Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
we were talking the sizes of the working space on machines. I just purchased this Chandler darner with a 28 1/8" throat.

I don't have a clue why I needed it, but I did. So I couldn't talk myself out of buying it. I can't wait to get it home and start cleaning it up.
Cathy
Cool machine! I'm glad you got that.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Joe,

Sure, why not?

Miriam,

On the arm it is marked as a darner. It does not have a feed system, so FM quilting should be right up it's alley.

It has had a rough life. It appears to have been dropped on it's handwheel. The machine turns freely but the handwheel has run-out. The first thing I need to do is see if the main shaft is bent or is the runout from a bend handwheel.
If it is the shaft, I have straighten the main shafts before on smaller machines, so it should be doable.

I can hardly wait. I can't get home until Sunday as I'm on Mom duty since the care giver is not available this weekend.

I'll post more about this on Sunday or Monday.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Cathy,

Can I borrow it to do a couple quilts ..... whoo hooo that would quilt 'em easy.

Joe
Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
I'd love to get this machine, but I can't afford $450 for a vintage machine right now! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/3395116380.html This is one that is left on my wish list! I could mend all my tack with that machine - I'd bet!

Nancy
I didn't realize that what I had was worth that much. I will definitely have to take care of it. DH bought on auction for $25 I think. wasn't much anyways. need more room. more more more more. With the storm today am going thru my stuff looking to see if I can help bluelady out when she got volunteered to make quilts for boys in Afghanistan. her DIL thought they could just whip them out in no time flat. 15 no less. Amy
Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM

Judy,

If you come to one of the TOGAs you'll get to see it. BTW, I responded to your post on the Gold Country TOGA yahoo groups. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Cathy

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
Cool machine! I'm glad you got that.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM

I have some sad news tdoday. Texas Jan's (quiltdoctor) husband Dick passed away today. I have been talking with her and is as well as can be expected. I talk to her daily and will keep you informed of her well being. She will not be on the board for awhile so you may direct your question to me. Please give her your prayers. Thank you

Skipper
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 PM

Glenn, Thank you for the update but, so sorry to hear of her husband's passing. She will be in our thoughts and prayers.
I know you will pass along our sympathy and thoughts to her.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Glenn,

Pass on our sincerest condolences to her.

Joe and Elaine
Old 11-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I have some sad news tdoday. Texas Jan's (quiltdoctor) husband Dick passed away today. I have been talking with her and is as well as can be expected. I talk to her daily and will keep you informed of her well being. She will not be on the board for awhile so you may direct your question to me. Please give her your prayers. Thank you

Skipper
Skip, I have had Texas Jan in my thoughts so much lately. I even asked a while back if you knew something. I have been afraid to e-mail her - I didn't want to bother her. I knew what she was going through. I am so sorry to hear the news, they fought so hard.

Nancy
Old 11-09-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
we were talking the sizes of the working space on machines. I just purchased this Chandler darner with a 28 1/8" throat.

I don't have a clue why I needed it, but I did. So I couldn't talk myself out of buying it. I can't wait to get it home and start cleaning it up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]375626[/ATTACH]
Cathy
Cathy, that is one crazy machine! I can't wait to see it in person - and see what you do with it!

Nancy
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
I didn't realize that what I had was worth that much. I will definitely have to take care of it. DH bought on auction for $25 I think. wasn't much anyways. need more room. more more more more. With the storm today am going thru my stuff looking to see if I can help bluelady out when she got volunteered to make quilts for boys in Afghanistan. her DIL thought they could just whip them out in no time flat. 15 no less. Amy
WHAT??????? Obviously the DIL does not sew! I think I'd just roll over and give up if someone volunteered me to make 15 quilts. They must be small quilts???? Jeeze!

Nancy