Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4144 of 4413 FirstFirst ... 3144 3644 4044 4094 4134 4143 4144 4145 4154 4194 4244 ... LastLast
Results 41,431 to 41,440 of 44122

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    I picked up an Elna like the one I burned out in 1990... This one was full of lint and bone dry oil. It sounds real good now that it is cleaned up. The man's wife left him and took a Kenmore with the Elna attachments and left the Elna with the Kenmore attachments.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/3816143877.html
    somebody on here buy that thing so it doesn't get butchered... I'm out of room. ARGH.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    OK - different kind than I was thinking - the clips go on each side - go at an angle and twist. Pry the spring with a screwdriver to get it slid on.
    I'd better wait until tomorrow. I work better in broad daylight. Thanks, Miriam.

somebody on here buy that thing so it doesn't get butchered... I'm out of room. ARGH.
    It's a beauty! Too bad you can't make room for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoisM View Post
    It's a beauty! Too bad you can't make room for it.
    We are piled high and deep with tables and cabinets - very narrow walk way - something needs to give. People around here don't have basements so they don't want tables. They want machines in cases. I need to have a table sale or something. I have way too many treadle tables, too.

Blog Entries
    Man I wish I lived close to that beauty, I would have it so fast. My Sphinx would look awesome in it.

We are piled high and deep with tables and cabinets - very narrow walk way - something needs to give. People around here don't have basements so they don't want tables. They want machines in cases. I need to have a table sale or something. I have way too many treadle tables, too.
    I live in a 4 bedroom house (no basement) and even I wouldn't have room for it. Though, come to think of it, if it was in my city (or even nearby), I think I'd make room for it in my bedroom. I seem to see a LOT of sewing machines in cabinets listed in Goodwill for pick up only in Indianapolis.

It's a Davis cabinet, most likely for a full sized machine. I wish the head was still with the body.

Jon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoisM View Post
    I live in a 4 bedroom house (no basement) and even I wouldn't have room for it. Though, come to think of it, if it was in my city (or even nearby), I think I'd make room for it in my bedroom. I seem to see a LOT of sewing machines in cabinets listed in Goodwill for pick up only in Indianapolis.
    I have cabinets wall to wall and stacked. I don't have a Davis... Do Davis hinges line up with Singer hinges??? The treadle bases I have do not all have cabinet mates. The machines don't go with them either. Pretty bazaar lot in there... I'm going to have to have a massive sale here or haul them all to your'alls houses.

Among others, I have a Margarette cabinet/legs without a head. The head was a fiddle base. Would a different fiddle head fit in there? The cabinet is nice. I'm short on Singer sets.

Yes I am hauling machines home from GW pretty regularly - so are 2 or 3 others. Someone is specializing in the computer machines. Someone is specializing in machines that aren't computer but does various stitches. They out bid me usually. I don't know them. It would be better if we worked together though. I wonder where all those machines come from. I don't see much on CL at all. I don't know where the machines are going later... I have found a few from garage sales but not enough to burn gas looking. It's a head scratcher. Quite a few of the machines I've gotten have been very nice. Then I have some that are hopeless if I expect to turn a dollar... If you have your eye on one... shrug... Lately there have been some on there I'm just not going to buy. I can't get rid of them if I do... I turned down a couple today. I don't know how to get rid of them fast enough. Maybe I need to load up the truck and go on a road trip.
    Last edited by miriam; 05-19-2013 at 10:05 PM.

That was a great story. One of my Aunts ha mother who made hats for ladies in Sioux City, IA . I didn't hear the story until after the aunt had died , I really would have liked to hear some stories. Love this site and really enjoy all the helpful posts.