Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4075 of 4403 FirstFirst ... 3075 3575 3975 4025 4065 4074 4075 4076 4085 4125 4175 ... LastLast
Results 40,741 to 40,750 of 44029

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Well, yesterday was my play date with the lady with the trapezoid sewing cabinet that houses a 15-91. I had thought that after doing some maintenance and a sewing lesson or two plus some cash, the machine was to be mine. I was wrong. I misunderstood her apparently. Not whining here just deeply disappointed.

She wants me to do a maintenance on her 8 - 10 machines and clean up those that need cleaning plus make sure they all sew and then help her with her living estate sale when she sells all but one of her machines. For this, she will pay me cash and I have 1st dibs on the 15 in the trapezoid cabinet. I left her house deeply disappointed yesterday. DH was happy on the other hand because we don't have another new machine in the house. So we have another play date set so I can continue to work on her machines.

My question is this: How much do I charge her for my time effort and knowledge? I am not a professional but I got her Kenmore 117-959 up and sewing yesterday which she had been unable to do. I do not know and am hoping for some group wisdom, guidance and/or suggestions from all y'all.

Chris
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

If I have to take a sewing machine to my OSMG he charges me about $50 plus parts.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    If I have to take a sewing machine to my OSMG he charges me about $50 plus parts.
    Thanks for this. It's food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    About the same here in IL. $45 to $65.
    ~G~

My LSMG charges a $65.00 service fee + parts as well.

Don't let her off cheep, make it worth your while.

Joe

http://www.etsy.com/listing/92018217...sewing-machine Hey, Miriam, look at this. I have been searching for your specific White Machine. Some are close but not it yet.

LSMG here, well 50 miles from here, is almost $80/hour plus parts. I hate that he is so high, and plastic machines are not much more than that anyway, so it influences sales. He knows me and sometimes cuts me a deal, because he knows I might bypass him, and buy offline to fix it myself anyway.
    Last edited by melinda1962; 03-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Melinda, I saw that and they sold them already.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    I sold that perty yellow clone today - it was made in Indonesia - when did they make clones there? I thought clones came from Japan.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Melinda, Joe Caroline & Grant: Thanks for all the replies about servicing the machines for this lady. I will need to figure out a fee but probably not an OSMG fee since I'm not one. I will need to keep in mind the cost of supplies and travel time.
    Sad news here in Leavenworth ~ the local sewing machine shop has closed its doors but probably about 8 to 10 months ago. They were a source of some spare screws occasionally plus bobbins, bobbin winding tires and sometimes a machine. She also sold thread and zippers (my main purchases there) and did alterations. It is sad another local business has closed.

Adoption

Thanks guys, i guess I just needed someone to say a wasn't daft or harming the value of the machine, but When I got them they feel like my babies and I just want to dress them up and make them my originals. I want to put pics up, but I haven't figured out how yet. But i also just accidentally bought a featherweight. I know, how do you accidentally buy a sewing machine, well here it is. You take a visit to Ebay, in a smartphone, with finger muscles that jerk and twitch. So, when i was aiming for the watch button, somehow I hit a buy it now button. Well, i figured $29 plus shipping, cant go wrong? Right? Welllllll.... I would love to show you a picture of a very naked featherweight, soon as I figure out how. Well, when i get it in im headed to my favorite sewing shop to see what is missing. Thanks for the support!