Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-01-2012, 07:02 AM

OH What A Lucky Gal you are....it is absolutely gorgeous, not envious just extremely[ ok alittle] happy for you. Such a nice thoughtful gift.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 AM

'Happy' is actually the name of the manufacturer. The Happy Sewing Machine Company made really nice, high quality machines. Most if not all of the machines for Montgomery Ward were made by Happy during the 1960s. I think very highly of all of the Happy machines that have pasted through my hands.
Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have been working on a Montgomery Ward machine - it is molded 'Happy' in the bottom end of things. I have a clone molded 'Riccar' in the exact same places - go figure. I'm starting to look under them for that kind of thing. I may post some pics later today. Well if I remember.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Want to bring him over? I'd love to 'play' with Rodney and check out his pink controller.

Cathy (I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist.)

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Geeze, my "Rodney" is not a fluke? I can see why some of them were named certain names, but "Rodney" just seems kinda weird to name a sewing machine! My Rod was just incredulous that anyone would name a machine Rodney - now two different versions? How funny is that!!!!! I'd get that one too, if I were within driving distance!

Miriam, those wires looked melted together, who knows why. But, did you see the machine had been serviced in 1995? We are trying to figure out how to get it open so I can clean and oil inside?

Cathy, this machine is cast in one piece from the top to the front. In order to get the top off to oil the machine, we'd have to take off the foot pressure release knob on top? I don't know how complicated it would be to put it back? There is no other way to oil the thing? Have you dealt with a machine like this before? I am afraid to use it much without oiling/cleaning it? I can oil the bottom and inside the back door, but there is no way to get oil in the front or top?

Nancy
Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]379453[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy,

The presser foot tension adjuster is an assembly. It just unscrews like a regular one. It won't come apart.
There is probably a screw on the right side behind the hand wheel, and a screw or a spring latch under the front end.

It's not rocket surgery, you can do it .....

Joe
Ok Joe, you were right. And, Miriam you were right too. There is a screw under the head - unscrew that screw and take off the foot pressure release knob . . . . it all came right off!

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails rodney-top-removed.jpg  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Here you go Nancy...what looks like a "white scrape" is actually a wisp of cotton from when I was doing a totally unnecessary cleaning....it stuck to a little screw and I missed pulling it off until after I saw the picture! LOL!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]379447[/ATTACH]
Oh I LOVE that machine! What I read is that Pfaff used letters for models on their earlier machines, then went to a numbering system later on!

Nancy
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Want to bring him over? I'd love to 'play' with Rodney and check out his pink controller.

Cathy (I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist.)
Hehehehehehehe, I think I will keep that controller around here for me to play with! Giggle, giggle!

Nancy
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 AM

Nancy,

I said the small post sticking out from the right side of the bobbin winder was for a grinding wheel. Can you post a picture of 'that funny looking thing on top' of your machine. I'm not sure what we're talking about here.

Cathy

Charlee, can you post a photo of the back of your Pfaff? According to Cathy, that funny looking thing on the top of my machine is for a grinding wheel. Nancy
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Oh I LOVE that machine! What I read is that Pfaff used letters for models on their earlier machines, then went to a numbering system later on!

Nancy
Yep, they did....the model "K" became the Pfaff 11, and the model "L" became the Pfaff 12...

This machine is AMAZINGLY clean! I've never gotten a machine that I didn't have to at least clean lint out of and this one doesn't even have that! No oil buildup, nothing except a bit of exterior dust and some lint/old oil in the drip pan!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

I said the small post sticking out from the right side of the bobbin winder was for a grinding wheel. Can you post a picture of 'that funny looking thing on top' of your machine. I'm not sure what we're talking about here.

Cathy
I think we established that the bracket on top of Nancy's machine was for an aftermarket light...
Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 AM

Charlee,
Thanks. I couldn't remember that far back to that old conversation.
Gee, It's GREAT having you back with us.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I think we established that the bracket on top of Nancy's machine was for an aftermarket light...