Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Grant & Donna,
Katie Farmer has been researching the White Sewing Machine Company's history for the past several years with the company's blessing and help. She has accrued a huge amount of information through thousands of hours of research. She is considered the expert on this brand. There are about 39 albums to go through on her webshots pages, but worth every minute.
Please check out her webshots page here: http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

This page is on research of other brands: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...65618099lUeRKn

BTW, the FR in the white name and model numbers means Family Rotary
Cathy

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Donna, There is not a lot out there that I have found about the White machines and their history. Is it a FR (Free Rotary) machine? Serial # Fr XXXXXX? From what I can gather, the white Sewing Machine Co. either didn't keep very good records or they were lost in general or in a flood or a fire. They made a lot of machines for different labels. Kenmore being one of them. Do you have a specific question on a specific machine? I have had a few White Rotary machines and I am pretty familiar with them. If you would like to PM me I can see if I can help and would be glad to do so. If it is a FR (Free Rotary) I bet I can answer almost any question other than date and place of manufacture. The New Home would depend on what model and where it was made. Some were made in Germany some in the US (I think by White) but most were made in Japan.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 PM

I always do that! It is not "Free" it is "Family". Thank you for correcting me. It is FAMILY Rotary.

BTW, the FR in the white name and model numbers means Family Rotary
Cathy[/QUOTE]
Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Chris, that is a very unique machine. The upper tension is on the faceplate and the foot plates are square and "D" shaped. Both traits are unusual along with with the spool holders like they are raised up and with the access port in an egg shape. My first guess because of the decoration was that it was a badged machine, but I really don't think it was a mainstream badge manufacturer either. Even the Treadle base is unusual. It arches very high and has no top arch. It bolts directly to the cabinet just above the oval, so no clues there. The one thing that is getting to me is that it looks like it has a Lotus Blossom in the decoration. Very few machines made outside Japan had a Lotus Blossom on them. In fact, I know of none, but this is a very unique machine indeed. Just small details will help. The Bobbin winder is usually the tell all for them. This one looks straight shafted and is a Treadle powered winder and that is not unusual. Also there is no lug on the machine body where a motor or a hand crank would mount. That tells me that it was made before 1903 or so. Singers have that lug on them starting in 1901 and all Singers had them from 1903 and on. Other manufacturers followed suit. When you find out, I for one would like to know where it was made and who made it. I would put a standard needle in it and roll it forward and listen to hear if it is hitting or binding. Then do the same with it threaded to see if it will sew before handing over any money on it. Needles on some odd ball machines are impossible to find. Cool Machine! I like it! Good luck.
Have to talk with DH and see what he says
about another machine in the herd. Probably yes but occasionally he doesn't want to increase but to thin it. I just like it because it's the name of a very dear friend of mine.
Chris
Old 11-02-2012, 03:26 PM

drool alert on craiglist featherweight http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atq/3381544988.html

Not the one I got.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by lee231 View Post
drool alert on craiglist featherweight http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atq/3381544988.html

Not the one I got.
Sweeettt!!!!!!!!! Wish I were much closer.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM

The Priscilla sold and not to me. I do feel sad about it but it was not meant to be. OTOH, went to JoAnn's tonite and bought batting, 20 yards, at 75% off the price. It is Nature's Touch, very similar to Warm N Natural but $4 cheaper per yard. Bought what was left on the roll once I found out that my 25% off coupon was good even though the batting was already 50% off. Had a marvelous cutting clerk who really did good by me and all his other customers regarding end of bolt deals and had a scintillating personality to boot. Best customer service at cutting desk ever and I told him that too.
Chris
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM

Not the one I got.
Such a pretty machine only 100 miles away. Too bad the news I received at the doctor's office today will be using up all my expendable cash in co-pays. I would like a little machine - my latest purchases have been space grabbers.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Such a pretty machine only 100 miles away. Too bad the news I received at the doctor's office today will be using up all my expendable cash in co-pays. I would like a little machine - my latest purchases have been space grabbers.
Judy, I have not been on the board for a few days, but this doesn't sound good! I hope whatever the problem is, that you will have a fast recovery!

Nancy
Old 11-03-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
The Priscilla sold and not to me. I do feel sad about it but it was not meant to be. OTOH, went to JoAnn's tonite and bought batting, 20 yards, at 75% off the price. It is Nature's Touch, very similar to Warm N Natural but $4 cheaper per yard. Bought what was left on the roll once I found out that my 25% off coupon was good even though the batting was already 50% off. Had a marvelous cutting clerk who really did good by me and all his other customers regarding end of bolt deals and had a scintillating personality to boot. Best customer service at cutting desk ever and I told him that too.
Chris
Chris, I just ran out of Warm and Natural and Warm and White so I also need batting. Let us know how you like Nature's Touch! I am really thinking about going with a wool, but I don't think the quilt will be as washable! The wool battings are so light and soft - hugable - compared to the Warm and Natural's!

Nancy
Old 11-03-2012, 05:08 AM

Picked this up off craigslist the other day. First one of these I've got, in good shape and sews well.

serial # AG700180
Congratulations, Lee, on the little FW!

Nancy