Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Billy:
I'm feeling great. I didn't realize how much better I would feel because I didn't realize I didn't feel good to begin with. No more walking in circles in the house. That got old really fast. I graduated out to the street. Now I'm a street walker, LOL!

I don't think I could feel 10 years younger or I'd practically be back in diapers. Kidding! But 10 years ago I was wild and crazy. I couldn't go back to that even if I wanted to. Hindsight and all.

I am feeling great tho, and I do have a new pep in my step. Walked the whole mile and didn't break a sweat and didn't get winded. Now that was a first.

Now if I could just get my doctor to lift my restrictions so I can get back to my sewing room. No bending over tables, no cutting, no lifting. Still have to be more careful than I want to be. I see the doctor tomorrow and hope I get a good report card.

I can't wait to see pics of your next project. It sounds awesome! Just let me know when you will be doing one (with electric, lol) in orange. My ideal color, but I bet you know that by now. Broken record and all.
Brother if you want one in Orange I can fix you up!! And as much as I do not do electric I will make sure it is an electric version just for you.

You know if you find a machine you like I can change colors for you.

Billy
Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maporch
Exciting news! My aunt has passed on my great grandmother's treadle sewing machine to me! She knows how much I love sewing and graciously allowed me to be it's keeper for the family. I would love to find out when it was made, but the only model number I could find was partially rubbed out. I'll post pictures below, I'd be very grateful if anyone could tell me about this machine. So far, it seems to be in close to working condition. It needs a needle, and when I work the treadle it moves the needle but doesn't really work that smoothly, it sort of catches like it might need some oil to run a little more smoothly.
Oil everywhere moving metal touches metal and you should be good. you will have to take the faceplate off to get to the places under there and flip the machine up so you can hit the bottom but you should be good. Also there will be little holes that will be on the arm that needs a drop or two especially around the handwheel.

It is a very nice heirloom and I would be proud to ssew on that piece of history!!

Billy
Old 08-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by BZ quilting

Miz Johnny, I have one of these machines, can you tell me where I can get the spoked wheel and crank? I have been considering doing that to mine.
I have a couple of the converted class 15 machines here:

(http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49886700nFcTBG)
Thanks for the help, but I couldn't open.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:11 PM

I don't know what's with Webshots, but it does that sometimes.

The base on this machine was pretty rough, so peeled the paper off and covered with wall paper for a "custom" look--there's always an answer to every problem!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93884[/ATTACH]

Yellow Brother--I left the electric light on this one, and it's nice to use in poor light.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93885[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-93879.jpe   attachment-93880.jpe  
Old 08-08-2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks Miz Johnny, they look great!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

When you have a link that won't open, look at the url (the stuff up near the top of the browser page that begins with http://). Chances are you will find something obviously wrong there, such as spaces within the url, or some bogus punctuation (in this case a closing parenthesis) at the end. Just fix that by editing and try again.

Miz Johnny, I have one of these machines, can you tell me where I can get the spoked wheel and crank? I have been considering doing that to mine.
I have a couple of the converted class 15 machines here:

(http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49886700nFcTBG)
Old 08-08-2010, 02:17 PM

This is not about webshots. Do all the older machines have wooden or woodlike cases? I bought a dressmaker at Salvation Army and it has a plastic case. Do you suppose they changed out the case?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by maporch
Exciting news! My aunt has passed on my great grandmother's treadle sewing machine to me!
Minnesota B was made by Davis and sold by Sears between 1902 and 1909. (Per Charles Law's Encyclopedia of Antique Sewing Machines)

I would suspect that it uses a Davis long needle (Boye 10), but don't know for sure, and don't know if there's a modern equivalent.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grannysewer
This is not about webshots. Do all the older machines have wooden or woodlike cases? I bought a dressmaker at Salvation Army and it has a plastic case. Do you suppose they changed out the case?
Sounds like they have sometime in its life. The cases that the Japanese machines were put in were not the highest of quality and through the years of being in areas that had moisture, heat and direct sunlight will wear on them.

so you will sometimes find them in aftermarket cases sometimes.

Billy
Old 08-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Most of the old machines from the 50s and 60s had paper or cloth covered wood cases. If they are really scuffed and dirty and can't be easily cleaned, the covering can be stripped off and the cases sanded and finished. They usually look really good--but I don't have that much patience!!
I think the plastic replacement cases came around in the late 60s or early 70s, but don't remember for sure. I know I got one in the late 70's that came in a plastic case.