Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4063 of 4403 FirstFirst ... 3063 3563 3963 4013 4053 4062 4063 4064 4073 4113 4163 ... LastLast
Results 40,621 to 40,630 of 44024

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

sigh... sorry. Too early to filter myself... ok, awake now... hehe

here is a pic I call the "Wall of Howe"
    Name:  _Wall of Howe's.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  85.1 KB

from left to right ( Model A parts machine, Model B, Model A Repainted, Model A awaiting it's table)

Note on the rightmost Model A there is NO above bed stitch length adjustment!
    I looked all over it and found that it is located under the bed right next to the feed dog cams. It seems that they evolved "to" the design that broke on the other two...

the rest of the pics are in the album:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums18131.html
    Last edited by SteveH; 02-26-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Steve,
    I'll check for it when I get home on Friday.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Woo Hoo!! Thank you thank you! Any chance you have the long screw too? That is what I need most.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Once again I saw a picture of an old coffin top sewing machine cabinet and there is a "peg" on the sewing table right behind the machine's pillar. These pegs appear to be about the size of an old fashioned (no metal spring) wooden clothes pin.

What is this for? I've looked in old sewing machine manuals but have not yet seen this peg in any of the manual's pictures. Could it be for resting the coffin top itself on the peg after tipping the top back on its hinges?

I've also seen many pictures where these pegs are broken off of the tables.

As always, thanks so much everyone for your generous sharing of knowledge! I am so glad to have you all to share my love of this hobby.

Good guess- The peg is indeed for resting the coffin top on.

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    Good guess- The peg is indeed for resting the coffin top on.
    Thank you so much for the answer!

Judy,

These pegs are seen frequently with the heavy industrial machines. They are for resting the machine head on when it is tilted back for oiling.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    Once again I saw a picture of an old coffin top sewing machine cabinet and there is a "peg" on the sewing table right behind the machine's pillar. These pegs appear to be about the size of an old fashioned (no metal spring) wooden clothes pin.

What is this for? I've looked in old sewing machine manuals but have not yet seen this peg in any of the manual's pictures. Could it be for resting the coffin top itself on the peg after tipping the top back on its hinges?

I've also seen many pictures where these pegs are broken off of the tables.

As always, thanks so much everyone for your generous sharing of knowledge! I am so glad to have you all to share my love of this hobby.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Judy,

These pegs are seen frequently with the heavy industrial machines. They are for resting the machine head on when it is tilted back for oiling.

Cathy
    Cathy,

Ah Yes! I just checked my coffin top and even though the peg is missing, I can see that my machine would line up perfectly if it were there. Now I know "what". Now I want to know "why"! I'll guess again. Is it to relieve some of the strain placed on the machine's hinges to the base when it is tilted back?

I decided to post a picture of the hinges on my machine. Although these hinges don't seem as heavy duty as the Singer cabinet hinges, the machine itself is not as heavy as a Singer either.
    Name:  IMG_0317.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  147.0 KB

Thanks so much,
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    Cathy,

Ah Yes! I just checked my coffin top and even though the peg is missing, I can see that my machine would line up perfectly if it were there. Now I know "what". Now I want to know "why"! I'll guess again. Is it to relieve some of the strain placed on the machine's hinges to the base when it is tilted back?

I decided to post a picture of the hinges on my machine. Although these hinges don't seem as heavy duty as the Singer cabinet hinges, the machine itself is not as heavy as a Singer either.
    Name:  IMG_0317.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  147.0 KB

Thanks so much,
    Judy
    Yep, used to support machine when you tilt it back for oiling and to get under it. I used to wonder with the New Home I had, thought it had something to do with the coffin lid, until I actually sat down to work on and use the machine. Sure comes in handy to help support the machine when it's tipped back.

Blog Entries
    When you tip back a commercial machine you do need something - those puppies are HEAVY.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Thanks deplaylady and Miriam! I think I'll try to create some kind of peg for my machine.