Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-25-2015, 06:59 PM

Nice work Steve. I wouldn't mind a closer look at the helm in the background of one of the pictures either.
Rodney
Old 11-27-2015, 04:02 PM

I just bought a model 15 singer from e-bay. The spool pin that came with it (unattached) does not fit. The model 15 takes a smaller one. How do I designate when shopping for a new one? I thought they were all the same size. I never see any size notation for them when I have seen them for sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Linda
Old 11-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

E
Originally Posted by lolthom View Post
I just bought a model 15 singer from e-bay. The spool pin that came with it (unattached) does not fit. The model 15 takes a smaller one. How do I designate when shopping for a new one? I thought they were all the same size. I never see any size notation for them when I have seen them for sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Linda
Maybe you can buy one of each. I'm thinking those are a pressed fit but you don't want to get carried away. How much too big Is it?

Last edited by miriam; 11-27-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:39 PM

The new pins I've bought always seem to be a poor fit. I've had to grind the end slightly and tap in.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 11-27-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:40 PM

Miriam, It's only a little bit too big but I can't even hammer it in.

Jon, If I can't find a good fit I will try that.
Thank you both for your suggestions.

Linda
Old 11-28-2015, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
E
Maybe you can buy one of each. I'm thinking those are a pressed fit but you don't want to get carried away. How much too big Is it?
Does "pressed fit" mean they're not screwed in? As a newbie, I was looking at my 15K and 99Ks this morning and wondering how they're fitted.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:16 PM

I thought press-fit WAS British English because it doesn't sound right to my American ears either...I would've said they were tap-in spool pins, or something like that.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
I thought press-fit WAS British English because it doesn't sound right to my American ears either...I would've said they were tap-in spool pins, or something like that.
To this Aussie's ears, tap-in sounds right. So to get them out, it's grab a pair of pliers and use a little brute strength? On the Singer 185K I got over the weekend, the spool pin has been replaced with a piece of the correct diameter nylon similar to the stuff found on modern machines.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Press fit is a correct term. Machinists use it. It means that the part needs to be pressed or tapped into it's hole like on bearings. Bearings are generally just a few thousandths of an inch larger than the hole they fit in so they need to be pressed it. It keeps them from spinning in the hole and tearing it up. The shaft that rides in the bearing can be a press fit as well.
Rodney
Old 11-29-2015, 06:29 PM

I joined "Quilting Board" today. I like this place already. In 2011, while browsing through a GW store, I saw a sewing machine case on a bottom shelf. Inside was a Pfaff 230 Dial-a-stitch. At that time, I had no idea what I had found..only that it took all of my strength to load the thing into the tiny buggy. I named it my "Battle Ship". Ordered a manual, took the machine apart, cleaned it, oiled it and put it back together. Whoever donated this machine, I just want to say "Thank You so very much"!! I am currently reupholstering a chaise lounge chair using this machine. MY computer sewing machine can not begin to compete with my under $20. Battleship.