Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3872 of 4399 FirstFirst ... 2872 3372 3772 3822 3862 3871 3872 3873 3882 3922 3972 4372 ... LastLast
Results 38,711 to 38,720 of 43987

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    I, too, just pop in occasionally to catch up on the new machines and see what is going in. In the movie Coal Miner's Daughter, Loretta Lynn says as she is collapsing onstage, a line that refers to how she isn't running her life, her life is running her. Sometimes my life is running me bigtime, especially since we lost Mama, and her illness before. I guess my life is trying to tell me that life is going on, and at a fast pace. Sewing projects keep popping up that are pretty cool, and my daughter is determined to put me back into the sewing business. Earlier in my life, I "sewed for the public" and did some alterations and bridesmaid type things, but scheduling fittings and such got to be a nightmare, so she thinks something in the quilt world will work. We will see. Glad Miriam's folks are better and not too injured. Neat old machines have appeared. Good restorations everyone. On the new Sphinx, late to respond, it is just what it is...a newer machine with traits from the old one. Like how car makers used the similar tail lights and body styles from the old muscle cars (Mustangs, Chargers, etc.) It was just so cool, had to use it again.
    Melinda, hope you can figure out a way for life to slow down a little. I'm retired now but often wonder at how I did all the things I did when working. I know I couldn't do it all now..... getting older has its blessings and struggles.

I saw a very pretty blue Montgomery Ward sewing machine yesterday and I am so tempted to go get it. If it's still there, she said it would be $10. Cams, attachments, cabinet. So pretty.

Blog Entries
    Blue?? Montgomery Wards? Go get it!!! Both my MW machines sew wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Many German transverse shuttle machines such as the Frister & Rossman and Gritzner came with a grinding wheel to resharpen needles. It was placed on the post that was on the right hand side on the bobbin wind
    The grinding wheel that fits my Frister & Rossman (from about 1907) also fits my Wheeler & Wilson #8. It fits over the post that the bobbin fits on when it is being woun
    Thank you so much for the pictures! I loved seeing them. The manual described how to use it on the WW8 as your picture shows but it is so great to see the picture! I guess I might carry around a WW8 bobbin and attempt to get a grinding wheel. I did online searching and they are still sold - I just will need to get the right size. Thanks so much again for the pictures! I really appreciate it.

Judy,

You're welcome, I'm always glad to share.

The hole on my grinding stone is about .225 inches (15/64) across.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    Thank you so much for the pictures! I loved seeing them. The manual described how to use it on the WW8 as your picture shows but it is so great to see the picture! I guess I might carry around a WW8 bobbin and attempt to get a grinding wheel. I did online searching and they are still sold - I just will need to get the right size. Thanks so much again for the pictures! I really appreciate it.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
    I saw a very pretty blue Montgomery Ward sewing machine yesterday and I am so tempted to go get it. If it's still there, she said it would be $10. Cams, attachments, cabinet. So pretty.
    Seems like one of the guys here has a blue MW machine with cams.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
    Monica - I just used your tutorial for changing a bobbin wick and want to thank you for a great tute! It was much easier to do than I thought it would be. Have you ever replaced the spring "screw" that holds the wick? The one in this particular machine is sprung out of shape, like maybe someone tried to pull it out instead of unscrewing it. Thank you again taking the time to write this tute.

Jan
    Jan,

It was my pleasure to be of help! I have never had to replace the spring screw that holds the wick due to damage. One does have to be very careful in removing these screws. I had to soak mine with lots of oil for a bit before carefully removing it. I own two Singer 66-1. One of them has a wick screw and the other doesn't have even a place for a wick. I think that one is an older model. My suggestion is to google around for a replacement part if you really must have one. Happy sewing!

Blog Entries
    I played around a bit with a machine I picked up ages ago and never had time to figure out. I like it - very quiet. Wires were played out. Name:  Caleb, wreck, longbobbin, Pfaff 026.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  127.8 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I played around a bit with a machine I picked up ages ago and never had time to figure out. I like it - very quiet. Wires were played out. Name:  Caleb, wreck, longbobbin, Pfaff 026.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  127.8 KB
    Did you add the hand crank?

Blog Entries
    Yeah - it had the usual bad wires. It sure is quiet and smooth. I think I like it just fine for HC. I was able to turn the fabric and HC.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill