Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Hey everyone. I'm guessing my time around here may be scarce the next couple of months. Just brought hubby home from his surgery. He's totally wheelchair bound for the next 2 months so I will be waiting on him. He had surgery on both achilles tendons and on his right foot so he can't bear any weight on either foot for several weeks, meaning I have to help try and lift him to transfer from bed/car/bathroom/etc. This should be fun.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Hey everyone. I'm guessing my time around here may be scarce the next couple of months. Just brought hubby home from his surgery. He's totally wheelchair bound for the next 2 months so I will be waiting on him. He had surgery on both achilles tendons and on his right foot so he can't bear any weight on either foot for several weeks, meaning I have to help try and lift him to transfer from bed/car/bathroom/etc. This should be fun.
EW sounds like a lot of work in store. It might be a good idea to come around here just to give yourself some down time - take care of yourself a little bit, too - do some stuff you enjoy.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Well, I'm starting school for the kids maybe next week. I was going to start this week before they decided to spring this surgery on us with only 4 days to prepare, so I may spend next week doing my first few weeks of lesson plans first and start after labor day. Either way I'll be busy! I plan on doing a sewing unit though for my 2 middle boys. My daughter is knowledgeable enough I can set up a machine in her room and let her go on her own. The boys have only sewn pillowcases though and both want to do something more so I thought I'd let them piece two lap quilts for their own use this time. I'm thinking alternating 9 patch blocks or something simple. They share a room so they can do matching ones. Ashley (my daughter) is working on her own quilt and this one will be the first with needle-turn applique. I'm going to be finishing up this baby bedding then turning around and working on trying to make something for a boy for another old friend who is pregnant and fallen on hard times. She doesn't have anything for a boy as her other kids are all girls, so Im going to raid my stash and see what I can come up with for her. My embroidery and serger machines are both in my bedroom so I can work and be closeby if I'm needed. I have a feeling we are gonna blow through our netflix queue...
Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 PM
ro
Banned

you sure seem to have the luck out in your area. i've been looking for 2 yrs for a featherweight, reasonably priced, i guess cheap. have yet to come across one. i guess there is no such animal here on long island or surrounding area.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 PM

Ok everyone, I received my two-tone 301 from Miriam today! It is sooooooo cute and in perfect shape! I will post photos when I get a chance! Thank you Miriam!

I also went and bought that Davis New Vertical Feed you were all talking about! They wanted $85 for the machine, but I got the machine and attachments for $60. I left the cabinet there - it was a mess - missing the whole right side! I should be able to switch heads with my Davis Vertical Feed and this Davis New Vertical Feed (I hope anyway) so they will both share a cabinet! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/3199210642.html

Photos later!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 08-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Ok everyone, I received my two-tone 301 from Miriam today! It is sooooooo cute and in perfect shape! I will post photos when I get a chance! Thank you Miriam!

I also went and bought that Davis New Vertical Feed you were all talking about! They wanted $85 for the machine, but I got the machine and attachments for $60. I left the cabinet there - it was a mess - missing the whole right side! I should be able to switch heads with my Davis Vertical Feed and this Davis New Vertical Feed (I hope anyway) so they will both share a cabinet! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/3199210642.html

Photos later!

Nancy
Congrats! That Davis NVF has nice decals. Only clean them with sewing oil. Someone cleaned my one Davis NVF with something that turned the decals green on the bed. So only sewing oil.

You will like that you can use standard needles.

And I'm so happy that you got that machine.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 PM

I saw you machine from Miriam and it is a nice one. Glad you got the NVF to

Skip
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM

I saw a Ranklin machine today. I know, a Franklin, but pin rash had totally removed the F and nothing else. It was in a case with a bentwood top. Excellent condition with the scarab decals in almost perfect condition for $39. It was electric, but I'm not sure I'd plug it in. The belt was leather with staples which surprised me. The hand wheel turned smoothly and all the bobbin parts were intact. Someone will have a nice machine when it sells, but I don't want it. I have enough machines I can't lift.

It's time to call and see if the 301 sold. The other interested party was to see it at 5:00.

Jenn, take care of yourself, too. I can't imagine having both done at once. I did one at time so I had one foot to hop on. I wish your husband an uneventful recovery.

Last edited by irishrose; 08-21-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

WHEW! I'm glad it got there in good shape - I always worry.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
WHEW! I'm glad it got there in good shape - I always worry.
Miriam, you have got to be the best packaging person for shipping a sewing machine there is! We had to cut the machine out of its bubble/egg carton wrap! Wow, was that machine packed nice - one box inside a larger box with tons of bubble/air/egg carton wraps! It came in perfect shape! Yes, I tried it and it works perfectly too! You must of cleaned the machine and oiled it - the machine is clean as a whistle! Thank you!

Jenn, Wow you have your work cut out for you! Your DH is very lucky to have you!

Thank you Monica, Miriam, and Skip!

Irish I hope you get the 301!

Nancy