Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM

I have a Bernina 930 and 1031, used to own an 807. All very good machines. I'm amazed you got it for a mere $10.
Sharon
Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

I messed with a couple machines today. Both Japanese and both nice quiet machines.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]419819[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2-japanese-1-kenmore-1-singer-99-009.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

That one is actually mint green on the bottom and darker green on top - very attractive. LOL and it says New White Designer on the label. No markings on the bottom. Inside the motor says Riccar. This is one very nice machine. Excellent shape. I'm wondering how the case got so beat up. The machine is almost perfect. I had to do very little cleaning. Even the tension wasn't too far off. Bobbin tension was tight but no big deal there either.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

The other machine is a Dressmaker. It is a lovely shade of blue. It needs some disks. I have some disks that go on the shaft but the business end is too big. This one sews real nice, too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]419822[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2-japanese-1-kenmore-1-singer-99-009.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

They both look old car dash boards. At least they were all there.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Joe did you ever find a place to get cases for Singer 99s? The case is missing all but the part with the hinges. I got the 99 fixed up today, too. It was a real mess. I spent all morning on it but it now sews like a champ. I thought I had a pic of it but some how I snapped something else instead. bummer.
Grant I'm wondering if that stuff you buy at the car store to get scratches off black painted cars works on sewing machines. Maybe Glenn has some ideas. This machine has scratches all over from the foot control riding around all over the place.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Then there is the Kenmore plastic wonder. 1995.... I posted somewhere else but I'll post about it here, too...
The machine was one I won on line. I couldn't see it real well so I figured all those nice attachments would be worth the money I spent.
1) The attachments don't go to the machine.
2) The manuals (note plural) don't go to the machine.
3) The machine does not turn.
4) The machine does not have a power cord or foot control...
5) Fred Flintstone might have serviced it...

The attachments will go with some other machine around here and were worth the money I paid - I hope so anyway.
The manuals - well - I have to see if they go with anything in my hoard... but I fear it is the one that goes only in reverse...

Then the machine. This is a 1995 Kenmore with all kinds of bells and whistles... I dug through all the papers. Yes there were papers. This machine was taken to an AUTHORIZED SEARS SERVICE place. They charged $30 - doesn't say what they did - I think I know... The complaint was that it wouldn't sew over heavy material... I figured I had nothing to lose. Why not crack it open and see what there is to see inside a plastic wonder. Nothing to lose, right? Well the first thing I saw was a LOT of very hard gummy dried on oil - I'm thinking 3 in 1 oil... Tri-flow to the rescue. After I got the top of it oiled the machine reluctantly turned. I figured I should clean out the bobbin area - at first I didn't see one tiny little bit of lint.... then I probed. It was packed solid under there. Turns better... I noticed up in the needle bar area that there were threads wrapped around things that move or supposedly move. Almost every thing that moved up there had thread and dried up 3 in 1 oil. I worked on the stitch selector and got it moving. The button hole switch is still stuck ON. No cord so I don't know if it will run or not but I learned stuff.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Joe did you ever find a place to get cases for Singer 99s? The case is missing all but the part with the hinges. I got the 99 fixed up today, too. It was a real mess. I spent all morning on it but it now sews like a champ. I thought I had a pic of it but some how I snapped something else instead. bummer.<snip>
Miriam,

Only one place, "All Brands", and I can't afford the prices for a plastic case and shipping. So ... I still need one.

Joe
Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Well here are the promised pictures of Penny's treasures.
The "new" one is an Elgin. Thought I got a pic of the serial # but it vanished. Am guessing it is from the late 60s to early 70s.
The second one is a 1908 Singer that has had a motor added.
And the final one is a hand crank that if it were a Singer the # would be from 1895.
Pics will be in following post.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 PM

Finally! Kept getting "no response from server " error

Hope I can get the pictures to load
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg