Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Good morning experts!
I bought a manual for my Redeye but it's for the treadle :(
Mine has the motor. My confusion today is that the manual was printed around the time my machine was made so I thought it was the right one.
Anyone have a manual for the motorized to sell??
Anyone need one for a treadle??
Thanks!!!
Sue
sueisallaboutquilts
It doesn't really matter if it's for a treadle or electric machine, the manual will be pretty much the same. Many of my early E machines came with a model that explained both the treadle and motor.
At any rate, the information you need will all be in this manual.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Miz Johnny!! :D
Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 PM

I have a question on what the abbreviations mean from the Singer site.
These were copied from the site as examples.
I understand that K stands for hand-crank.
F-
15K C.S.
January-June
C.S.

What does the C.S. stand for after 15K C.S. ?
F-
23- Cloth.
January-June
CLOTH

And sometimes after the year it will state "cloth". What does that mean?

F-
January-June
R

And, what does the R stand for?

Thank you.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 PM

Here are the machines I picked up over the weekend. The Domestic is a Coffin Top Treadle. The Minnesota, is a treadle, without the cabinet. The Wheeler & Wilson has a W9 on it, but, it says Wheeler & Wilson on it. They aren't in great shape, but, I'm happy with them.

Wheeler & Wilson
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113848[/ATTACH]

Domestic Treadle - top in bad shape
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114033[/ATTACH]

Decals aren't real good
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114034[/ATTACH]

Minnesota - has an L on it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114035[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-113843.jpe   attachment-114028.jpe   attachment-114029.jpe   attachment-114030.jpe  
Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay I will post some photos of a machine and treadle I am working on for a customer. Actually this is just the treadle and it used to be white and was painted with house hold paint from the good old days so you know its full of lead!

So after 2 gallons of paint stripper and 50lb bag of black beauty in the media blaster this is what she came out looking like.

Billy
You did a stupendous job Billy. That base is just plain gorgeous! I am sure you will have a very pleased customer.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysJustBeth
I've taken a couple pictures of my machine and attachments. I really would like to know what the 2 big attachments are. I found 1 needle left in a 3 pack that has 127x1, size 16 on it and a small torn piece of the manual.
Lovely cabinet and machine Beth!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
JAM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.Does the Kenmore 1430 need to be oiled often? Will try to take pic of the Pennecrest for you. Thanks again,Jeanne
Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by Lostn51

So after 2 gallons of paint stripper and 50lb bag of black beauty in the media blaster this is what she came out looking like.

Billy
WOW Billy that must be what our machines looked like new.
I agree WOW!

Nancy
Old 09-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by laura59
Here are the machines I picked up over the weekend. The Domestic is a Coffin Top Treadle. The Minnesota, is a treadle, without the cabinet. The Wheeler & Wilson has a W9 on it, but, it says Wheeler & Wilson on it. They aren't in great shape, but, I'm happy with them.
Wow, this is the first actual Wheeler & Wilson I have seen. The machine shape looks like my Singer 9W, except my machine says Singer and doesn't have that big W on the side!

Great find! It is so much fun to get the old machines and bring life back into them.

Nancy
Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysJustBeth
Geez Nancy, yours is in great shape! I thought mine was too until I looked at it these last few days. I noticed that your decals are gold while mine have a reddish-orange tint to them. I wonder if they will turn gold when I clean them or if it is supposed to be that way. I printed the manual last night. Do you have the same attachments? I'm really intrigued by them. I found this post by Charlee http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45521-1.htm that shows other needle options. Guess I'll need to start looking for bobbins too. I did buy a new belt on ebay last night. I'm sure the leather shoestring will be integrated into one of my MANY projects that are being further delayed now that I found this shop. Beth :roll:
Beth, my machine does have the reddish-orange tint, but it is not as pronounced as yours. I didn't have to clean my Singer 9W. This is the shape it was when I bought it. Your machine is a little older than mine so maybe that made the difference or maybe mine should be more orangish? Miz Johnny could probably answer that question as she has Wheeler & Wilson machines.

No I did not get any attachments! You are really lucky that you did get the attachments!

Yes, Charlee and Billy are looking into the needle thing with the 9W machines. You are lucky you had a needle with the machine. Those 127X1 needles are very hard to find and if you do find them, you will pay through your teeth for them.

Nancy