Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
(Sitting down in the machine shop....) I have this machine. It's a New Home Light Running treadle. When I got it, it was not moving at all. I've mentioned this here before....I figured out which part of the machine was stuck...a bar that runs across the bottom center that connects the gear at the right to the bobbin case at the left. The two bushings were completely corroded and not moving at all. After some soaking in PB Blaster...I was finally able to get them removed. I've polished off the gunk and rust that was on the bar inside the bushing. Now it moves, but as I tighten the screws down, it grows progressively stiffer. It moves, but it's so stiff...can't imagine it will treadle well. Should I polish the rod some more? steel wool? sand paper? I would really like this machine to work, not ready to give up just yet. Any suggestions?
You may have the screws to tight. Screw them down and back them off just a little so there is a little bit of play so it will move freely. If screwed to tight it will act as a clamp keeping it from moving freely. Hope this helps.

Skip
Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I don't know why the pics don't all show. Anybody ever see a case for long bobbins?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]355249[/ATTACH]
I hope some one can find a source for this long bobbin case. I saw it when visiting Miriam and Phil it almost came home with me
Skip
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Kinda off topic but thought I'd share what I'm working on. Lifelong friend having her first little baby next week, and I'm making bedding for her. Finished the bedskirt today and taking a break before finishing up the bumper pads and quilt. I put more pics and details in the pictures section but here's the finished bedskirt. My first attempt at using a decorative edging.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]355332[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bed-skirt.jpg  
Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Adorable! Looks lovely Did you use the ruffler?

Last edited by Christine-; 08-13-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
HHHMMMM you might need a new look - try Lycra pants....
Dh bought me 3 pairs of men's cotton knit shorts. Lycra pants are scary. lol I've started using a cane and the rolling desk chair to navigate around the house.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Hi all, just returned from Miriam and Phil's we spent three days with them and had the most wonderful time. I spent an entire day with Miriam and rewired about three or four motors(potted and standard). I think we got seven or eight machines running. In return we hit all the antique and thrift stores in Indy. Shopping with Miriam is a ruthless ordeal she is a shopper!!!!. I found a pink machine that is in demand and she pushed me aside and bought it out from under me and then had the gall to have me carry it until she paid for it. What a lady. But I got even at the last shop I found a MOP Singer 12 in a folding cabinet(like a puzzle box) and loaded in her car along side the the little pink thing. We had a great time hitting almost all the shops in Indy. Pat and I are looking forward to Miriam and Phil to visit us so we can do the same here. Well if they don't come in Jan we will plan another trip to Indy. She may get tired of us. That is okay I will rewire more machines for her.

Skip
Skip, I have never seen a cabinet like this one - it is soooooo cool! I am trying to get on a sewing machine diet, but I could not pass something like that up, if I ever saw one in the flesh for sale that is! I don't remember seeing any other cabinet like that on this board before either! What a find - one of you guys are always finding something really different, interesting, which just makes it impossible for the rest of us to quit this addiction!

Nancy
Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Just came back from the Habitat Restore, there are 12 sewing machines waiting to be loved. One was crying out to me as I left, a 201 in a nice table, missing the power cord, no attachments but the gears were so stiff I could barely rotate the flywheel. Looked inside and it was black with hardened crud. They wanted $125 for it. I explained to one of the workers the machine was worthless as it was, but the table was worth maybe $40. Left my name and phone number behind... maybe they'll call me, maybe not. I need another Singer like I need a hole in the head.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Kinda off topic but thought I'd share what I'm working on. Lifelong friend having her first little baby next week, and I'm making bedding for her. Finished the bedskirt today and taking a break before finishing up the bumper pads and quilt. I put more pics and details in the pictures section but here's the finished bedskirt. My first attempt at using a decorative edging.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]355332[/ATTACH]
That's so cute!! Did you use a ruffler?
Sharon W.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
That's so cute!! Did you use a ruffler?
Sharon W.
Nope. Did it by hand. I dont have one for
Any of the machines i have set up for sewing though i do have one for several other machines
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Davis alert....Missoula MT CL, $50 obo!

http://montana.craigslist.org/atq/3187150231.html