Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-11-2013, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
Mary,

I forgot to include a helpful link for you: http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...Singer_301.htm
Thanks Shari for your quick response. I should have mentioned that I cleaned out the old grease and added fresh grease. I oiled it and changed the needle. I sews for a little bit ( about 5 stitches then is stops) Like it get held up somehow and then it I turn the hand wheel it will start again for a few stitches and stops again. The bobbin thread is all looped on the bottom.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 PM

Check your needle & threading first:

Flat part of the needle shank goes to the left.

Thread the needle right to left.

Insert bobbin with thread coming off the bobbin counter-clockwise.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM

Thanks to Joe, I've discovered that it is indeed a gear that is the culprit in my grandmother's Singer 413, and I've ordered the part from partsonline dot com. Also ordered a new timing belt just in case it needs replacing. I haven't examined it that closely, however after all these years of not working, it probably has dry rot.

Called the repair center today and they told me I needed to bring it in for an estimate on replacing the gear. I did find a tutorial on how to DIY, but I'm no expert in repairing machines, so I'll see what estimate the local man comes up with.

The attachments my mom gave me with the machine don't fit that machine. They fit her old White Domestic machine that she sold some years ago for the paltry sum of $10. She remembers giving the buyer some attachments, which probably were the ones that fit the 413. I told her no problem, because I have other Singer attachments I can use if needed.

Anyone need attachments for a White Domestic?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Hi Jozz,

Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
This is my first post here, I can't resist sharing a few things about Tikka sewing machines. I live in Finland, and
Tikka is very common SM in various "craigslists" around here. Yellow/yellowish cream is very common colour, there are also black Tikkas, but I have not seen many.

Tikka is made in independent Finland, so it makes my eyes sore seeing it is claimed to be soviet made... although the factory where Tikkas were made, was owned by the Soviet Union at one time (1945-1957). Finland was and is independent state. We were not under soviet rule, but after the WWII there were some silly arrangements around here because Soviet Union "won" and Finland "lost" the war.
Tikka was made in a factory called Tikkakoski. It was famous making machineguns etc. pre- and during WWII. You can easily understand why soviets put the gun making down and made the factory do SM:s instead.

Tikka means woodpecker and woodpecker is seen in the front decal of the machine. Tikka refers also to "tikki", stitch in finnish.
Tikka sewing machines were sold widely in Finland and in Soviet Union. They were made as treadles (1946-1964) and electric (1946-1967).
The quality of the machines was a bit questionable, according to my source, and some of the salesmen were accused of espionage (they tried to recruit persons from the finnish military people).
Tikka is an interesting part of industrialisation of my country and interesting to vintage SM ethusiasts. I do not own one, but perhaps I should, someday maybe.
Very interesting background! I would like to find one of these myself. Thanks for the information!

pat
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Charq View Post
I need a little help. I have cleaned every part on my new featherweight but I can't get the throat plate off. One of the screws is frozen. Does anyone have an idea how I can remove the screw without causing any damage?
I had a Singer 301 with the same problem. I drowned it in sewing machine oil and let it sit for a day or 2 and then the screw came out, you can also try getting some oil in there from underneath too.
Sharon W.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I had a Singer 301 with the same problem. I drowned it in sewing machine oil and let it sit for a day or 2 and then the screw came out, you can also try getting some oil in there from underneath too.
Sharon W.
heat it a little if it still doesn't work
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Happy Valentines day, everyone. Just to show that vintage sewing is the epitome of romance, I give you this:
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM

What a great card Makitmama, Do you ladies dress like this when you sew?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 AM

If the guy giving me flowers dresses like the guy in the photo, sure.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
What a great card Makitmama, Do you ladies dress like this when you sew?
They might not, but I sure do!
~G~