Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4090 of 4420 FirstFirst ... 3090 3590 3990 4040 4080 4089 4090 4091 4100 4140 4190 ... LastLast
Results 40,891 to 40,900 of 44191

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Hi Vintagemotif,
    I used alcohol soluble aniline dye in black from http://leevalley.com/ but you can order it from any woodworkers cat.(no specific brand) The gold paint is testors in high gloss that you can find in any hobby store. I used a small artist brush to paint the decals. You may need to thin paint out a bit to make it flow easy just don't make it to thin so it runs.
    You may want to get a light brown for the shading if needed.
    Skip
    OMG! Shading! Eeks. I didn't think of that. I need to find photo of machine with decals still intact.
    The paint is thinned with what? IF needed.

Thanks!!! Big Bear HUG!

Blog Entries
    I think a little turps is all you need to thin and you can get in small bottles at the same place you get the paint. No need to buy a big can of thinner it just takes a very small amount. After mixing the dye with the alcohol use shellac as the binder to make a black paint so to speak so you can apply it. If you have any questions during the process just ask away. I am glad to help anytime.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I think a little turps is all you need to thin and you can get in small bottles at the same place you get the paint. No need to buy a big can of thinner it just takes a very small amount. After mixing the dye with the alcohol use shellac as the binder to make a black paint so to speak so you can apply it. If you have any questions during the process just ask away. I am glad to help anytime.
    Skip
    Thanks!!!!The weather is great for working outdoors now; so, this project is ideal to work on now. This has been on my to do list. At first, I didn't want to deal with the decals, but I'll be brave.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Thanks!!!!The weather is great for working outdoors now; so, this project is ideal to work on now. This has been on my to do list. At first, I didn't want to deal with the decals, but I'll be brave.
    Go slow and with a steady hand. Have fun with it and you will like the results. I like working outdoors and the light is always good. Besides being cleaner air it is just fun to work outside with no fumes.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Just go slow with a steady hand. It is much more fun to work outside and light is always good. Have fun with the painting.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the double post did not think the first one went thru
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
    Dano and Mom3, I think we have triplets as I have one also but the slide plates are both there and it sews beautifully. I refurbished it and the cabinet and my DH painted the irons. It sits proudly where it can be seen by all who enter my home and always gets exclamations of its beauty. Aren't we lucky?
    Donna
    It would be sweet if Steve could copy your front slide plate and make replacements for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
    It would be sweet if Steve could copy your front slide plate and make replacements for us.
    That could be a cottage industry making those slideplates. Someone could make a small fortune given how many of them are missing. ... WORLDWIDE!!!
    Just saying ...
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    That could be a cottage industry making those slideplates. Someone could make a small fortune given how many of them are missing. ... WORLDWIDE!!!
    Just saying ...
    ~G~
    I think you are right.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I would be first in line for the side plate...but I'll get one eventually.