Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Well, I went and looked at the machine. The front door part is definitely gone. But I plugged it in and it purrs like a kitten. A mad kitten, but none the less, LOL. It has some attachments and a lovely cherry cabinet and stool. The "furniture" needs some work, but is not a total mess. The machine needs some cleaning, but did not seem to be anything wrong with it, except the missing door. Why would someone take that off? So, help me here, is it worth the 50 bucks or should I wait for a better machine? And where do I begin to look for a front door for it?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by oldhag
Weedwoman, You have a National rotary machine. She's in a little rougher shape than mine but I have a cabinet that is similar.I can help you out with threading and such when the time comes.
Thanks you so much. Have any idea on the age of the machine? DH is spiffing mine up so hopefully she'll look real good soon. I just love any old machine. I'm hooked. I would love a threading diagram, if possible.
Is there any way you can post a pic of your machine? And I need the threading directions also. I'm ready to plug her in and crank her up. I do wish she were a treadle but I can't figure out any way to make that happen. thanks so much
Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Billy I also have a 99K serial number EL260583 -- What year is this machine? Sometime in 1956?
March 13 1956

Billy
Ok Billy, I don't know how you know the exact date but here is my Featherweight.

AE000531 -- can you tell me the date of this machine?

Nancy
HOLY $^&@% I can not believe the low number you have!!!!

You only have the #530 FW for that run!!! and it was 7000 of them made that allotment. DO not sell it unless you need to that is one of the earliest FW I have seen!!

Billy
Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Billy I also have a 99K serial number EL260583 -- What year is this machine? Sometime in 1956?

Billy
Ok Billy, I don't know how you know the exact date but here is my Featherweight.

AE000531 -- can you tell me the date of this machine?

Nancy
HOLY $^&@% I can not believe the low number you have!!!!

You only have the #530 FW for that run!!! and it was 7000 of them made that allotment. DO not sell it unless you need to that is one of the earliest FW I have seen!!

Billy[/quote]

Wow! I am not going to sell it -- but, I would like to find a later model to sew with -- I love taking the FW to classes! Now that I know how rare it is I will be afraid to use it -- and it sews perfectly!

Nancy
Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Question, the hand crank looks like it is pressed on as I cannot find a screw or pull it off. Had my brother and brother-in-law try it but doesn't budge. Does that sound right. It doesn't have the inner knob for a clutch. There is a small lever that fits in a slot on the hand wheel that acts like a clutch. Sorry would be so much easier with a picture.
So I cleaned enough to get the serial number and called White sewing company today. The machine was made in 1912, so almost an antique. Tonight I am going to try and open the manual. It is very fragile and partially eaten by mice. Doesn't smell too good either.

Today, went to the International Quilt Study Museum in Lincoln. There were some great reproduction quilts and exhibition on quilts from southern Asia.

But went to 5 thrift stores and one antique mall. No machines were rescued. But did get a baking pan for $0.75 for the kerosene spa treatment. And a baseball fabric panels that I can make 4 cuddle quilts for some little boys for $3.00. Overall a good day.

I hope to have the white machine head cleaned and back together before I go home. The cabinet and treadle will have to wait for the next trip. My sister now pulled out a treadle she was gifted from her DH's grandmother. It is a Free but needs the foot plate. So will take some pictures and post next week.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 PM

here is my first find my first day out looking for oldies but goodies, my 503A
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91879.jpe   attachment-91880.jpe   attachment-91881.jpe   attachment-91882.jpe  
Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by leaha
Leaha - GREAT Job! Can hardly believe you can find something like that your first outing.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by leaha
Leaha - GREAT Job! Can hardly believe you can find something like that your first outing.
well could not pass it for the price $10.00 and it just purrs so nice!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by cizzors
I need some help with this treadle I picked up yesterday at a garage sale. I'm getting excited by some of the info I'm digging up and my luck just doesn't run that way!

It's a Wheeler & Wilson D-9. Serial number is 2538191. What I'm seeing so far is that it dates somewhere between 1887-1905. There are no markings/decals on it at all(except the gold medalian on the bed)-in fact, it looks as if someone painted it flat black because I think I see brush streaks.

If anyone could help or point me to a good site for info, would really appreciate it.

I'll post some pics if I can. Not great pics and even worse photographer!
Go to the NeedleBar.org they have all of the information you could ever want.

Billy

Ok. Going to try this again. Billy, I went to NeedleBar as you suggested but not real happy with the site. Maybe I'm to impatient.

I followed all the rules and registered. Had to wait for acceptance which was the next day. Then I had to introduce myself with proper info. That was 2 days ago and still waiting on acceptance. My intro was no different then any other but obviously was not accepted because the post never showed up (as per instructions). I can't even read any posts while waiting to be accepted. I know-their rules.

I give up. If anyone can point me in the right direction to get me started, would really appreciate it.

Thanks again, Karen
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91856.jpe   attachment-91921.jpe   attachment-91922.jpe   attachment-91923.jpe  
Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 PM

So does anyone have an idea for a source of a front door (needle bar cover) For a 500a. I need to call the gal and tell her yea or nay.