Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM

Nancy,

I'm looking forward to next month's Girl's Night Out.
Now I need to find a machine to bring <VBG>

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
It was really nice to see Cathy at Girls Night Out. It would be so much fun if a bunch of us could do Girls Night Out, but most of you are just too far away for an evening of sewing. Luckily, Cathy already knew 3 of us that go to Girls Night Out so she was right at home! It is so nice to be able to go sew with your friends with no husbands bugging us! Sorry guys, but us girls need a night to ourselves once in a while!

Nancy
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM

Mary,

Is the take-up arm at it's highest point? If it is farther down, the hook may still be holding on to the thread loop.
By stopping with the take-up at the top you will find the thread easier to pull as the machine has completed the stitch.

Cathy

Originally Posted by almond View Post
Have a problem with my 301. It sews just fine, but I find when I pull the fabric behind the pressure foot to cut the thread, the top thread pulls really hard. Hard enough that the needle bends from the pull. Any help or is that normal for a 301?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I wish we had something like that around here... You all are so lucky.
Miriam, talk to your local fabric store about starting a ladies night out. The class that Nancy was talking about is the third Saturday of the month, from 5 to 10. We pay a fee of $10 and receive 10% of anything that we buy. It is a
pot luck. We sometimes have someone teach us something new. Most of the time we just work on anything
we want. We all help one another if someone needs help. Kathie
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

I'm looking forward to next month's Girl's Night Out.
Now I need to find a machine to bring <VBG>

Cathy
Do ya want to borrow one of mine?

Cathy, I made a very small dent in the stash of jeans that you gave me. I cut out 140 circles, and DH help cut out about 20. That red jean jacket is now 46 circles, and I have been sewing all the circles into another mock cathedral window quilt. Thanks again for all those jeans!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Monica,

Want me to start collecting jeans again?

Cathy

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Do ya want to borrow one of mine?

Cathy, I made a very small dent in the stash of jeans that you gave me. I cut out 140 circles, and DH help cut out about 20. That red jean jacket is now 46 circles, and I have been sewing all the circles into another mock cathedral window quilt. Thanks again for all those jeans!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Monica,

Want me to start collecting jeans again?

Cathy
The neighbor across the street is now on the lookout for me after I asked for a couple of her jeans for my first jean quilt. I had to tell her that I have boxes of jeans and that I'm good for now. I found some cute bandana motif fabric today for a future jean project. I will post photos of the one I'm working on once it get it finished. Work done by Singer 201 and 224; both fantastic machines!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Power Poster

You all remember Glenn came to Indianapolis? Well, we went antiquing and sewing machine shopping. I found a PINK sewing machine that he tried to wrestle away from me.... It is a very pretty machine barely used. I thought I would look it over before the GDs showed up yesterday. It always scares me to see a nearly perfect machine. Why did it not get used??? This ones' tension spring was in the wrong place - would not move. I took it apart and adjusted it - the machine works fine now. It is a dandy. I took pics but left the camera at the shop. Oh and I found a 35 cent can of unused oil and a new pair of scissors under the machine but no lint.

When the GKs came they caught me working on a Singer 401 so they grabbed a box of Qtips and 'cleaned' the machine. Every time Miss L got a tiny smudge she threw out the Qtip - whole box used up... I shot pics of them standing on my bench cleaning the machine - did I mention the camera is still at my shop??? Oh, back to the 401. I have never seen a mess like that one. First it looked like someone greased it with a black crayon. The oil was very waxy like and EVERYWHERE. Then the place where the motor comes up through to the balance wheel looked sort of like it had an oil bath - it was full of waxy oil. I got most of it off the machine - Qtips are in the can... Wilbur figured out where all the screw drivers go and put them away - all of them... Then he discovered a box of hinges - he loves my shop. He says only one word when he comes - kind of scary - I think he is just absorbing - his one word is 'AMAZING!' Miss L comes in and talks my ear off and just digs in with the Qtips. She loves lint and old waxy oil and Qtips. I need to keep them in a smaller box from now on. I tried to switch her off to a brush to no avail. Wilbur was happy with a brush for a while. I let him go at it on a parts machine. Oh and he was not impressed with the pink sewing machine for some reason.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Note to amit11 - if your area is anything like mine a Featherweight would be quite expensive to use only the one time for classes. Unless someone is very fortunate and finds one for a steal they could go for up to $500 each. If you just want one for classes - go to Walmart and get a Brother for less than $100.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by amint11 View Post
under "machine for sale" he says isnt selling or redoing anymore at this time. due to landing a new job. i wished he was though cause his "sold machines" are nothing short of amazing.

Keep looking or get a 301! They're better, IMO because they offer more flexibility. You can get one for around $100 and will last you forever.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
How can I determine the age of a Bamberger Deluxe Zig Zag Machine...
Honchey, I don't know if this has been answered or not - but, no you probably won't be able to date the machine exactly. It is probably a Japanese model and those records were not kept. I'd bet it is a very nice machine, though!

Nancy