Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-20-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
I, too, just pop in occasionally to catch up on the new machines and see what is going in. In the movie Coal Miner's Daughter, Loretta Lynn says as she is collapsing onstage, a line that refers to how she isn't running her life, her life is running her. Sometimes my life is running me bigtime, especially since we lost Mama, and her illness before. I guess my life is trying to tell me that life is going on, and at a fast pace. Sewing projects keep popping up that are pretty cool, and my daughter is determined to put me back into the sewing business. Earlier in my life, I "sewed for the public" and did some alterations and bridesmaid type things, but scheduling fittings and such got to be a nightmare, so she thinks something in the quilt world will work. We will see. Glad Miriam's folks are better and not too injured. Neat old machines have appeared. Good restorations everyone. On the new Sphinx, late to respond, it is just what it is...a newer machine with traits from the old one. Like how car makers used the similar tail lights and body styles from the old muscle cars (Mustangs, Chargers, etc.) It was just so cool, had to use it again.
Melinda, hope you can figure out a way for life to slow down a little. I'm retired now but often wonder at how I did all the things I did when working. I know I couldn't do it all now..... getting older has its blessings and struggles.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 AM

I saw a very pretty blue Montgomery Ward sewing machine yesterday and I am so tempted to go get it. If it's still there, she said it would be $10. Cams, attachments, cabinet. So pretty.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 AM

Blue?? Montgomery Wards? Go get it!!! Both my MW machines sew wonderfully.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Many German transverse shuttle machines such as the Frister & Rossman and Gritzner came with a grinding wheel to resharpen needles. It was placed on the post that was on the right hand side on the bobbin wind
The grinding wheel that fits my Frister & Rossman (from about 1907) also fits my Wheeler & Wilson #8. It fits over the post that the bobbin fits on when it is being woun
Thank you so much for the pictures! I loved seeing them. The manual described how to use it on the WW8 as your picture shows but it is so great to see the picture! I guess I might carry around a WW8 bobbin and attempt to get a grinding wheel. I did online searching and they are still sold - I just will need to get the right size. Thanks so much again for the pictures! I really appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:14 AM

Judy,

You're welcome, I'm always glad to share.

The hole on my grinding stone is about .225 inches (15/64) across.

Cathy

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
Thank you so much for the pictures! I loved seeing them. The manual described how to use it on the WW8 as your picture shows but it is so great to see the picture! I guess I might carry around a WW8 bobbin and attempt to get a grinding wheel. I did online searching and they are still sold - I just will need to get the right size. Thanks so much again for the pictures! I really appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
I saw a very pretty blue Montgomery Ward sewing machine yesterday and I am so tempted to go get it. If it's still there, she said it would be $10. Cams, attachments, cabinet. So pretty.
Seems like one of the guys here has a blue MW machine with cams.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
Monica - I just used your tutorial for changing a bobbin wick and want to thank you for a great tute! It was much easier to do than I thought it would be. Have you ever replaced the spring "screw" that holds the wick? The one in this particular machine is sprung out of shape, like maybe someone tried to pull it out instead of unscrewing it. Thank you again taking the time to write this tute.

Jan
Jan,

It was my pleasure to be of help! I have never had to replace the spring screw that holds the wick due to damage. One does have to be very careful in removing these screws. I had to soak mine with lots of oil for a bit before carefully removing it. I own two Singer 66-1. One of them has a wick screw and the other doesn't have even a place for a wick. I think that one is an older model. My suggestion is to google around for a replacement part if you really must have one. Happy sewing!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I played around a bit with a machine I picked up ages ago and never had time to figure out. I like it - very quiet. Wires were played out. [ATTACH=CONFIG]371276[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails caleb-wreck-longbobbin-pfaff-026.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I played around a bit with a machine I picked up ages ago and never had time to figure out. I like it - very quiet. Wires were played out. [ATTACH=CONFIG]371276[/ATTACH]
Did you add the hand crank?
Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Yeah - it had the usual bad wires. It sure is quiet and smooth. I think I like it just fine for HC. I was able to turn the fabric and HC.