Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 AM

Steve, I have a favor to ask. Could you take a close up of the G&B shuttle and of the machine with the bobbin winder. I am not familiar with the G&B No 9. I am fairly sure I can thread the shuttle but want to be sure. Thanks a bunch.
Skip
Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Steve, I have a favor to ask. Could you take a close up of the G&B shuttle and of the machine with the bobbin winder. I am not familiar with the G&B No 9. I am fairly sure I can thread the shuttle but want to be sure. Thanks a bunch.
Skip

I'm in the same place. I have been asking around for threading diagrams and asking some folks who have them, but no replies yet.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post6222524

here is where i posted the shuttle pics including how i threaded it.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Thanks Steve, the only thing I did diff was to bring the thread thru the long slot and then to the tension holes. The tension I think is increased by the no of holes you lace the thread thru(like the singer 12). I like you have received no replies to my request for info so trial and error it is. Someone out there has a manual we can look at I am sure. Smithsonian was no help(no image available). I will keep looking and maybe with luck we will find something on the No 9.
Skip
Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 PM

Steve and Glenn;

Have either of you asked on the ISMACS digest site?? You might find something there and please let them know that the Smithsonian was no help so you don't have a bunch telling you to try there. It's just a thought but they might be able to help.

Chris
Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Banned

you know I have never actually used that portion, just the online research...
Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
So, I solved the problem of the non-sewing sewing machine. Moral to the story is not to believe the instructions that are posted for a sewing machine. I just for the heck of it tried threading the machine from right to left, instead of the instructed left to right, and...... IT SEWS JUST FINE. Sew, don't believe all you read.
EXACTLY - we aren't all there with you to help you on the spot - some times the dyslexia kicks in, too... some times you just have to do what I do - fiddle with it until it works.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 PM

I have to share this. I did a restoration on a Singer 201-2 and sent the lid(s) for the cabinet out to be refinished. It had some really deep scratches in it at all four corners, wear marks and scratches and pits too, and it was just overall dull. I got the lid(s) back today and they turned out BEAUTIFUL and flawless.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]430288[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 201-cabinet-top-before-after.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Wow Grant15
That just makes it all worth it. I wish I had someone close that would do that reasonably.( an that well!)
Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Grant;

Holy Cow!!! That is absolutely stunning. I agree with Windblown's statement about having someone close to me.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Grant;

Holy Cow!!! That is absolutely stunning. I agree with Windblown's statement about having someone close to me.
Chris and Windblown, Thank you. The pictures don't do it justice though. It really is spectacular! I have rethought all of the cabinets I have now. I want him to do all of them. Good and Bad. It is worth it to me to get everything right on the right machine. This was the cabinet for a 201-2. A worthy recipient of this kind of treatment.
~G~