Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 AM

Oh My! Your hobby is quite impressive!

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Glenn, if it makes your wife feel any better, I joined this group in June 2012...when I got my first treadle. Now I'm somewhere around 100 (i stopped counting)...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Busy, busy!! Have a brand new granddaughter, Skylar Ann!! As a result of her coming a bit early, I've been sewing like mad trying to get her quilt done..."Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow", right?

Other than that, just our busy summer season at work...oh! And a new kitten in the house!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Congratulations, Charlee. Aren't granddaughters wonderful?? I only have one but she's the best.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

How do you hug a sewing machine???
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427154[/ATTACH]
Miss Lovie has fallen in love. The little Singer 99 was not turning at all and the presser foot was not going up and down. Miss L and Wilbur cleaned out the lint and soaked it in oil. All of a sudden everything worked. You should have seen the look. She was so excited that she hugged the machine. She sat and sewed on some paper for quite a while. I'm thinking the poor machine needs more TLC than she is able to give then we will use some thread. BUT it was a fantastic day for her.
Attached Thumbnails little-sewing-machine-mechanics-010.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Busy, busy!! Have a brand new granddaughter, Skylar Ann!! As a result of her coming a bit early, I've been sewing like mad trying to get her quilt done..."Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow", right?

Other than that, just our busy summer season at work...oh! And a new kitten in the house!
Congrats!!!! GKs are so much fun!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Then we have Wilbur the young sewing machine repair guy. He helped me with a Singer 15. It is in time out. No success except we got the presser foot to go up and down. That machine is still not turning. Wilbur and Grandpa took the motor off. Then he started 'working' on a Singer 66 I had for Miss Mercy. Miss Mercy's attention span isn't very long so she left the machine for Wilbur to 'fix' whether it needed it or not.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427155[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails little-sewing-machine-mechanics-004.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

OOPS I had the wrong picture. This one is a better picture of the HUG...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427156[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails little-sewing-machine-mechanics-009.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Do you think the SM addiction is contagious??? I'd say at least those two have been smitten. The Singer 99 was VERY dirty but Miss L loved on it while Wilbur and I worked on the Singer 15 and later the Singer 66. Miss L loves to clean lint. I switched her to a paint brush. She was going through a ton of Q-tips. I use old t-shirt pieces for rags. She loved polishing up the chrome. I wish I had a before pic. Wilbur put so much oil on that Singer 66... When he turned it oil shot up out of the needle bar pocket about 3 ft up. I told him that was why we only use one drop. I'd say he got about a half a bottle on there. I'm not sure he gets it yet - he may WANT to see oil slinging all over the place.

Last edited by miriam; 07-30-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:07 AM

Miriam;
Love the pictures of your sweet grandkids. They are so precious. The stories themselves are both precious and hilarious. I do know how Miss L feels when a non-working machine suddenly begins working. I've wanted to hug some of them or at least tell someone about the success. Congratulations on giving the kids the sewing machine bug & a lifelong hobby - we can hope.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad the bug bit those two. I sure hope they keep it up. It was difficult working with Wilbur on my lap and Lovie next to me. We did nothing heroic - just cleaning and oiling. It was very satisfying for Miss L. Wilbur seems to get enough joy out of squeezing oil on the poor machines and holding a screwdriver. I'm not sure he knows or cares if the machines work or not yet.