Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 AM

Most definitely!! Lots of couples and even whole families.
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Would a Husband / Wife team be welcome at a TOGA? We've discussed it and have developed a facination about them and would like to attend.

Joe
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Is there one around here? Or is this a do it yourself? I think when Glenn comes we are going to put together as many treadles as we can. Does that count for a TOGA?
Well, TOGA actually stands for Treadleon Gathering and Academy, but there are other vintage machine gatherings as well. ISMACS does MAJOR ones; the Oxford, Ohio gathering (which was last Saturday) is known as the Oxford Sewing Machine Gathering. In short, I guess you can't call it a TOGA unless it's a Treadleon gathering, but if you've got old machines and people who love them, you've got a fun time, no matter what you call it!! I do recommend you join Treadleon and see what the fun's all about. They do have a few more rules than this group--more on topic, etc.--but you learn a lot about machines.

The next one (that I know about) is in Winchester, TN the first weekend in August. BTW, Miriam--there were people from Indianapolis at the Oxford gathering--it's not too bad a drive.

Last edited by Miz Johnny; 07-18-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Information on TOGAs:

http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/events.htm
Old 07-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
Johnny did you get my msg. I am bringing TX Jan to the toga, you remember her from this board and her machine clean ups. Hope to see you soon
Skip
Old 07-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I'm bummed that I missed Oxford TOGA.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 AM

I have to share this. I have been working on a Centennial 201-2 almost every day for about two weeks now. It is in for a restoration. I am almost done with it and yesterday I was to the point of where I was able to test run it for the first time. This is from my page this morning.

THE SQUEAK!!! I finished the wiring yesterday and got it back together enough to do a test run of the machine. There was a squeak when it ran at slow speeds. I looked and looked. Squeak. I oiled and greased everything again. Squeak. I used Tri-Flow. Squeak. I started taking it apart again. Squeak. Took more things apart and I still was getting that Squeak. I couldn't even tell where it was really coming from. Squeak. Squeak. Squeak.
I finally found the squeak. The wire cable that runs inside the machine for the light was rubbing on the upper shaft making it squeak. I was able to make it stop and ran the machine. Sweet, sweet music it is!
I wanted to hear the machine again this morning and, Squeak. The squeak came back. I have some more work to do on it today.
~G~
Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM
Banned

LOL, thank you for sharing an Oh so familiar story.... we are not alone.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Some times the machine with some tiny little puzzling problem ends up being the most gone over machine. It should be a really nice machine when you are done.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Some times the machine with some tiny little puzzling problem ends up being the most gone over machine. It should be a really nice machine when you are done.
You are right Miriam. The cable/wire went from the light to the electric terminal through the machine. It was reverberating throughout the whole machine. I was chasing a ghost. I couldn't tell for the life of me where it was coming from. I re-lubed everything on it at least twice and saw a couple of "iffy" places along the way and got them even cleaner or shinier too. I posted a before and an after picture in the Vintage/Antique photos section. You can see them here.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...30994-123.html
~G~
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Grant, I saw your post on FB - WOW that looks good. I have had machines that I had some stupid thing I had to go over everything over and over. What a machine when it was done!