Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Woe is me. I'm trying to figure out how to find a screw. I need one to reset the stitch length controller on a Singer 241-13 It is an industrial. They have 3 possibilities to change the stitch setting - well 4 if you remove the setting thingy. Then at a factory nobody can change the stitch lengths. HMM... I'm thinking I need more information than the manual is giving me. I think I also need a new screw.
We have a working 241-12 If there is anything I can do to assist, let me know. Our stitch length adjustment is on the handwheel. You depress the center button on the top cover, move the hand wheel until it "drops" into place, and then adjust the length setting by turning the handwheel, then release the button. Viola!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
We have a working 241-12 If there is anything I can do to assist, let me know. Our stitch length adjustment is on the handwheel. You depress the center button on the top cover, move the hand wheel until it "drops" into place, and then adjust the length setting by turning the handwheel, then release the button. Viola!
I've had the top plate off and explored. I got that part of it, Steve - mine has a short stitch length at the longest setting it will go to - there are suppose to be 3 settings in there (per manual), there is only one screw near as I can tell - the selector will not move to a bigger stitch and it is NOT stuck - it will go shorter but not longer. I don't know if I can pull that screw out and move it or if the world will end if I do. I don't know if I have to come up with other screws for it. It makes real short stitches.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Banned

I see the instructions of page 16-19 of my copy of the manual. Including the part regarding setting it so it cannot be adjusted. Does your manual have the info on the same pages?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

yes - that is what I'm wondering about. How can I change the settings?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I can see that it may need a different screw to get the longer stitches. I'm wondering how to get one.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Wilbur sold a sewing machine tonight. I had an ad on CL, baby sitting kidos, Walter with a smelly diaper and no wipes... so I told the Wilbur and Miss L to behave - as in stay in the kitchen and eat something... Well, Wilbur just had to answer the door. Then he told the guy where the machine was. He told the guy he oils all of my machines for me. I told the guy Wilbur is a regular priest when it comes to oiling machines. Then Miss L tells him she cleans all the lint out of all the machines. Me? I just hang around and watch... Wilbur told the guy that machine plugs in to the wall and you push the pedal and it sews. The guy had a real hard time not cracking up. Oh and when we loaded the truck we gave the kids each something to carry. Wilbur got to carry the most important part - the cord. Miss L carried the manual. What ever. My shop is not the same. Child labor and all that. I think the guy thought he was at a comedy show. Not everyday you get that kind of entertainment....
Old 10-07-2013, 05:58 PM

Red face

Miriam, your dear Wilbur and Miss L must keep you laughing a great deal of the time. I know that after you post of their antics, I just crack up reading about them. I miss having GK around but mine are too old to keep me laughing and the GGKs aren't old enough and live too far away. I envy you.

I bought 6 machines for $80 a couple days ago. Now to get rid of the backache from loading them and hauling them back out of the car again. They were filthy and needed to be cleaned by just brushing the dirt off and a damp cloth before I would even consider putting them in the garage. I paid the most for the treadle Propeller with Junker Ruh irons and a coffin top. The other 5 are green Singer EP192144, a 66 in a peeling greenish veneer cabinet, a Brother Fleetwood, a 15 (I think) ND865707 and a 15 AK 170104. The Propeller was disassembled and shipped from Germany where a fellow in the military had purchased it used about 20 or more years ago and then reassembled in the US when he returned and gave it to a friend. I haven't had the time (or desire) to do anything more with the machines. I am leading a group of about 6-8 at my home on the cleaning and refurbishing of the wood and the metal so with the ones that I had previously purchased, each "student" will have a machine of his or her own to work on. Not too sure about the Brother as it seems to be a bit more modern. Evaporust, here we come. I did take photos but again, time is in my way. It will be next month before I can get to them. Thank goodness the group meets only once a month. Then they can go home and have a month to practice on their own machines. They were refurbishing the drawers on a previously purchased machine when one commented on the slave labor. I told her she was getting paid with knowledge. We are taking it really, really slow.

See what you all started!

Last edited by blueheavenfla; 10-07-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
Miriam, your dear Wilbur and Miss L must keep you laughing a great deal of the time. I know that after you post of their antics, I just crack up reading about them. I miss having GK around but mine are too old to keep me laughing and the GGKs aren't old enough and live too far away. I envy you.

I bought 6 machines for $80 a couple days ago. Now to get rid of the backache from loading them and hauling them back out of the car again. They were filthy and needed to be cleaned by just brushing the dirt off and a damp cloth before I would even consider putting them in the garage. I paid the most for the treadle Propeller with Junker Ruh irons and a coffin top. The other 5 are green Singer EP192144, a 66 in a peeling greenish veneer cabinet, a Brother Fleetwood, a 15 (I think) ND865707 and a 15 AK 170104. The Propeller was disassembled and shipped from Germany where a fellow in the military had purchased it used about 20 or more years ago and then reassembled in the US when he returned and gave it to a friend. I haven't had the time (or desire) to do anything more with the machines. I am leading a group of about 6-8 at my home on the cleaning and refurbishing of the wood and the metal so with the ones that I had previously purchased, each "student" will have a machine of his or her own to work on. Not too sure about the Brother as it seems to be a bit more modern. Evaporust, here we come. I did take photos but again, time is in my way. It will be next month before I can get to them. Thank goodness the group meets only once a month. Then they can go home and have a month to practice on their own machines. They were refurbishing the drawers on a previously purchased machine when one commented on the slave labor. I told her she was getting paid with knowledge. We are taking it really, really slow.

See what you all started!
wah - I want to come & hang out, too.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
wah - I want to come & hang out, too.
I have an empty guest room, shall I reserve it for you? When?
Donna
Old 10-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
I have an empty guest room, shall I reserve it for you? When?
Donna
PM your address - if it is near where I'm going I'll try to stop in for a bit.