Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
I found a Wilcox & Gibbs treadle for sale. It would be my first and I find I know nothing about them. The lady said she can only see a number in black that says 1870. I know that isn't the model number. So, basically, 'help'? I am going to go look at it today or tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Most of my collection consists of Singers.
that is a nice machine and in a nice cabinet, too. if you don't mind, how much is she selling it for ?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by singerguy View Post
that is a nice machine and in a nice cabinet, too. if you don't mind, how much is she selling it for ?
She is asking $200. I will be looking at it in the morning. I can't wait. I want to see if it has the glass tensioner on it.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
She is asking $200. I will be looking at it in the morning. I can't wait. I want to see if it has the glass tensioner on it.
if you can haggle some more it will be even better. let us know how it goes.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Banned

the $200 price is not unreasonable, it is not an early glass tension version. Also the spool pin is in backwards.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:38 PM

You're right about the spool pin. I hadn't picked up on that. Steve, can you tell its age from the photo or you just know it doesn't have the glass tension from looking at it. It bugs me that there is only a view of the back of it. Guess I just need to wait until tomorrow. Patience, patience!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Banned

here is the difference.

Automatic - It was this part I saw sticking up from the back that let me know it was an "Automatic"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473719[/ATTACH]

Glass Tension version
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473720[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails w-g-automatic.jpg   w-g-glass.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 AM

That is a cool-looking machine, really old. Does this type of machine sew well? $200 is a lot of money for a vintage machine for my budget but if it's something you want, go for it!! I would imagine these aren't often available (though I've seen a few on CL over the past year or so). Re. hand crank machines, does the old rule that the hand wheel's direction should always go toward the user (or away if rotary) apply? I thought that was primarily out of consideration for the motor. Is this machine a direct drive? The two machines in Steve's picture: in some ways I like the looks of the newer version, in other ways I prefer the older one. Both are really interesting -- a very graceful design.

Now I want one.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Thank you Singerguy, SteveH and KenmoreRulesAll for your help and encouragement. Let me introduce Katie to you. She is dates back to 1889 according to the serial number and this site http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_&_gib...al_numbers.htm

I will be starting a new post about her soon. Sew much to learn about her. Katie is my very first W&G. And, you are right KenmoreRulesAll, not many of these come up on craigslist, especially in my area. Sad to say, we think the owner just had a tragedy in their home. So, no, we didn't haggle the price down. We might have if the household wasn't so grieved.

I have lots of questions but until I get them together here are a few photos...
Attached Thumbnails p1110251.jpg   p1110248.jpg   p1110249.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned

LOL, that is how it starts....

These come up all the time. (the newer ones)

1st, they are chainstitchers not lockstitch machines. Most folks think that the chainstitch will unravel if you break it but it is not the case with these. They make a locking chainstitch that they claimed was even stronger than a standard lockstitch

They must have been doing something right because these were first made inthe 1860's and the last were made in the late 1950's/early 1960's.... Serious longevity.

They are also known as the "silent machine" because they do not have metal parts that interact like lockstitch machines.

The final neat feature is that they have NO adjustments, except stitch length. NONE, not even tension.

A very lovely lady We met at one of our shows told me her mom had used one of these in the 50's to make her entire prom dress. She went through the whole event terrified that the stitching would break or unravel. Obviously it never did, but when I told the daughter about the true nature of the stitch she told her mom and they had quite a good laugh about it.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 PM

This is a very good W & G video which explains threading and how to remove the chain stitch from the machine so it stays locked. Gibbs was a genius IMHO. I can't wait to sew on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjKG9pdacv0

You have probably already seen this.

Anyone have a little wrench I can purchase. It did not come with anything but what you see in the photo, so I am also looking for a manual.