Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Cogito, Re-reading this, I realized that you had said Vintage. I guess that I should have asked first if you were looking for an authentic vintage part. Or a part that would go on a vintage machine.
The Chinese made ones work fine. A serious Hand Crank sewer would probably disagree though. Vintage pieces are hard to find by themselves. On line auction and classified sites would be the best place to start your search. Estate sales and garage sales as well as resale shops have turned up gems too.
~Grant~
You just need deep pockets...
Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
You just need deep pockets...
Yep, I have no doubt of that. My machines are "hand crank ready" as they are old enough that they were converted-to-motor machines. I definitely want vintage. No China products for me thanks. What I really want to know is will all hand cranks work on all machines, ie. a 99 vs a 27 for example....the full size vs 3/4. Thanks, Mary
Old 04-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

The Chinese HCs work on anything with the 'motor boss' and that lines up with the wheel. Not all vintage machines have a motor boss - I have several old machines with motors but no boss. Someone put a motor on one that had been in a treadle. The HC will not mount to those machines. Not all vintage machines that have a motor boss have balance wheels that line up - if it is off center it won't work.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Default Texas Trip

Just got back from spending a wonderful two weeks in my home state of Texas. Went to see my wife's brother and family and attend a civil war reinactment. Best of all got to spend a few days with TX Jan and playing with her machines. I would like you members to know she is doing just fine. What a great time we had. After playing with all her nice machine she surprised me with a wonderful gift. A Frister and Rossmann HC. What a great Texas lady she is.
Attached Thumbnails frister-rossmann-sewing-machine-003.jpg   udc-house-tour-001.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 PM

Default Texas trip

I forgot to add my pic.
Attached Thumbnails udc-house-tour-003.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Glenn, How wonderful! Thanks for sharing the photos. Those costumes are just great. I LOVE those flower decals on that machine. I am so glad you had a safe and nice trip and got to spend that time with family and friends.
Judy
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 PM

I've heard about Texas hospitality, but this is just lovely. Did you both make your clothing?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 PM

Glenn, Glad to hear that TX Jan is doing well, and you came back from your visit with a lovely Frister & Rossmann. Your clothes for the Civil War reenactment are so cool. Did you make them yourselves? Lovely photos of the two of you.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 PM

Glenn

What wonderful pictures.

Cathy
Old 04-28-2013, 04:40 AM

Texas is the best. I made everything but the coat. The coat was worn by an actor in the movie Gods and Generals. I make all our civil war clothes. My wife does not sew at all. I got to show off the fishy quilt to TX Jan. Thanks, I just thought you might like to see what we are up to here.
Skip

PS You know I use my vintage machines to make them. W and G chain stitch.