Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3940 of 4401 FirstFirst ... 2940 3440 3840 3890 3930 3939 3940 3941 3950 3990 4040 ... LastLast
Results 39,391 to 39,400 of 44002

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Joe,

The cam stack is replaced just as removed. No indexing just drop into place , you might need to rock it back and forth slightly to seat it.

Cathy

QUOTE=J Miller;5665938]Can somebody answer me a question or direct me to a Singer 500 service manual source other than the Singer site. I can't get on that tonight for some reason.

The cam stack has what appears to be a timing mark on the top. But it was covered with gunk and I didn't see it until I cleaned it off.
    It might not be a timing mark at all but I'm getting it back together after a thorough cleaning and this is holding me back.

Joe[/QUOTE]
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hisgrace1 View Post
    I just came upon this thread and Have read several of the posts. I am wondering do you all really quilt on the old sewing machines? Or do you purchase them to restore and sit around the house...I think they are beautiful....Can you post pictures of quilts that you have made....
    there is a thread on the board that says quilts made using vintage machines. Check it all out. You will find a wealth of knowledge on machines and on quilting. Everyone is like a big family here. I just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf
    Singer 401 repair manual is around page 125 or after
    Miriam,
    Thanks. I got it downloaded, went to save it and found I already had it. I just didn't recognize it do to the file name. So I renamed it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Joe,

The cam stack is replaced just as removed. No indexing just drop into place , you might need to rock it back and forth slightly to seat it.

Cathy

QUOTE=J Miller;5665938]Can somebody answer me a question or direct me to a Singer 500 service manual source other than the Singer site. I can't get on that tonight for some reason.

The cam stack has what appears to be a timing mark on the top. But it was covered with gunk and I didn't see it until I cleaned it off.
    It might not be a timing mark at all but I'm getting it back together after a thorough cleaning and this is holding me back.

Joe
    [/QUOTE]

Cathy,
    Thanks.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Joe,

Cathy

Joe
    [/QUOTE]

Cathy,
    So it doesn't matter what way the cam stack goes? I've had them in and out - no big deal - I didn't know if there was a marking or timing on them or not. I just kind of figured my own way of putting in just the way they come out - but I've wondered about what was right and how do you know about timing them.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Miriam,

Taking the cam-stack out doesn't change the timing on this series.

Cathy

[/QUOTE]So it doesn't matter what way the cam stack goes? I've had them in and out - no big deal - I didn't know if there was a marking or timing on them or not. I just kind of figured my own way of putting in just the way they come out - but I've wondered about what was right and how do you know about timing them.[/QUOTE]

Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Miriam,

Taking the cam-stack out doesn't change the timing on this series.

Cathy

So it doesn't matter what way the cam stack goes? I've had them in and out - no big deal - I didn't know if there was a marking or timing on them or not. I just kind of figured my own way of putting in just the way they come out - but I've wondered about what was right and how do you know about timing them.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Well, Cathy, you must be right nothing has flubbed up on one yet here. Taking it out does make it a bit easier to clean up that stitch selectors I guess.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

there is actually a sticky thread of quilt photos. Most of us use vintage machines, varying from all-the-time to occasionally. And we start getting selective- the 201 for piecing, the 15 for FMQ, etc.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nancy my wife said it reminded her of the Singer 28 HC I have. I am sure this is a badged machine.
    Skip
    It sort of reminds me of my New Home T No 3, but different too. The shape of the slide plates and needle plate are the same, but the tension is not on top like most of the New Homes. The decals are really purrrrty. Yes, it does look like a 28 too? Actually more like a 28 to me than a New Home, but it is full sized isn't it?

Nancy

Glenn,

I'm a little late to the party. This is one beautiful machine. According the Needlebar it is a New Home model "P". The picture that they have is listed a 1917 version. They said it was imported into England during or after WW1 when German machines weren't being imported.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have just got a little HC with the original HC complete with attachments. It is a Nelsons No. 45 never heard of it but looks like a New Home to me. Can anyone tell me about it?
    Skip
    Cathy