Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM

Nice machines you two. The note is something to save along with the machine for years to come. Nancy date the drawing and save it.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Nice machines you two. The note is something to save along with the machine for years to come. Nancy date the drawing and save it.
Aw I will have to tell Gracie how much everybody likes her drawing. She is a talented young lady. Last year for Christmas she made her two little sisters each a doll quilt - just 9 patches but she did a good job. The youngest girl is the one in the avitar. She makes me giggle, too. I gave her a hair cut a couple weeks ago - so cute.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I was a bit jealous of yours when I saw it! (And I still am, actually! )

We have some differences...

Decals
bobbins, yours is round bobbin, mine is shuttle
Your tension on the faceplate, mine is on the front
Stitch length selectors are different...yours is the "knob slide", mine is a lever.
The bobbin winders are different, and mine has the place for the grinding wheel, which didn't come with it.
Mine has the flat faceplate.
And of course, the cabinets...yours has a rounded top, mine is square, etc.

From what I understand, these machines would have been sold at a higher price because they're treadles? (Maybe Muv can comment on that? I understood it to be because there weren't many homes at the time that had space for a treadle.)

What year is yours Nancy? (I know we figured it out once, but I can't remember! )
Yes, after I posted my photos I noticed the differences too. My Pfaff is the Model H from 1912 with the famed chrysanthemum decal. Is there a letter on the back of your machine? I love the looks/decals of your machine too!

Nancy[ATTACH=CONFIG]379416[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pfaff-closeup-back.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Miriam, I loved that note and the horse was done very well. And Nancy, Rodney is a handsome and muscular looking machine. Even with the pink controller. ~G~
Hehehehe, I will tell him what you said about the machine - even with the pink controller! I can't tell you what he said, though, this is a family forum!

Nancy
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Did you get a picture of Rod when he saw that??? What does he have to say about that pink controller? You all can see that pink controller on the right.

That machine is a good one - dedicated left hand, too - the girls helped me polish it up then we packed it - the oldest DGD thought it needed a note with it so she did the note.
Miriam, I was so excited when the box came, I couldn't control myself long enough to get a picture of Rod opening the box! I was squealing - Rod thought I was crazy as did Marcus, our 4 year old grandson who was watching the whole thing!

What he said about the "pink controller" is not something I can repeat! But, he did say he thought the board/set up that holds the pink controller/foot pedal is a pretty cool idea! He laughs everytime he looks at the machine! Today, "Rodney" got a do over wiring job and is running smooth as silk! This is one machine, pink controller or not, I will never part with!

Oh and tell Gracie, we will keep her note with Rodney! She did a great job, horse and all!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 11-30-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Yes, after I posted my photos I noticed the differences too. My Pfaff is the Model H from 1912 with the famed chrysanthemum decal. Is there a letter on the back of your machine? I love the looks/decals of your machine too!

Nancy
Mine is a "L" model... 1910
Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Power Poster

I'm laughing at that pink controller myself. Maybe you can put some lace around there some time...
After we cleaned, Lovie and I tested the stitches on Rodney - nice. I'm not at all surprised Rodney runs smooth as silk. The machine was barely used near as I can tell. The wires on that machine did something I haven't seen - they turned to bubble gum - sticky gummy - usually the wires go brittle. I wonder if someone tried to clean them with something - I don't know what would make them go gummy. I'm very glad I got to see that machine - it is very cool. Nancy, I'm sure Rod is going to have to have that in his man cave...
Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 AM

[QUOTE=Charlee;5689142]nanna-up-north! How did you break your arm?? Are you ok now?

Oh, I tripped over a box when we were unpacking from our move back to S. MI. The box had a sewing machine in it....ARRRR!!. Old sewing machines are Heavy!! I fell into the snack bar...HARD... broke my right upper arm. It's been 4 weeks and the dr. says 3 months... so, no sewing....typing with my left hand.

Your new machine is beautiful.

Last edited by nanna-up-north; 12-01-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 AM

I saw this on the Chicago CL and had to share. I am trying to continue the Rodney-mania here on QB. http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/atq/3429761400.html It may not be as pretty without the pink controller though. ~G~
Old 12-01-2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm laughing at that pink controller myself. Maybe you can put some lace around there some time...
After we cleaned, Lovie and I tested the stitches on Rodney - nice. I'm not at all surprised Rodney runs smooth as silk. The machine was barely used near as I can tell. The wires on that machine did something I haven't seen - they turned to bubble gum - sticky gummy - usually the wires go brittle. I wonder if someone tried to clean them with something - I don't know what would make them go gummy. I'm very glad I got to see that machine - it is very cool. Nancy, I'm sure Rod is going to have to have that in his man cave...
I've run into this bubble gum mess with wiring on several machines. I'm not sure but I think it's a chemical reaction to the old latex insulation and machine oil. The motor wires in my HOTHER did that and it was stored in it's case on a shelf.

Joe