Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Karen,

If it's a crinkle it's obvious. They are like bull dogs, so ugly you just gotta love 'em.
But it could still be a -13. Many machines were refinished by authorized Singer shops and the factory during and after WW II. And they generally used the black crinkle paint on them.

Joe
Thank You Joe, My mom's first sewing machine, Singer (1954 yr) she got new when my brother Joe was born, was a brownish crinkle. It became my first machine.I pasted it on to Joe's wife when he got married so this little guy is in memory of it. It will be my only crinkle. The texture bothers me, besides I love the beautiful decals and shiny black paint of all the others

~Karen
Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

I'm the same way about that texture on a sewing machine - it just ain't right...
Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 PM

Me too! I think, for me at least, it is because the machine never really looks clean...ugh!
Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm the same way about that texture on a sewing machine - it just ain't right...
Old 06-08-2013, 02:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
Me too! I think, for me at least, it is because the machine never really looks clean...ugh!
it's not even that - it just doesn't feel right or something - I have a bunch in the shop I can't even bring myself to work on
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 AM

After I work on this one my fingers feel like I have been using muted sandpaper,I can live with it for a short time, then have leave and do something else.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Awww come on now, they aren't that bad. I've got a bunch of crinkles in several colors and if you use a soft cloth, tooth brush and oil they clean right up.

Maybe it's a guy thing ..... I like 'em.
Joe
Old 06-08-2013, 01:59 PM

Oh my! The spousal unit just got back with my new machine...a 15-30 (?) in a #24 cabinet. Serial # AB084394 There's a shine on the front edge of the machine, but no chips, and the decals are perfect!
Gonna have to replace the top of the cabinet tho...looks like Fido had a snack...and there are a couple of healthy chunks of veneer gone from the inside surface when it's open that will have to be fixed too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]417919[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 15-30.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Beautiful machine. I'll bet it sews as good as it looks.

The cabinet corner looks like a rodent of some sort gnawed on it. I'm curious how your gonna fix it.

Joe
Old 06-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Awww come on now, they aren't that bad. I've got a bunch of crinkles in several colors and if you use a soft cloth, tooth brush and oil they clean right up.

Maybe it's a guy thing ..... I like 'em.
Joe
I agree with Joe I like the godzilla finish. Reminds me of a football LOL
Skip
Old 06-08-2013, 02:56 PM

Joe, I think I'm going to have to replace that wood...the whole top. I'll try a filler and see if I can make it look decent, but I'm already thinking that I will probably have to have it replaced. You can see the one chunk of veneer missing under the handwheel, and there's another larger one on the inside of the lid. The base of the cabinet is in great shape...it's got the embossed #24 cabinet...