Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM

li
Originally Posted by Katia
I was just about to post pictures of my newest baby when I saw my name and the Kenmore mentioned.

So here she is, does not have a name yet. The gal I bought it from said that she got it from the grandson of the woman that bought it new. She was 99 when she passed and he inherited it. I wish I had her first name. That would be perfect.

From what I can figure she was born in 1911. The decals are nearly perfect and the cabinet is in great shape, kinda plain, but pretty anyway. It needs a cleaning and polishing, but I think it will be great when it is done. The drawers had lots of little treasures in them. Notions and attachments that I have no idea what they are. The only thing she needs is a belt. There was one in a drawer but it is in two pieces.

My DH found this one on CL and even went and looked at it on his own. He said the lady had lots of antiques. She showed him something he thought looked like one of those meat grinders you clamp on the side of a table. He was holding it upside down. LOL. It was an old handcrank. Really super old. I saw it when we picked up the treadle and was surprised how small it was. It also looked like it was made for a left hander. Did they do that?
had one looked like this when I was first married. Being young and foolish I did'nt know what I had ...don't know what happened to it. boo hoo
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dunster
The model 20 is a chain stitch machine, Singer's answer to the Willcox and Gibbs. I would love to have one, but am hoping for a better price. It's not a kid's machine, and not a salesman's sample, as some ads claim.

Originally Posted by Candace
What the heck is this machine? I've never seen anything like it? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/1868300404.html

Hey, Billy it's a hand crank so you probably own, what, 10 of them? :>

Oh, I see...doing some research it's a kid's machine. I think the seller is way too high on his price, though. It goes back to the "if it's old it's worth a fortune" mentality.
You know the Needlebar recognizes it as a toy machine so I dont really know what to think about them other than that one is worth what they are asking if it is legit.

Billy
Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 PM

They're listed on ebay for a lot cheaper. That's why I thought the price was too high. So, I'm assuming by what you say that there are copies floating about? I guess checking the serial # is the only way to tell?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

I was really referring to the case because most come in the cardboard box.

But if it is the original Bentwood case I would pay that for it. That is the first one I have ever seen.

Billy
Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Here is my newest addition to my sewing family: Elna #1 Grasshopper. Took her into the shop hoping that my Elna guy would have the parts that are needed. No luck. So now I am on a search for Grasshopper parts. Even if I don't get it up and running, it really is a cute machine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69346.jpe   attachment-69347.jpe  
Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jackkip
Here is my newest addition to my sewing family: Elna #1 Grasshopper. Took her into the shop hoping that my Elna guy would have the parts that are needed. No luck. So now I am on a search for Grasshopper parts. Even if I don't get it up and running, it really is a cute machine.
Oh I am liking the Grasshopper, Grasshopper!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

What parts are you needing for it I might have a source for them for you. I have a friend that has several of these for parts machines also. I may one day get one for the heck of it, they are really cute!!

Billy
Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 PM

I love Grasshoppers!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM

I need the needle plate, bottom half of the knee bar and power cord. Figured you guys would be the best place to start since my Elna guy didn't work out. It also has the case that converts into a sewing table. I think I might forget my featherweight dream and just concentrate on the Grasshopper. Featherweights are everywhere. But not too many grasshoppers out there ;-)
Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 PM

This is available in Uniontown, PA, on craigslist:
http://morgantown.craigslist.org/atq/1866585669.html
Old 07-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

hmmm... I think I misspoke about the Singer 20 not being a toy. It was marketed originally as a tool for teaching young girls how to sew (I guess they didn't think that boys would want to sew back then), and later also marketed for "occasional mending and altering" for "college and business girls"... I was thinking about the model 24, not the 20.