Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3936 of 4400 FirstFirst ... 2936 3436 3836 3886 3926 3935 3936 3937 3946 3986 4036 ... LastLast
Results 39,351 to 39,360 of 43994

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Joe, I am wondering now if it is just the nature of the beast. Does anyone have a Dressmaker like this one? Name:  Dressmaker.1s.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  55.6 KB The machine runs along just fine and even without a special cam in it, it slows down a little and then continues to run for a bit and then slows down as if it was straining. It seems like it is in a rhythm. Do they all do that? Also Joe, does the black, built in cam stop moving at all? ~G~
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Grant,

I've got a couple other Singers I'm gonna check to see if this might be parts of their problems too.

I checked my Dressmaker 7000 yesterday. The gears are in good shape and undamaged. I ran it for quite a while but could not figure out why it surges when a cam is in. I compared my machine to the pics you sent me and they are the same. I even took the spring off the cam follower and used my finger to push the follower to the cam. It still surged.
    So I put a stronger motor on it. No difference.

I am officially stumped on this one. Looks like it just might have to go to the LSMG.

Joe

Grant,

I've got a bunch of machines that use cams. None of the slow down as the cam follower rides over the high parts of the cam.
    I do not think it's the nature of the beast. On mine the black built in cam never stops.

Something is creating a bind somewhere, I just can't seem to find it.

Singer machines with the cam drive gears such as the 413s 518s, 538, have and excentric mounting shaft that is adjustable. My #1 413 would surge until I read about the adjustment. Once I adjusted it the surging quit. I've looked the Dressmaker over and can't find any way to adjust it.

I know Miriam just got one of these, but I don't know if she's done anything with it yet. Perhaps she'll tell us if we say "purty please" .

Joe

I don't think I ever shared a photo of my Jones Hand Crank. Have not dated it yet. It is dusty but it does work. Yay for that...now if I can just figure out how I'm supposed to sew using one hand....
    Name:  2012-11-17_10-09-41_872.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  1.36 MB

Nancy,

The retainer spring on Joe's 500 is the same on the Singer 401, 403, and 503.
    Here's a close up picture of the spring.
    Name:  401-500 BC.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  138.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Thank you Joe, and thanks for the quiz! I had set my 503a on the computer table so I could compare my machine to your photo! I could not tell by looking at your photo what the problem was! Luckily I have a 503a, 2-401a's, and a 500a - but, none of them have ever had a problem with the horizontal rotary hook/bobbin assembly area! Now, if I get a horizontal rotary hook machine I will know what to look for if I do get one with issues! Nancy
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    I don't think I ever shared a photo of my Jones Hand Crank. Have not dated it yet. It is dusty but it does work. Yay for that...now if I can just figure out how I'm supposed to sew using one hand....
    Jenn, That's a very pretty machine. It will be gorgeous cleaned up. How nice that it works.

Jennb,

A nice machine. It should clean up beautifully.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Nancy,

The retainer spring on Joe's 500 is the same on the Singer 401, 403, and 503.
    Here's a close up picture of the spring.
    Name:  401-500 BC.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  138.0 KB
    Cathy,

Thanks for posting the better pic. What program do you use that gives you the big arrow? None of mine do.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Grant,

I've got a bunch of machines that use cams. None of the slow down as the cam follower rides over the high parts of the cam.
    I do not think it's the nature of the beast. On mine the black built in cam never stops.

Something is creating a bind somewhere, I just can't seem to find it.

Singer machines with the cam drive gears such as the 413s 518s, 538, have and excentric mounting shaft that is adjustable. My #1 413 would surge until I read about the adjustment. Once I adjusted it the surging quit. I've looked the Dressmaker over and can't find any way to adjust it.

I know Miriam just got one of these, but I don't know if she's done anything with it yet. Perhaps she'll tell us if we say "purty please" .

Joe
    not had a look at it yet - way too busy - sowweeeey
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

Thanks for posting the better pic. What program do you use that gives you the big arrow? None of mine do.

Joe
    Some how there is some screw under the machine that holds that in - had to round one up once
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I haven't looked up from the bottom yet. To adjust the springy part I just loosened the two little screws and nudged it over a bit.

Joe