Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM

Why not! could use a road trip! I wish.
Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
April1930shoppe has them, too. Do you want to clean mine, too? It's not very dirty so it won't take much.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Kenmore with the chain drive: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sew_mach_tech/2575554217/
not my pics, links swiped from wefixit
Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Kenmore with the chain drive: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sew_mach_tech/2575554217/
not my pics, links swiped from wefixit
Yep, I have one. A Kenmore 120-49. Her name is Betty. I have a video here somewhere of her running without clothes on.
These machines take an obsolete needle (Kenmore #49 or Boye 2 1/2) and a bobbin the same size as a 221.

Here's a pic of mine naked, oohhh the shame, the shame ...... . You can clearly see the chain drive on the right:

Joe
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-f-st-.jpg  
Old 07-18-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Yep, I have one. A Kenmore 120-49. Her name is Betty. I have a video here somewhere of her running without clothes on.
These machines take an obsolete needle (Kenmore #49 or Boye 2 1/2) and a bobbin the same size as a 221.

Here's a pic of mine naked, oohhh the shame, the shame ...... . You can clearly see the chain drive on the right:

Joe
Joe that is so cool! What a great learning tool - to see that naked machine in all her glory! Love it! It is really curious to me to see these different machines that take the 221 bobbin! I did not know until recently that any other machine took the same bobbin as the FW and 301's! That fact seems to have been kept under wraps!

Does she sound like a Harley?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 07-18-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
They don't have to hog up all that rain... we could use some here - we got a little shower is all today and not everywhere. We don't mow our grass we just walk on it and it breaks off - well except for the weeds - they thrive.
Miriam, I doubt you would like to live in Seattle! I think it has one of the highest suicide rates in the country because it does rain all the time! My aunt has an umbrella in every vehicle - near every door - even portable ones in her purse! I love the green - but all the rain would drive me nuts! I like to be outside too much!

Melinda congratulations to you and your daughter! What an accomplishment!

Nancy
Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
i learned so much from just reading this thread. what a resource. charlee glad you got your "new" machine. i know you will love sewing on it. i have one now and i sold a long bed one recently.
Ok I had two 301's, and sold my short bed - kept the long bed! Why did you sell your long bed? Do you prefer the short bed or just didn't want two 301's? I had a very hard time selling my short bed as I love the 301's, but a friend wanted it - that is the only reason I sold it!

Nancy
Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Congrats on your 301!! I love Country music! Ode to Billy Joe, by Bobbie Gentry. Have you hear Scotty Mccreery?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1mf...eature=related
Anamaria, didn't you see Scotty win American Idol? I love that kid! He won at 17 (I think he was only 17)! What a voice!

Nancy
Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t194930.html
I just made a new post. I cleaned up 3 machines I picked up at GW and one I had around, came home and just had to do mine. So I shot a few pics. Hope it helps someone.
Miriam, I love your new site, but you need to go back and post photos of some of the other bobbin assemblies - taken apart and put back together! That would be a great resource for everyone when they 'have' to take the bobbin assembly apart!

Nancy
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Joe that is so cool! What a great learning tool - to see that naked machine in all her glory! Love it! It is really curious to me to see these different machines that take the 221 bobbin! I did not know until recently that any other machine took the same bobbin as the FW and 301's! That fact seems to have been kept under wraps!

Does she sound like a Harley?

Nancy
Nancy,

Actually it sounds like a small block Chevy with a race cam. Go to page two of this thread, http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t189987.html the video is at the top of the page. If you have good sound on your computer turn it up.

Singer 9w-7, 221, 301, and now this Kenmore 120-49 use the same bobbins. I do sometimes wonder how many more machines use the same bobbin.
Joe
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 AM

Ok you guys I finally had a awwwwwwwe moment and realized what machine I need to give the granddaughters who sew! I am going to refinish the little oak cabinet - I put in the cargo unit - that the pink Sterling came in, and give that one to the girls. One of the girls is using it anyway - here - making a rag quilt so she is already use to the machine. That machine will be perfect for them! It drops its feed dogs, has zig zag, is a pretty pink for girls, and will sew through most anything! It is a dedicated left hand needle, but that won't matter for what the girl's are doing - making bags/back packs, sun glass cases, hemming/cutting off jeans! It will be perfect and I will feel good about it as I paid too much for the machine - couldn't sell it for what I paid - but, if the girls have it and love it - it won't matter![ATTACH=CONFIG]349932[/ATTACH]

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails pink-sterling.jpg