Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Rodney will love the VS and not want to use anything else...
Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 AM

looks like it may be a 99-is it not full size but bigger than a featherweight?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Rodney I agree you have to try the VS. They are wonderful.
Skip
Old 06-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Rodney will love the VS and not want to use anything else...
There's also the VF and the TS, RS,and OS. So many great machines so little space <sigh>
Old 06-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
looks like it may be a 99-is it not full size but bigger than a featherweight?
The Singer 99 and 128 are 3/4 size machines, the featherweight is a 1/2 size machine.
Sharon
Old 06-29-2014, 06:07 PM

Well hello everyone it's been a long time since we have been on here. DH has slowed down on his machine collection. Have just had too many other things to get done. He and our son are in the process of restoring a 66 fastback mustang we have owned for 25 years. Good father and son project with little help from a 7 year old grandson. But we did take a weekend off and went into an antique shop. Lady said they had a sales man sample sewing machine back in the back. Went to look at it and it was a featherweight machine with case and attachments. So guess who came home with a little black machine and case. He said it was to join the rest of it's sisters. He has quite a few of the little ladies now both black and white.
Attached Thumbnails p1011016.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 06:09 PM

Ment to tell you it was born Feb. 1952.
Hope everyone on here is doing well and I hope to be able to visit more often. Life has been in the fast lane.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
The Singer 99 and 128 are 3/4 size machines, the featherweight is a 1/2 size machine.
Sharon
Yes the 28 and 99 are about the same size, but not the same weight (28s are much heavier). Just happened to weigh mine and it's just shy of 16kg (that's 35.2lb for the metrically challenged). Don't know about the 99 but it's definitely a lot less than that.

Several things have really shocked me with sewing machines but two of them were:
1. How well the 201 stitches, and
2. What a fantastic machine the VS2 turned out to be.
The 201 because it was an aluminium one and tan coloured, so I avoided using the ugly little thing for months, until I had to sew through several layers of vintage denim. It went through it like the denim wasn't even there and I was in love!
The VS2 sat very pretty for several months in the lounge room. Bought it because of its obvious good looks, and once again had jeans, this time was making them for youngest daughter. Hadn't trimmed the waist band (to make it stiffer) so there were four layers and none of my 23 electric machines could make a buttonhole through that much denim because of the pulling involved. The needle would go through fine, just broke several needles.
In desperation, I put a 1950s buttonholer on the VS2, selected an eye type template and without any tweaking of tensions it just go on with it. Moved the fabric just right and I got a perfect buttonhole and that 201 denim grin that lasted all day. I'm sure the 201 would have done it just as well, but I'd loaned it to my friend.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 AM

Default Needing some help

I have a couple of questions regarding the New Home Light Running (or is vice versa) with the greyhound logo sewing machine. First off, I have 2 of them and trying to rehab/rehome both. I have heard that they take the unobtainium, obsolete CC1221 (or whatever #) needle. I am wondering if this is true. I have 2 packets of 3 needles each. Secondly, one of them came with its tension assembly in 2 pieces, but I have both I hope, and was wondering if it's like putting a Singer tension together. My 2nd machine also came with 3 different size bobbins and I don't have a manual for either so am wondering if someone knows the correct size bobbin. I received a class 15 and 2 others I couldn't readily identify.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 AM

Easier to find needles labelled 20x1, search epay for jsmrepair i think. I'm at work, but my approach on bobbins is, if it fits the bobbin winder, and dropped into the shuttle, doesn't stick past the gop, it has worked for me. There is a table around with dimensions of bobbins. Their tensioners are pretty straight forward, post a pic of what you have will help.