Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-31-2013, 12:24 AM

Light: I fight with small flash lights for up close detail work, and clamp on lights with the twisty 100 watt equivalent neon blubs.

Knobs: I have a bunch of Kenmores and so far no stuck nobs. Just one machine with a cranky top tension. I guess I'd just use the Tri-Flow oil or a good penetrating oil with some gentle persuasion until it surrenders and frees up. I have a 3 # hammer I can threaten them with if needed.

ATF: Won't hurt blue paint or any other color either. Just don't leave the machine idling in gear ...... LOL

Tensions: I usually do take them apart, clean and adjust them, after I've done everything else and test run it. I have a Singer 328 I just finished most of it's cleaning and the tension disks are rusty. BUT ..... for some reason the tension is good. At some point I'll have to take it apart and clean and polish, or replace the disks, for for now, it ain't broke, so I ain't gonna fix it.

Smoke belching blue clone: I'll bet something is bent and binding. Smoke from the nose???????????? Is there a light in that area? If not that bent throat plate makes me want to think somethings bent and really binding up.

Joe
Old 03-31-2013, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Light:

Smoke belching blue clone: I'll bet something is bent and binding. Smoke from the nose???????????? Is there a light in that area? If not that bent throat plate makes me want to think somethings bent and really binding up.

Joe
Bent needle bar has occurred to me, too but the smoke is from the top front rear hole by the take up lever disks - and it makes a good stitch. If the needle bar was bent I doubt it would make a good stitch. I do see a little rust. I don't think I've ever seen rust up there and no place else. That machine is nice otherwise.

I noticed that you can't get that lamp anymore. The one I have is the clamp on one like it. The light is great - the switch is garbage and the clamp is a PITB.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 AM

I'm interested in this too... my Singer 27 VS2 with the sphynx decals is in almost perfect condition, but the decals have rubbed off in just a couple of places so I'm wondering if it would be good just to touch them up a little and then they would be absolutely perfect - is that the done thing, or not??

Anyway, my query in relation to your response Glenn, which may be silly - but isn't the black paint black japan? Is there a reason why you wouldn't use this? I only ask because I have heaps left over from doing our floors and I presumed it was the same stuff.

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I think a little turps is all you need to thin and you can get in small bottles at the same place you get the paint. No need to buy a big can of thinner it just takes a very small amount. After mixing the dye with the alcohol use shellac as the binder to make a black paint so to speak so you can apply it. If you have any questions during the process just ask away. I am glad to help anytime.
Skip
Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
I'm interested in this too... my Singer 27 VS2 with the sphynx decals is in almost perfect condition, but the decals have rubbed off in just a couple of places so I'm wondering if it would be good just to touch them up a little and then they would be absolutely perfect - is that the done thing, or not??

Anyway, my query in relation to your response Glenn, which may be silly - but isn't the black paint black japan? Is there a reason why you wouldn't use this? I only ask because I have heaps left over from doing our floors and I presumed it was the same stuff.
Japan on these old machines was baked on stuff like asphalt but the black testors paint is a good match also the the aniline dye in black with shellac will give you a look more like the japan finish.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Light:
Knobs: I have a bunch of Kenmores and so far no stuck nobs. Just one machine with a cranky top tension. I guess I'd just use the Tri-Flow oil or a good penetrating oil with some gentle persuasion until it surrenders and frees up. I have a 3 # hammer I can threaten them with if needed.

ATF: Won't hurt blue paint or any other color either. Just don't leave the machine idling in gear ...... LOL

Joe
A hammer won't help at all - probably bend the shaft or break something. I have had them soaking in T-F for months. Every once in a while I shoot them up again...
I shoot up all the moving parts, too - something must be getting missed. There is very limited access to some of them.
Most of the knobs now work - probably all but one on each machine.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
A hammer won't help at all - probably bend the shaft or break something. I have had them soaking in T-F for months. Every once in a while I shoot them up again...
I shoot up all the moving parts, too - something must be getting missed. There is very limited access to some of them.
Most of the knobs now work - probably all but one on each machine.
Be glad you only have a tension to deal with.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 AM

Miriam,

The hammer comment was a joke ..... you know, HA HA, that kind of comment. Although the one with the cranky top tension was darn close to meeting with Mr. Hammer at one point.

Blue Clone with the smoke and squeal. Could there be thread wrapped around the shafts behind the face plate? I've dug lots of thread out and that would and could cause trouble.

Just a thought.

Joe
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Miriam,

The hammer comment was a joke ..... you know, HA HA, that kind of comment. Although the one with the cranky top tension was darn close to meeting with Mr. Hammer at one point.

Blue Clone with the smoke and squeal. Could there be thread wrapped around the shafts behind the face plate? I've dug lots of thread out and that would and could cause trouble.

Just a thought.

Joe
Joe This one does not have good access to know if there is thread - there is rust
Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 AM

Happy Easter to all! I awoke to sunny weather this morning, not a cloud in the sky. The weather forecast earlier this week was for rain on Sunday. Last night there were thunderstorms; so, I presumed that it would be raining this morning. I'm sharing with you my wisteria that are right now blooming in my garden, a bit of spring for those that still have winter.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]405490[/ATTACH]

May your day be filled with fun, either tinkering with the vintage machines or sewing pretty quilts for someone to cuddle under. A prayer goes out to all, those present and those no longer with us. Peace
Attached Thumbnails img_4735.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 AM

I noticed that you can't get that lamp anymore. The one I have is the clamp on one like it. The light is great - the switch is garbage and the clamp is a PITB.[/QUOTE]

OH NO! I love that lamp! I should have bought more than two! I'll keep an eye out at my local IKEA and see if it comes back into stock.........Laura