Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
I wouldn't leave it. It's so easy to move around I'd just take it home with me. And I agree with Miariam it would sweat I have seen machines do this. If you leave it in the case the case could get that awful smell we often talk about. Just my two cents worth. Have a safe trip home. Love the picture of Gus all he needs is a durby and a cigar and he is good to go.
You're right.... it's not that big a deal to take it too. What's one more machine in the trailer, right?

Gus is always ready to GO! That's how we got this picture. We had opened the truck door to get something and Gus was ready on the spot...... but he didn't want to get out so we just left the door open and got the camera.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
I was called "Jan" by my whole family as long as I could remember, and so did all my friends until I was 40. When we moved to Bakersfield from the L.A. area, I started using my whole first name Janice with anyone I met. I like my name, and I don't meet many others with it. I have met 3 here in 22 years.
Janice - I also like your name, but I have a funny twist for you. Our dear friend who recently passed away was Sarah Janice. All her friends from up north knew her as Sarah, but her mother and all her friends here called her Janice. Her name is pronounced Ju-NEES.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
The FW I'm leaving at the cabin is in a cabinet and doesn't have a case. Since they are small machines, I could find a plastic tote and seal it up. I don't think I have any of those packing packets that they put in tools, etc. What else would work?
try a cooler with the packets - check a tool section
Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
They hide and lurk in the nooks and crannies of my shop. I keep putting them in one place but they must sneak out and breed.
Well, yeah,... it would be just creepy to be breeding out there in the open where all the younger buttonholers could see...

The FW I'm leaving at the cabin is in a cabinet and doesn't have a case. Since they are small machines, I could find a plastic tote and seal it up. I don't think I have any of those packing packets that they put in tools, etc. What else would work?
I'd be concerned about any moisture you trapped with it. I'm with everyone else, take it with you.
I don't know how hard the freeze is "down there", but I know that I've seen tons of machines here that when left in a cold shed all winter have their finishes destroyed. It does a weird alligator type thing to the finish (I suspect it's the shellac only, but I haven't spent any time handling one, only looking at them)

That said, we have the distinction of having been recorded as being the 2nd coldest place on the planet in recent memory.

Dave McCallum says that the finish on a FW is enamel, so it might not suffer the same way, but I always think if it looks like that where I can see it, what's going on that I can't see?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM

thanks, better safe than sorry. It will get packed at the end of the week..... gonna use it every day till then.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM

Packing peanuts aren't very useful for cushioning sewing machines in transit because they can shift. To save space pad inside the case with clothes and towels. Cover the machine first with an old pillowcase to avoid oil staining. A plastic bag might damage the finish. I agree with taking your FW back home. You can find moisture absorbing crystals in craft and garden stores. They are used for holding water in potting soil and dehydrating flowers. Check local stores- many packets are inside purses, shoes, and luggage shipments and just tossed when unpacking merchandise.

[QUOTE=nanna-up-north;5603263]Okay, I've got a question for all of you. We are heading back to Southern Michigan next week and I've bought 4 sewing machines this summer that I'm taking back south with me (well, 5 actually, but I already took one back). Each one is in a case and I'll have to put them in the trailer cause Gus rides in the back seat and the topper isn't water-tight. Anyway, I was thinking that I'd put each one in a separate box, sitting on a blanket for cushioning and I'll probably surround each one with packing peanuts.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 PM

If you'd like to sell one...... my sister lives on the outskirts of Indy.... I'll come pick it up when I'm down there visiting her.
...... but I go to a lot of auctions and estate sales. I'll probably find one before I go to Indy.
I think Gus is the greatest. Yes we quilters all have animals and yes they are our children.
skip
Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM

Okay, I've got a question for all of you. We are heading back to Southern Michigan next week and I've bought 4 sewing machines this summer that I'm taking back south with me (well, 5 actually, but I already took one back). Each one is in a case and I'll have to put them in the trailer cause Gus rides in the back seat and the topper isn't water-tight. Anyway, I was thinking that I'd put each one in a separate box, sitting on a blanket for cushioning and I'll probably surround each one with packing peanuts. Is there more that I need to do to make sure they travel safely. I'm going to have to work on every one when I get them home but I don't want anything to happen to them in transit.

Also, I'm going to leave one of my FWs here and we winterize the cabin but is there something I should do (more that oil it well) to protect it from freezing up this winter. It's the only machine I've used all summer and I don't want to move it back and forth.... it will be my summer machine. If you all think this is a bad idea, I'll move it, too.... but we already pull a trailer back and forth and I get a lot of grief about the amount of quilting stuff I cart from here to there and back again.

So, let me know, okay?
But a Featherweight takes up so little room!! I would not leave it in a building that is not climate controlled. IE, warm/dry in the winter and cool/dry in the summer.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Buttonholers: so that's what I'm doing wrong! Mine are on a shelf, out in the open. I keep hoping they'll do their thing and I'll find a buttonholer for a slant shank. Would love to have one for my 301A. Maybe I better move them into a drawer or the closet. If I can find room.

Jan
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM

I have been off the computer for a number of days and all I can say is, Wow...good to hear from Charlee and Miriam, did you sneak in a new photo? I thought that last time I looked it was you and the kids. And speaking of kids, how is DGS? Those are monster looking buttonholers but compared to the cam ones, they aren't so large, I guess but they look awfully complicated. Sounds like you all have been super busy. It has finally cooled off enough that I spent 2 whole days doing nothing but yard work. Ugh...not my favorite thing to do but must be done. Now I get to catch up on all the other threads that I have missed out on but they probably won't take as long as this one does. I feel like I have just received letters from family who live "up north".