Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Thanks for this, but really... It is not a contest to see who is "better" but a safe place so we can ALL share, learn and help each other. Post your work, please. We(I'd) love to see the fruits of peoples labor.

I have learned FAR more from my students, than I ever learned from my teachers....
WHAT!? OMG! I never meant the post to refer to a "contest to see who is "better"" when I wrote that yesterday. I was just stating that my only contribution to your thread would be my photos of my repaint once I get that project done. This was just my response to the conversation I had read on wanting to see other folks' work on that thread you had started. I think it is wonderful that you have started a thread on refurbishing sad looking machine. I too would love to see other folks work.

When one shares, others learn. From sharing, all learn too, teacher as well as student.

Now back to my quilting, the quilting project must get finished first before I can work on painting a machine.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Has anyone ever found a 15 clone that came with a manual? I've been searching for several weeks, to no avail.
Lots of Singer 15 but with 1941 or 1946 dates.
Mine is a 15-90 just like this with a different badge, am assuming with the colored tension they date to the 50's.

Were the Singer 15's truly identical to the clones?
I have one, no two 15 clones that came with a manual. Even though the manuals came with the machines they are generic at best.
One of the manuals is for the treadle version of the clone, no mention of electrical motors in the manual.

Getting the 15 clone manual of the net is just as good if not better than some of the originals.

Joe
Old 04-02-2013, 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=SteveH;5972910]SLOWLY... I have surrendered on the top wood and am hunting for an appropriate veneer to replace it. (HOW do you remove the old layer, Heat? I am progressing slowly but steadily on the rest of the cabinet. I am arranging with Michael at Wolfgangs for a Howe Coffin top to go with it!![/QUOT

The veneer the was glued down originally with hyde glue( Hot Pot) so heat will soften the glue enough to get a putty knife under the veneer to help lift it off. Work fast if the glue cools it will stick hard again. Denatured alcohol will help also. The original glue was mixrd with water during the melting process so it will also help in the release of the glue. It is chore but worth it. Get all the loose veneer off before you start to make it easier.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mery View Post
Dear everybody,

I am from South America (Uruguay) and I am writing to you because I have a sewing treadle machine, a very old one but I do know nothing about it. What I can tell you is that this machine was in my grandparents house for more than 60 years.
Marķa
Maria, can you post a picture of your machine? It sounds like it might be a clone. There is another thread here for just them. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html
~G~
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
The veneer the was glued down originally with hyde glue( Hot Pot) so heat will soften the glue enough to get a putty knife under the veneer to help lift it off. Work fast if the glue cools it will stick hard again. Denatured alcohol will help also. The original glue was mixrd with water during the melting process so it will also help in the release of the glue. It is chore but worth it. Get all the loose veneer off before you start to make it easier.
Got it!. It just occurred to me that I will get a MUCH better idea of the original nature of the veneer top by looking at the underside. Less likely to have been stained. cool. Then I can find the veneer. I think i will have to go online to get the veneer. The local Orchard Supply, Home depot, and Lowes had no idea what I was asking for. (Lowes was even though I showed them the online ad with it showing local inventory of 5)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM

Strange my Lowes usually has in stock. There are lots of woodworkers cat and on line sites that sell the veneer.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Not trying to move the thread in the wrong direction, but it really is true that my advanced students only start to become truly skilled once they begin to teach others. I think the process of translating the techniques into concepts for people who have a different learning style than their own is what leads to real understanding.

It is the same here in a sense, we all get better because we see other peoples point of view and ways of approaching an issue.

Thanks for this, but really... It is not a contest to see who is "better" but a safe place so we can ALL share, learn and help each other. Post your work, please. We(I'd) love to see the fruits of peoples labor.

I have learned FAR more from my students, than I ever learned from my teachers....
You are so right - there was so much I learned when I taught my children in home school. I have learned a lot on the board some times by my own trial and error, some times when I've helped people figure their machine out, and some times by watching what everyone else is learning. I love it! Thank you everyone!!! But this sure ain't no contest of any sort...
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Has anyone ever found a 15 clone that came with a manual? I've been searching for several weeks, to no avail.
Lots of Singer 15 but with 1941 or 1946 dates.
Mine is a 15-90 just like this with a different badge, am assuming with the colored tension they date to the 50's.

Were the Singer 15's truly identical to the clones?
I have only seen one original manual. It was a pamphlet - one page folded in thirds. That manual you can down load has s whole lot more information.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:38 PM

thanks everyone, re: feedback on clone manuals, I will go ahead and download the one from ISMACs

Sew Classic is a great site, I've been through it many times. and ordered stuff for my treadle of course

Another Singer question, are the post holes in their cabinets/desks consistent? My 15-90 pins are 10" outside to outside. Since i can't lift the 15-90 it better go into a sewing machine table methinks, or I'll never get to use it..
Old 04-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

The Singer machines and cabinets seem to be consistent for the post holes at least the vintage machines. Antique, I don't know. The machine length can vary there are about 3 sizes of the vintage machines. 3/4 size for the 99s and Spartans, etc, regular like for a Singer 15 or 66 and then the 401 & others are sized longer.. and that is VERY simplistic.