Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Great resource for the buyer, tough on the seller. I love it but it's not for everyone I suppose.

Jon
Jon - that's my take on eBay as well. Really easy on the buyer. Maybe too easy
Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM

Yeah, too easy to get into trouble
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Can't answer the grinding wheel question but MY1014 work in my WW8 & 9. There industrial so you have to align but worth a shot.

Jon
Thanks Jon. It is nice to know there is an alternative to the Boye's needles. It would be fun to see what that emery wheel looks like though. I have 4 needles which I don't know if they are good or not, and one in the machine, and two new ones. I'll need more eventually since I plan on using this machine. The bobbin assembly is a bit noisy (it kind of rattles) but the other components are smooth as silk. What a great machine - I feel lucky to have one. Thanks again for the tip on needles Jon.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 AM

I'm a "Newbie" big time , but I'm looking for info to help me revive my Grandmother's old Standard Treadle... I looked at the library but it seems no one is interested unless they want to sell as antiques.I don't want to sell it I want to use it! It was once a beautiful thing and I'd like it to work again. Any help steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. ThnxsDLP62
Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 AM

I, too, just pop in occasionally to catch up on the new machines and see what is going in. In the movie Coal Miner's Daughter, Loretta Lynn says as she is collapsing onstage, a line that refers to how she isn't running her life, her life is running her. Sometimes my life is running me bigtime, especially since we lost Mama, and her illness before. I guess my life is trying to tell me that life is going on, and at a fast pace. Sewing projects keep popping up that are pretty cool, and my daughter is determined to put me back into the sewing business. Earlier in my life, I "sewed for the public" and did some alterations and bridesmaid type things, but scheduling fittings and such got to be a nightmare, so she thinks something in the quilt world will work. We will see. Glad Miriam's folks are better and not too injured. Neat old machines have appeared. Good restorations everyone. On the new Sphinx, late to respond, it is just what it is...a newer machine with traits from the old one. Like how car makers used the similar tail lights and body styles from the old muscle cars (Mustangs, Chargers, etc.) It was just so cool, had to use it again.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Something cool is happening for our son - he is a musician - starving artist I'd say... Anyway his musician friends have been taking up a collection to buy him a car. WOW! Oh he plays guitar, mandolin, banjo, fiddle, cello, a vintage Steel guitar and what ever else has strings - he finds and repairs about any old stringed instrument - lots of guitars.
Good to hear that your son is doing well and he has some great friends that help him out. Life is good!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Monica - I just used your tutorial for changing a bobbin wick and want to thank you for a great tute! It was much easier to do than I thought it would be. Have you ever replaced the spring "screw" that holds the wick? The one in this particular machine is sprung out of shape, like maybe someone tried to pull it out instead of unscrewing it. Thank you again taking the time to write this tute.

Jan

Last edited by jpete523; 10-19-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: To correct typing error. Fingers aren't spelling well tonight.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DLP62 View Post
I'm a "Newbie" big time , but I'm looking for info to help me revive my Grandmother's old Standard Treadle... I looked at the library but it seems no one is interested unless they want to sell as antiques.I don't want to sell it I want to use it! It was once a beautiful thing and I'd like it to work again. Any help steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. ThnxsDLP62
We have a lot of good info about cleaning. Muv put together a set of stunning videos - you do have to grab a cup of tea and some biscuits to enjoy while you watch. Here is a link. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html - the link is also in the sticky at the top of the sewing machine section.
Glenn has put together info for restoring the finish on the machine and on the cabinet. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html and the tables http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ts-t97670.html
If you have questions feel free to ask - we are all somewhat handy and some actually know answers - some just know where to look for the answers
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Bojangles Nancy and all you nice people who made my fishy quilt, the beautiful quilt has been camping and fishing three times(camping trips last 10days) and continued to be napped under in my easy chair from the very first day. It is ok to wash this quilt I hope. I usually wash my quilts in the bath tub with gold water and that quilt soap form the quilt store(I don't remember the name) I have a sheet I pick them up when wet and fold as much water out as I can and then air dry. I hope this is okay. This quilt is really used and needs to be cleaned every season.

Thanks Skip
Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Molly the sweetest dog

Hi Everyone,
My golden retriever is having surgery on Wednesday of next week. She went to the vet to get the cyst on her right eye lid looked at this morning. Our vet called me this afternoon to say that the cyst has to come off and also the weird growth in the inside of her cheek that looks like a black raspberry. Our free dog has been a very expensive critter, we love her to death. She loves everybody even the vets and their staff. Think good thoughts for her.
In the picture she's in her favorite napping spot.
Sharon W.
Attached Thumbnails quilts-march-2011-024.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 10-19-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added text