Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-22-2014, 02:35 AM

I've cleaned and buffed all the pieces, took it all apart and examined everything, went over it with 800 grit and oil. The thread comes down around the bobbin with each stitch and is pulled up. Every once in a while, the loop hangs up, the next loop comes down and pulls it all up. (Can you see me practically standing on my head to watch this process while sewing very, very slowly?)

She didn't have a bobbin case and I've bought two, both are not Simanco, but stamped Iris. They both seem to rattle around a bit, maybe are not quite a good fit. I like a mystery but may have to set the 301 up for the third machine, there is sewing I've got to get done. I'll quit venting now.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

Buff it up with aluminum foil.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:46 AM

Been off of here for a while and catching up was a joy! That Pfaff 130 has me drooling. Just curious, that coffee grinding noise was referring to the attachment, not the machine. Right?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM

Hey, Annette -- Yes, the attachment makes all the racket. The 130 itself is actually quite smooth and quiet. The coffee grinder is infamous for not only its noise but for its clunkiness and not-so-great stitch quality. But I don't own the attachment; this is all from what I've read, not from experience. In looking at 130s with the attachment compared to those w/out (sometimes a difference of ~$300 or more), it doesn't seem worth it at all.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM

This is the first time I've used the 301. Its very clean, bought from a sew-vac shop. The tension seems to be just right on top and bottom but it skips random stitches.

New needle, hey what size needle? Standard. My GD's birthday present is a dress from the movie 'Frozen'. My 201 needs a check spring for the tension, my 1941 15 kinda runs a few stitches past where I want to stop. That's not a problem piecing cause I just stop the wheel by hand. Not real good for sewing satin and lace.

I'd panic but the Featherweight is doing just great. So my first project sewing with her. My sons will be proud.

I wonder if the take up lever is slipping off the pin. No time to check that. Anyone?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:47 PM

I bought this one yesterday (along with a 15-90). I'm looking forward to using it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476540[/ATTACH]
And I picked this one up last week for free, complete with all the accessories (cams, buttonholer, needles, etc.). He's moving and so he had to dump it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476542[/ATTACH]
There are free machines out there, ready for pick-up. Don't pay too much for vintage style!
Attached Thumbnails singer201-2-800x600-.jpg   158.17560incabinet.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Nope don't pay too much for anything if you can help it and then sell it for everything you can get... LOL
Old 05-23-2014, 05:19 PM

Kenmore,
You'll love sewing with the 201, its a lovely quiet machine. My 201 is a hand crank, I like it better as a treadle machine. Never a had 201-2, that's what you have.
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 05-23-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
This is the first time I've used the 301. Its very clean, bought from a sew-vac shop. The tension seems to be just right on top and bottom but it skips random stitches.

New needle, hey what size needle? Standard. My GD's birthday present is a dress from the movie 'Frozen'. My 201 needs a check spring for the tension, my 1941 15 kinda runs a few stitches past where I want to stop. That's not a problem piecing cause I just stop the wheel by hand. Not real good for sewing satin and lace.

I'd panic but the Featherweight is doing just great. So my first project sewing with her. My sons will be proud.

I wonder if the take up lever is slipping off the pin. No time to check that. Anyone?
Your 301 uses the same type needle that your FW does, threads the same and needle goes in the same too.
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 05-23-2014, 06:09 PM

Yep, lol Buy low and sell high. I'm always amazed people throw these machines into the trash.

Sharon, when I dragged it inside, the first thing I did is try an edge stitch. I got closer to the edge with the 201 than with any other machine I've used and the stitches are perfectly straight. Awesome! And you're right, it's really quiet and smooth.