to put the screw back on the machine immediately after taking off the part that needed cleaning. This made the task of putting things back together much easier.

Don't forget: We love looking at pictures :)
Old 07-23-2010, 06:04 PM

As I was catching up on all the new posts, it amazes me how many different types of sewing machines there were during the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Does anyone else wonder how people decided on which sewing machine they wanted to buy? And did the majority of homes have a sewing machine or were they only used by seamstresses?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM

pm'd u scottlass....
Old 07-23-2010, 06:07 PM

Karen....i just brought one too like this recently for $40 but i think yours looks a little better than mine and it also needs a belt. There is a tutorial on post on how to clean it up & all. KITZONE has given the links....that's the one to go to.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 PM

I posted earlier that i have one lie this....the cabinet is exact except mine is an 1906 Singer (no electricity) all foot power! LOL
Old 07-23-2010, 08:05 PM

[quote=quilt addict]
Originally Posted by Scotlass
Originally Posted by dunster
Scotlass, that is one of the most beautiful machines I have ever seen. What a great find!
Penny, I forgot to say also, that the quilt it is sitting on is pretty nice also. Did you make it?

Lisa
Hi Lisa, no I purchased it in an antique store before I started quilting myself, it was a birthday present to myself. I have since made several, but that one was handy to grab and use as a backdrop.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 PM

Thank you all for the help!! I will watch all tutes and I believe I will Kitzones advice and put the screws back where they came out of!! I already know that I have to get 2 small screws so it stays put when i close the cabinet.

nwm50 this is a treadle!! no electricity either!! I paid $70. for it, didn't think that was to bad. What do you all think? Did I pay to much?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 PM

Karen,
I think the cabinet is great and your machine looks like it is in very good condition. You made a good choice. You'll really be surprised at how much she'll cleanup and the decals will be even more beautiful. Let us know how you get along with those Tuts.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned

WOW I leave the shop for a day and I have 5 pages to read!! The F&R is wonderful and I am so glad the tute helped you fix it up. It looks like it did when it was new!!!

Okay talking about machines and do you buy everyone, I dont I hold out for the deals and even some of the super rough ones I have gotten back together and made some really great machines out of. But I am selective about what I buy.

The one that I wish I got and it slipped through my fingers was a Singer model A. I had it in my hands for $30 with the treadle and offered him $20 and would not budge to $25. That machine would break the bank right now in the condition it was in. My MOP Singer 12 is the one I am the most proud of but it sitting in Customs right now waiting to be given the okay to come in the country.

Billy
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 PM

Billy, What is a MOP 12? A.