Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 AM

Miriam, Oxiclean worked well on my nicotine machine. It was a Singer 533 I gifted it to my granddaughter after she made a quilt with it. I think she waxed wit car wax after it was clean.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

clean off all the tangled threads and lint before you oil the irons - put a bit of oil or grease on the turning points
Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
I like the results I have gotten by just wiping down the irons with sewing machine oil.

I have had bad nicotine machines before and when you start cleaning them, they smell worse and it gets on your hands. But after it is clean the smell is gone. Pretty stubborn and nasty stuff though. I have had good results with the wax Miriam. An French made Singer comes to mind. It just takes some elbow grease.

~G~
I've done it a few times and it is not a fun job but this time the DGKs will be doing it. I wish I could put it on a video - it will be fun to watch. I'm not ready to arm them with expensive car wax just yet though. I'm also figuring I'll have to go over it when they leave. BTW the plastic case cleaned up nice with some Dawn and lots of water.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
I like the results I have gotten by just wiping down the irons with sewing machine oil.
~G~
x2 on this. I have some of the most amazing irons, and Nothing but SM oil goes on them...
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM

I know I am not suppose to do this but I used fantastic. on that vigorelli I have. sprayed it on and wiped it off right away. it was the only thing that would cut thru it. then after all that work cleaning it... it has a broken gear and does not work. you may wnt to use a grease cutter by putting on and then off. you can always use the car wax after and shine it up.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of buying this 201K in a cabinet while visiting my sister in Edmonton. Important question is can I take the cabinet apart(ie. legs off) to fit into a plastic tote as I have to fly home to Newfoundland. Is this feasible? Or am I dreaming that I can take this with me. Even if I had to mail some of the legs and maybe the stool? Thanks!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...able/561870567
Old 02-15-2014, 09:21 AM

Hi Rosie,

I've heard of taking treadles apart for this reason, so I don't see why not. Look under the cabinet to see how the legs are attached. If they are just screwed in at the corners, then I don't see a problem. I would not take the body of the cabinet apart though, other than removing the drawers. Also, you will have to really protect the pieces during transit. You may end up with packages that are much larger and heavier than intended.

It may be wise to do as you suggest and to mail, or freight the packages. There are lots of freight services that will even help you pack it up and send it across country...of course at a price. For reference, about a year ago, I had a treadle packed shipped from the Midwest to California for about $150. I can't remember the name of the outfit, but I found them on USHIP.com.

Good luck! ~ Cindy
Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 PM

Default Standard Treadle

This is my recent buy I found at a local antique shop. I'm unable to find much info on the brand. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can find out the age via it's serial no. I did google but came up with just the history of the brand. I'm looking fwd to getting her cleaned up, greased and oiled and back in her cabinet with new belt.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 02-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Hobbykat,

That is one beautiful machine. Unfortunatly, not much info is available on the net on Standard. They were founded in the 1880's in Cleveland Ohio and were bought out by Singer in the late 20's or early 30's. Your Rotary model is called a "Stout", there is also a "Slim".

http://needlebar.org/cm/thumbnails.php?album=261

Jon
Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Nice looking machine, I'd say that the basic guidelines for other models would be appropriate as far as general Clean, Oil and Adjust methods. There is the disadvantage of owning somewhat rarer things, instead of Singers or Kenmores or Pfaffs or... Have you looked to see if there is a Yahoo group?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:46 AM

I wanted to pass along something I posted on my page a couple of days ago. For "Car Guy's (and gal's) that show their cars, this is common knowledge. I don't know why I didn't pass this along sooner.

When you are polishing up a machine, the best material to use is a 100% cotton cloth like an old T-shirt. But don't use one that has been treated with fabric softener. Even the dryer sheets will cause streaks and "oily" spots. This is especially noticeable on black machines. The same goes for waxing your car.

~G~