Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 PM

I have an interesting machine that was gifted to me today. No attachments or manual but it is a lil black Singer. The serial # is PA070279. The serial # is in front underneath when you lift up the machine. It looks like a 99 but has a 15 vertical bobbin and case and there is a lever on the right side by the arm that drops the feed dogs. The tension is numbered and found on the front. It has a light whose cover is broken but it looks like an add-on which is clipped on from the screw for the face plate. it is missing all power cords and foot controller but it's a 3 pronger and I have some to share. It is not a potted motor. I will see if I can get the 2 pics to download - my camera died then.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what model this might be?

The bottom picture shows how the light is hooked onto Fred.
Attached Thumbnails mystery-machine-front.jpg   mm-face-plate.jpg  

Last edited by chris_quilts; 08-26-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Banned

not my "era" so I'll let others speak to what i don't know... But that is Cool. The finish looks like it would be really really nice with some buffing and a new clearcoat....
Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 PM

Default Newbie to the Vintage Sewing Machine World and to Participating in an online forum

I am new to this whole process, but I am more than willing to learn. So any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.

I received a new "old" baby today. A beautiful fiddleback 127-year-old Singer sewing machine. It was cleaned and works as smooth as a whistle. I love sewing and quilting, and I can't wait to make a quilt top on my treadle machine, but I need some help. I have access to at least one metal base with a treadle. But I don't have a cabinet for a fiddleback machine, and I'm not sure I can find one. I'm wondering if there are directions or a pattern for making a cabinet. I have two wonderful carpenters, my husband and son, who I have no doubt could make almost anything. I also have another son who is a master craftsman with a milling machine who can make almost anything out of metal. (Aren't I lucky?) Any help with directions or a pattern would be greatly appreciated.

I also have another beautiful machine that my husband and I bought at an estate auction about 30 years ago. It is has a beautiful cabinet with curved drawers. I have not seen one like it online. I am sure there are others, but the head and the cabinet are beautiful. I just got a new belt for it today as well. This cabinet has a chain mechanism in which as the top wood to the left and opened it slowly moves the machine into position to be used. It also has some of the attachments, but I can only speculate as to what they are for. As I quickly glanced at this forum, I saw some pictures so I know I can review but with 4230+ pages, but it may take me a while. (So any guidance or other online references would be greatly appreciated). I will try to share some pictures if I can get this to work. (Pics aren't uploading not sure what I did wrong. So any help here is appreciated as well.)

I have absolutely no business starting another project or interest. I have more than I can do in my current lifetime, but I love the history and the women who lived so long ago. I'm intrigued to think about what they could share about their life and to imagine what they were able to create with their feet and hands as they guided the fabric to become a work of art or merely an item of utility on these jewels. What a story these machines could share!
Thanks for any help you can offer. DReid

Last edited by dreid; 08-26-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Banned

oh, you posted to the wrong place to avoid "starting a new interest"

that is what we specialize in helping/enabling folks TO do!

Note: Fiddlebase... Fiddleback is for musical instruments (Grin)

I do not want to "hijack" this thread further on this, if you would like some assistance with the plans for the cabinet/deck for the 127 go ahead and PM (Private message) me.

Steve
Old 08-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
I have an interesting machine that was gifted to me today. No attachments or manual but it is a lil black Singer. The serial # is PA070279. The serial # is in front underneath when you lift up the machine. It looks like a 99 but has a 15 vertical bobbin and case and there is a lever on the right side by the arm that drops the feed dogs. The tension is numbered and found on the front. It has a light whose cover is broken but it looks like an add-on which is clipped on from the screw for the face plate. it is missing all power cords and foot controller but it's a 3 pronger and I have some to share. It is not a potted motor. I will see if I can get the 2 pics to download - my camera died then.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what model this might be?

The bottom picture shows how the light is hooked onto Fred.
I have no idea what machine you have either. I have a 3/4 size 15 clone so I wonder if Singer turned out a few 3/4 size 15s? Hopefully somebody else with no pictures will hijack your topic and we can figure this one out. The pictures I would like to see are the dark underside and the bobbin area. Have you set it next to a clone and looked at the two together? I have only had one of the 3/4 size 15 clones - I don't think they are very common and that one isn't very common either. The expert would be Rain Noe. His blog is: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/ I think if you send him a pic and a description he might be more help than I ever could be. Did you check the serial number? Check with Glenn or Grant before doing the outside clean up.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 AM

Miriam & Steve;

Thanks. I will try to post more pics today but have to get one of the cameras up and running. My cell takes lousy pictures. I know I needed pics of the underside and bobbin area, case and bobbin but DD taking pics, not me, so I got what I got. I hadn't thought of a 3/4 15 because I didn't know they existed. I will contact Rain as well. Thanks for the help.
Had thought I might start a separate thread about this machine.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Miriam & Steve;

Thanks. I will try to post more pics today but have to get one of the cameras up and running. My cell takes lousy pictures. I know I needed pics of the underside and bobbin area, case and bobbin but DD taking pics, not me, so I got what I got. I hadn't thought of a 3/4 15 because I didn't know they existed. I will contact Rain as well. Thanks for the help.
Had thought I might start a separate thread about this machine.
Can you measure the bed length and width? And does it take class 15 bobbins? Upper tension is making me scratch my head because of the placement. By looking at the badge, it was made after 1951. The light looks similar to a Pfaff light. One that would go on a 130. And I think it is supposed to be under the faceplate and would not need that washer. That feed dog drop is throwing me off as is the serial # not on top. And the take-up arm is kind of beefy compared to other Singers. I know that some were made overseas and this does not have any writing on the top of the machine, so it could be one of them. I am getting my guess in. Late 50's - early 60's foreign made machine. But that is just a guess. I will be interested in knowing more about this machine when you find out. And yes, I think that machine will clean up nice.
~G~
Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM

I checked the Singer site and they list the PA prefixes as starting in 1954. They don't give any more info though.
ISMACS doesn't even list the PA prefixes.

That is a very interesting machine. It's set up for dual thread stitching. I'll be following this thread cos I'm really curious.

Joe
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 AM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

Chris, look at this site
http://www.sewingshop.com/dateyourmachine.aspx

It shows that the serial #'s that start w/PA were made in PA to PY - Karlsruhe, Germany. This info is a the bottom of the page.

I will also be interested to know what you find out about it.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Grant's right it isn't a clone - my thoughts were that if they made a smaller clone they could make a smaller what ever that machine is. The smaller clone I have looks to me like they just shortened the base. That one doesn't look like it has a smaller throat plate. Maybe somebody was experimenting...

Window #135 has the different size clones... http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...164361-14.html

Last edited by miriam; 08-27-2013 at 12:45 PM.