Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4055 of 4387 FirstFirst ... 3055 3555 3955 4005 4045 4054 4055 4056 4065 4105 4155 ... LastLast
Results 40,541 to 40,550 of 43865

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Banned
    This weekend I also "rescued" another Frister and Rossmann Handcrank.

This one is a VS that aside for sitting for the last 10 years on a shelf and drying out, she was in beautiful shape. The serial number dates it to a 1926-27ish Model E.

I've named her "Marlene" after Ms. Deitrich... (20's German Beauty)

The previous owner bought it in England and brought it with her when she immigrated to the US. She sold it to me because she is going blind and can no longer use it....

The clearcoat is going to need some loving, but with about a hour of cleaning with oil and a generous Tri-Flow bath, she now sews like a dream.

Pic's to be posted in "Photos"

Steve,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the electric Singer 20. I am in love with it.

You're welcome for the needles. Finding replacement needles is a challenge that I love to tackle.
    I can't find a sub for those old curved needles, only the straight ones.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Greetings Folks, Had a great time up at Cathy's place on Saturday for our 1st "Play and Trade" day! We got to fiddle with lots of old machines.

Lots of horsetrading was in order, some machines, some parts, some services (machining), some cash.

In the end it seemed that everyone was happy.

I no longer own an Electric Singer Model 20.....
    I have Needles for ALL of my older machines (THANK YOU THANK YOU)

I now own a Frister and Rossmann TS (so sweet, so smooth)
    I now own most of a Wilcox and Gibbs...

Pic's to be posted over in "Photos"

I got a treadle base for my W&W #8 that is in process.

Unfortunately, I still have a Blue SewMor 202, a portable FR, and the Hamilton Ross TSM.... gotta find a home for them....
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    I need to find or download a free manual for a Davis vertical feed. It is like the one Vinatgemotif has.
    Thanks Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Steve,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the electric Singer 20. I am in love with it.

You're welcome for the needles. Finding replacement needles is a challenge that I love to tackle.
    I can't find a sub for those old curved needles, only the straight ones.

Cathy
    OHHH is that the chain stitch one? Can't wait to see it! Laura

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I need to find or download a free manual for a Davis vertical feed. It is like the one Vinatgemotif has.
    Thanks Skip
    Glenn, is this the manual you need. I think Monica has the New High Arm Vertical Feed. I have both the old vertical feed and the new vertical feed. I think this is the only manual I know of out there for free for the Davis?

http://www.ismacs.net/davis/manuals/davis-vf-manual.pdf

Here is another tidbit you might like to look at. http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFshuttles.html

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 02-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Nancy, mine is the new High Arm like Monica's. I am downloading it anyway. The other info is great to just what I needed. Thank you again. I think I can figure out the threading but wanted to be sure.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    Love the Julia...is it whisper quiet? They love to eat oil because the tolerances are so precise.
    She is oh so quiet. I love her!

Yup, it is. It is so adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    OHHH is that the chain stitch one? Can't wait to see it! Laura
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Glenn, is this the manual you need. I think Monica has the New High Arm Vertical Feed. I have both the old vertical feed and the new vertical feed. I think this is the only manual I know of out there for free for the Davis?

http://www.ismacs.net/davis/manuals/davis-vf-manual.pdf

Here is another tidbit you might like to look at. http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFshuttles.html

Nancy
    Nancy and Glenn,

I own a Davis NVF, not the New High Arm. Here is a link to the differences in the models of Davis Vertical Feeds: http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html

I have a copy of that manual that you refer to from ismacs, and it is the only copy of any Davis VF manual I could find off the internet. Well, it was sufficient enough for my use in figuring out how to use the Davis NVF. These machines are simple.

Glenn, if you wish to clean the parts behind the faceplate, I suggest looking at the tutorial on the Yahoo Davis Vertical Feed site. Someone spent time putting together an excellent tutorial, which is easy to follow. Having those parts cleaned makes a huge difference, and well worth the time spent cleaning vs just oiling and calling it good to go.

Blog Entries
    Glenn, you are welcome! Have fun with your Davis. I love my Betty, my original Davis that I cleaned so vigorously that I took off all her remaining decals - before I knew better! Those Davis Vertical feeds are so much fun to use!

Steve, I peeked into the photo shop to see your new machines! Wow, you do have a knack for acquiring the most awesome machines! I can't believe how nice those F&R still look. Now, I want one . . . . . but, I want all of them anyway! Geeeeeeeeze!

Nancy