Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Wow, where did my post go? I'm guessing I'm not allowed to post links from CL? Sad. I was hoping someone could give me some feedback
Old 03-21-2015, 04:55 PM

melbo, it is still there, just a page or two back depending on your settings.
MHO is that it looks like a nice machine but may be a little overpriced at $65, offer $50 or less
Old 03-21-2015, 08:02 PM

Melbo,

How do you plan on using the sewing machine? For instance, for free motion quilting none of these would be good choices. Also none of these will make decorative stitches except the plastic one posted earlier. If you decide to look at the plastic machine have it put through it's paces as these are problem prone (from what I hear).

For piecing and plain sewing I'd go with one of the Singers (if I could only choose from these 4) making sure the shuttle is with it. The one is a treadle and the other is electric so make sure wiring is good. I'm not a huge Singer fan but I'd recommend them due to ease of finding parts and supplies for 1st machine. Good luck with your search and don't be in too big of a hurry to buy.

Jon
Old 03-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Power Poster

That Singer 66 or the Singer 99 would be my pick for a nice machine for you - nice looking machines and price isn't too hateful if it is in great working condition. Have someone help you make it sew before you buy. These are pretty simple to use and if you don't learn to sew you might get your money back or at least most of it. The plastic wonders - not so much.

The Singer 15 would be top of my list because I love ugly derelict machines that can be made to work after a few hours of TLC and I really like 15s. That said - it is way over priced for the condition.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by melbo View Post
Here are some more pics. Hope you all don't mind.
You might find that the admins mind. Posting other people's pictures is definitely against the rules, and is the reason the original giggles thread was killed.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
You might find that the admins mind. Posting other people's pictures is definitely against the rules, and is the reason the original giggles thread was killed.
Okay, I apologize. I had no idea about that and entirely my fault. These ads are available publicly. I copied and pasted them in their original ad. Definitely dif than stealing/passing them off as my own. Also, I am not selling any product. If I could go back to edit them out, I would. I unfortunately there only seems to be an edit window and it's gone. I posted links to all those ads and they got deleted... Twice. On a side note, I come from multiple threads where we are allowed to post links first and pictures later. I will make an effort to learnt the rules of this one so everything can run smoothly. Thank you all so much. I am going to buy the Janome today and will contact the a seller about their Singer. Both sewing machines are in my price range, so I am going to have some fun. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2015, 03:52 AM

Okay, I apologize. I had no idea about that and entirely my fault.
You don't have to apologise and (like copyright law) the rules don't have to make any sense. If you haven't been chastised yet you're probably safe on the ones already posted.
They give you 20 minutes to edit a post, which I think was set by the admins.

Old sewing machines are great fun. I'm sure you won't get bored any time soon
Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
You don't have to apologise and (like copyright law) the rules don't have to make any sense. If you haven't been chastised yet you're probably safe on the ones already posted.
They give you 20 minutes to edit a post, which I think was set by the admins.

Old sewing machines are great fun. I'm sure you won't get bored any time soon
Phew! I would feel like a child who's be chastised! I come from LV, Chanel, & Michael Kors Purse thread. I'm looking for a less expensive hobby. Lol. Not sure if sewing will be less expensive but I've got my fingers crossed!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

LOL - it won't be inexpensive if you get the SMAD bug.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:30 AM

Phew! I would feel like a child who's be chastised! I come from LV, Chanel, & Michael Kors Purse thread. I'm looking for a less expensive hobby. Lol. Not sure if sewing will be less expensive but I've got my fingers crossed!
Not sure how many others have been but I have :-)

Sewing machines have a lot going for them as a hobby. Interesting, useful, cheap, beautiful, satisfying (using, fixing, maintaining) and very plentiful. Down side would be the space they take up and potential for injuries (electric shock, dropping cast iron on your foot, back injury, needle sticks).

Welcome