Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Google Goddess

love your sewing machine!

Originally Posted by kathy
I hope I'm attaching a picture of my treadle that I learned to sew on.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 AM

thanks crafty, she's been neglected for 30+ yrs, feeling a bit of nostalgia and decided to get her peddling again.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
Originally Posted by Lostn51
The only thing about this machine is the handwheel has to make two revolutions to make one stitch so it will be excellent for FMQ!

Billy
Why does that make it "excellent" for FMQ?

Just curious :)
For me it makes it easier because I am not feeling rushed when I am FMQing. It will slow me down a bit and I can regulate my stitches better. And it is made for heavier type of fabrics so when I am going over seams and when I bind my quilts it will go a lot easier.

Billy
Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Banned

Kathy that Is a lovely 15 you have there, and you will absolutely love quilting on it! My Japanese 15 is my go to machine and the only one I use for FMQ.

If you feel/look under the bed of the machine you should see a thumb screw to the left before you get to the hook assembly. That is how you drop the feed dogs, just loosen it up and they will drop for you.

Billy
Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 PM

[quote=Lostn51]
Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
The only thing about this machine is the handwheel has to make two revolutions to make one stitch so it will be excellent for FMQ!

Billy
For me it makes it easier because I am not feeling rushed when I am FMQing. It will slow me down a bit and I can regulate my stitches better. And it is made for heavier type of fabrics so when I am going over seams and when I bind my quilts it will go a lot easier.

Billy
Wow, it is amazing what we learn on this forum!

Nancy
Old 09-06-2010, 02:03 PM

so Billy, is dropping the dogs on these machines a darning feature? I mean the original users of these machines probably never dreamed they could quilt their quilts on them did they?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:05 PM

so Billy, is dropping the dogs on these machines a darning feature? I mean the original users of these machines probably never dreamed they could quilt their quilts on them did they?
I think they did quilt on them. Almost all the manuals I have seen have quilting attachments for straight line quilting. I am not sure if they did FMQ.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 PM

[

Billy
Billy, Is it hard to make one of those universal treadle tables? I now realize all these cabinets take up a lot of space. I would also like to have the larger table space in case I ever try to do machine quilting. It sure would mean I would get more tops made into quilts.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Kathy that Is a lovely 15 you have there, and you will absolutely love quilting on it! My Japanese 15 is my go to machine and the only one I use for FMQ.

If you feel/look under the bed of the machine you should see a thumb screw to the left before you get to the hook assembly. That is how you drop the feed dogs, just loosen it up and they will drop for you.

Billy
Billy,Could you take a photo of where the little screw is to drop the feed dogs? My stowaway is a 15 and boy is it HEAVY! I had to stop every other step to carry it upstairs. Is this one of the heavier machine? It must be!!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Honchey
Billy,Could you take a photo of where the little screw is to drop the feed dogs? My stowaway is a 15 and boy is it HEAVY! I had to stop every other step to carry it upstairs. Is this one of the heavier machine? It must be!!
Sure I will post it in a bit!!

Billy