Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4068 of 4350 FirstFirst ... 3068 3568 3968 4018 4058 4067 4068 4069 4078 4118 4168 ... LastLast
Results 40,671 to 40,680 of 43494

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Steve, I am doing a machine as an example of an "Over The Top Restoration" to show what is possible. In this case, it was about the same cost for Nickel as it was for Chrome. I opted to go with the extreme.
    ~G~
    Grant ... looks great, and I agree ... over the top - which was your aim.

You have me thinking sideways about something. My husband and I own a small manufacturing company - we make sowing machines (yes I spelled that right - they're for greenhouses). Our machines are mostly aluminum with black. For our 10th anniversary my husband is having some of the milled aluminum parts black anodized. I've seen the samples and they're lovely. So yeah - now I'm doing a sideways think about black anodized parts on a sewing machine ... hand wheel perhaps. Will have to ask my husband if it's possible - my knowledge of metallurgy is limited to spelling metallurgy.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Jenn, one day at a time. Don't push yourself. Just do what you can each day. Time does heal.

Sharon, congratulations on the sale of your FW. I didn't know you had a tan FW? I have 5 FW's, but not a tan one!

Steve, great job as usual!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Jenn, one day at a time. Don't push yourself. Just do what you can each day. Time does heal.

Sharon, congratulations on the sale of your FW. I didn't know you had a tan FW? I have 5 FW's, but not a tan one!

Steve, great job as usual!
    Nancy
    Nancy,
    Thanks! I've been trying thin the herd a bit.
    I bought my tan FW from Fred Switzer of Sun Catchers from League City,TX.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Grant ... looks great, and I agree ... over the top - which was your aim.

You have me thinking sideways about something. My husband and I own a small manufacturing company - we make sowing machines (yes I spelled that right - they're for greenhouses). Our machines are mostly aluminum with black. For our 10th anniversary my husband is having some of the milled aluminum parts black anodized. I've seen the samples and they're lovely. So yeah - now I'm doing a sideways think about black anodized parts on a sewing machine ... hand wheel perhaps. Will have to ask my husband if it's possible - my knowledge of metallurgy is limited to spelling metallurgy.
    I might be wanting to do that too. So many neat ideas. Anodizing is something I would love to try on a machine after this project, that is, if this project goes well. Maybe one of those 1950's flat black painted Singer 66's with anodizing the chrome to a Gunmetal color. Now that would be a cool looking Stealthy machine! Maybe one with some red or gold anodized pieces too. OH BOY! You got the wheels turning now!
    As far as the parts to be plated, anodizing needs aluminum to bond to it. Whereas Nickel or Chrome need steel. Hmmmm. Most Sewing Machine parts are Steel or Iron. Rarely did they do aluminum. Especially before WW2.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    I might be wanting to do that too. So many neat ideas. Anodizing is something I would love to try on a machine after this project, that is, if this project goes well. Maybe one of those 1950's flat black painted Singer 66's with anodizing the chrome to a Gunmetal color. Now that would be a cool looking Stealthy machine! Maybe one with some red or gold anodized pieces too. OH BOY! You got the wheels turning now!
    As far as the parts to be plated, anodizing needs aluminum to bond to it. Whereas Nickel or Chrome need steel. Hmmmm. Most Sewing Machine parts are Steel or Iron. Rarely did they do aluminum. Especially before WW2.
    ~G~
    Grant, I have enough crappy machines to experiment with on that one...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal.
    It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    I messed with a Spartan 327 - I sort of wonder if the same 'body' was used for the 328
    It does a nice stitch - it's spool pin was broken off - needs to be drilled out or something so I can put in a new one
    Ok so someone changed how pictures go on here??? I can't do it at all now... bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    Hey I scored a 227 tonight. The CL pic was so bad, I thought it was a 185, only tan. Anyone have any experience with these? I hope it cleans up well, but it is boonnne dry. The owners manual has little notes from the original owner on how to thread, etc. Also got some attachments....
    I got one for Christmas. Rusty as heck, the slide plate missing, and bobbin rusted in place, but it cleaned up better than I thought. I borrowed the slide plate off my 237 and sewed a little with it, but haven't had much chance to play with it. Can you scan the manual? I cannot find one anywhere. It seems like a fairly strong machine, with an industrial look to it, to me anyway.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    If you're into doing e-machines, a 301 is aluminum for sure and isn't a FW, too?

Blog Entries
    A Touch and Sew is aluminum and would be a worthy candidate for any experiment - if it doesn't turn out you could take it to the recycle place. If it turns out it would be like gilding a lily with mud... but it would be practice...

so if Melinda wants a copy of my manual, and I have access to a copier that will scan to email, is that the best way to do it? this is a 3x5 book so I could unstaple it and mess around I guess.
    or should I use my ginormous regular scanner, blow up the pages, and then save them as a .pdf?
    any ideas?
    No, I haven't touched the 227 yet. Or the new 12k. And I have two others that need me, also.
    BUT, my DH is being furloughed due to sequestration , and I am taking on extra projects for the hours. When I do, you can bet I will have questions.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.