Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-04-2013, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Buttonholers are a lot of fun - those old things work better than anything new. Did you clean it and oil it - works even better.
Oh Miriam, of course I did The 201 was the machine that taught me the incredible value gained from a little lubricant (it was seized when I bought it, now smooth as a baby's bottom). Now everything gets a clean and tri-flow before first use.
I couldn't get over the degree of automation built-in to that, well, rather large add-on. I get so happy when old mechanical devices do things that you now need a computer for, and with the 201, it's very satisfying because it does it so much better.
I won a zigzagger on ebay yesterday and can't wait to play with it, too. It has two sets of cams - red and white. It fits my model 66, the newly acquired FW and the 201. Now I have all these toys I just need to learn to sew better!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

I've noticed that most of the time those old button holers have dried up oil. I probably would still have a Viking if it had made good consistent button holes - I sold it and got a Janome with built in button holes. I was never happy with it though... I sold it at a loss... No point in having one I don't use around. LOL... It wasn't until the last couple years I discovered buttonholers. My mom has had one for years with no instructions (do now). Nobody knew how it worked. Her's is one of the real old ones with lots of adjustments. Those old ones are very cool once you figure out how to use it.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:59 AM

Her's is one of the real old ones with lots of adjustments.
So is mine, but it hadn't been used much. It's the same as the one Peter demonstrates here http://malepatternboldness.blogspot....ler-video.html
The number of adjustments was a bit scary, but it's understandable when you see what it does!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 AM

Yup! Buttonholers are wonderful!! I bought one that should work on my FWs but didn't. I really need to figure out it's problem.... haven't oiled it yet so I'm hoping that's all it needs.

Okay, I have a question.... I'm watching this SSM and thinking it's a 15. Am I right? It has the tension on the side and the stitch regulator looks right. I haven't seen it in person but I've been looking for a 15.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-08-10-q.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 AM

I'm not an expert so I can't make that call

But why would you not "stage" that sewing machine better?? A hammer in the picture? A plastic bag hanging off it??

clean up that poor baby, thread it properly , arrange that quilt top to make it look like you are sewing, put out the instruction book so you can see it, and backdrop it with a nice quilt or something

Last edited by Sideways; 08-04-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Jean;

That looks like a 15 to me also but no expert here. She just looks like me 15s. Like the cabinet even though it has some life experience under its belt.

Chris
Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Make them an offer on that Singer 15. I haven't got a parts machine yet - it'll work eventually. Those tables are very nice, too. BAH HA HA "life experience under it's belt"

Last edited by miriam; 08-04-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM

Make them an offer on that Singer 15. I haven't got a parts machine yet - it'll work eventually. Those tables are very nice, too. BAH HA HA "life experience under it's belt"
I have several cabinets with "life experience under their belts" and they have character. I like them with some character because it shows they were used and loved by someone.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Thanks all..... I'll try to get it. It isn't up for auction yet but maybe, I'll have a 15 by this time next week. Wish me well. I hope everything is there and works. I'll try to plug it in to try it but if other people see me running it, it may go too high. I'm not one to spend a ton of $$.... but I like the looks of this one.

Miriam, if I do get it..... do you have any parts I may need???? Just asking. I could take a trip to Indy in the fall. My sister lives north of town and I haven't visited her in quite a while.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Miriam, if I do get it..... do you have any parts I may need???? Just asking. I could take a trip to Indy in the fall. My sister lives north of town and I haven't visited her in quite a while.
I don't have any Singer 15 parts machines yet but the jury is still out on a couple. Wilbur and I worked on one the other day - it is in rough shape. It still doesn't turn but I didn't turn Wilbur loose with Tri-flow - he just used an old can of regular oil. I need one with a really small hole... Right now that one needs to have all that oil Wilbur baptized it with cleaned off... So far I've gotten even the worst ones to work. Sew-Classic has had the parts I have needed. I think Wilbur was disappointed when his didn't work and Lovie's did. I put that pic on my avitar - I couldn't resist - she looked so cute hugging that little 99. I think she would like to keep it but her momma says a Singer Spartan is enough and they can all share. I think I will help her sew with that machine as soon as I put it through it's paces. I just let her get lint out, clean the goop off and oil it. Wonder of wonders - it turns. The Singer 15 in bad shape needs some finish work. Glenn is coming some time in September - maybe he will mess with it some if he stays long enough. I have a mile long list of things to do when he comes. DH is trying real hard to get my new shop room going by then but there have been set backs and delays right and left. You and your sister are going to have to run by. If you don't get one by then maybe there will be a nice one around. Rumor is that Glenn is bringing a Singer 15 he has reworked.